• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Scripture, a Hard Look

user4578

Those sentences are still directly contradictory.
So 1 Samuel 15:29 was preceded by 1 Samuel 15:28; Samuel was telling Saul that his reign was over and that God wasn't going to change his mind about the matter. How then is that to be construed as an absolute statement about whether or not God ever 'repents'? You'd have to ignore the entire context of that book to make such an argument.

Nous

Premium Member
You made the first statement. Prove what you said and I will prove what i said.
Gladly.

I said, "One cannot regret having done something that one considered to be a good and worthy act except by changing one's mind about it being a good and worthy act." My statement is true on the basis of the definition of "regret":

1. To feel sorry, disappointed, distressed, or remorseful about​

regret

If you regret something that you have done, you wish that you had not done it.​

Regret definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

To do something that one considers good and worthy, then to regret ("feel remorseful about"; "wish that you had not done") it, indicates that one has changed one's mind about the goodness and worthiness of the act.

Nous

Premium Member
So 1 Samuel 15:29 was preceded by 1 Samuel 15:28; Samuel was telling Saul that his reign was over and that God wasn't going to change his mind about the matter.
These are the two assertions that contradict each other:

The word of the Lord came to Samuel: I repent that I have made Saul King... (I Samuel 15:10 to 11)

God will not lie or repent; for he is not a man, that he should repent (I Samuel 15:29)

omega2xx

Gladly.

I said, "One cannot regret having done something that one considered to be a good and worthy act except by changing one's mind about it being a good and worthy act." My statement is true on the basis of the definition of "regret":

1. To feel sorry, disappointed, distressed, or remorseful about​

You have moved the goal posts. You equaled regretting with changing the mind. You can regret what you did without changing your mind. Of course one can change their mind about a deed being good or bad.

regret

If you regret something that you have done, you wish that you had not done it.​

Regret definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

To do something that one considers good and worthy, then to regret ("feel remorseful about"; "wish that you had not done") it, indicates that one has changed one's mind about the goodness and worthiness of the act.

Again you have move the goal post or I misread your original statement.

The fact that you feel regret about something you did, does not indicate you changed your mind about its value.

user4578

These are the two assertions that contradict each other:

The word of the Lord came to Samuel: I repent that I have made Saul King... (I Samuel 15:10 to 11)

God will not lie or repent; for he is not a man, that he should repent (I Samuel 15:29)

I'm not sure with this statement you did add anything except repeat what you already said. It doesn't address the notion that verse 29 referred to a specific situation, which you are taking strictly as an absolute statement in order to justify your claim of contradiction.

Nous

Premium Member
You have moved the goal posts.
My goal was to show that my statement--"One cannot regret having done something that one considered to be a good and worthy act except by changing one's mind about it being a good and worthy act"--is true on the basis of the definition of "regret".

Evidently you do not dispute that any of those facts.

Nous

Premium Member
I'm not sure with this statement you did add anything except repeat what you already said.
That's correct. I didn't need to add anything to fact already established, that these two statements contradict each other:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Even if you are given an exlpanation, you would not believe it, so what's the point?
He is not the only one who would see your explanation.
So it does appear that you are in essence saying that NO ONE would believe it, so why bother.