• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bigots 1; Dubai Ports World 0

kevmicsmi

Sounds like common sense to me, but I wouldnt stop at the UAE, I want to know why China owns part of our ports in California :eek:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Darkdale said:
So what does everyone think about the xenophobic victory orchestrated by the bigots in our congress?
All else being equal people get the political leadership they deserve. It's shameful.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
kevmicsmi said:
Sounds like common sense to me, but I wouldnt stop at the UAE, I want to know why China owns part of our ports in California :eek:

Foreign Investment is extremely important for the US economy. These companies are creating jobs for Americans that wouldn't be there otherwise. These kinds of free-trade agreements and access to each others' markets are what keep the peace. We put our trust and security into each others hands and make decisions that are mutually beneficial.

greatcalgarian

kevmicsmi said:

Globilization, that is the reason.

In the ideal case promoted by globilization, there is no longer any more nation boundary, the whole world become one, and the group that control the most wealth, control everything. That group is internationalized and does not vow any loyalty oath/pledge to any country except to $$$$ and power.;)

If US is owning this and owning that at many other countries, why can't other countries own a little bit of US here and there? Come on, be generous, do not be a scrooge, share some of your fortune with the less fortunate. :D

kevmicsmi

greatcalgarian said:
Globilization, that is the reason.

In the ideal case promoted by globilization, there is no longer any more nation boundary, the whole world become one, and the group that control the most wealth, control everything. That group is internationalized and does not vow any loyalty oath/pledge to any country except to $$$$ and power.;)

If US is owning this and owning that at many other countries, why can't other countries own a little bit of US here and there? Come on, be generous, do not be a scrooge, share some of your fortune with the less fortunate. :D

Sorry im more interested in OUR best interst, not theirs

kevmicsmi

Darkdale said:
Foreign Investment is extremely important for the US economy. These companies are creating jobs for Americans that wouldn't be there otherwise. These kinds of free-trade agreements and access to each others' markets are what keep the peace. We put our trust and security into each others hands and make decisions that are mutually beneficial.

On most things, I agree, however i would glady pay the economic price to have our ports owned by countries proven to be friendly to the US.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
kevmicsmi said:
On most things, I agree, however i would glady pay the economic price to have our ports owned by countries proven to be friendly to the US.

Never underestimate the power of greed to make loyal bedfellows.

greatcalgarian

kevmicsmi said:
Sorry im more interested in OUR best interst, not theirs

That is human nature, self centred ME (or my group) come first.:D

It is the survival instinct, the driving force of the selfish gene (Hawkins), and globalization is meant to remove that.:biglaugh:

greatcalgarian

DakotaGypsy said:
I am quite uneasy about the connections between the UAE and the Taliban, Al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden.

Actually UAE is dead enemy of Taliban, Al-Qaeda and Osama. Osama tried to stir up a revolution in UAE to overthrow the ruling authorities, and hence he was expelled from his native land.

This fact, UAE being ally of America, was seldom highlighted in the America or Western media. I do not understand why. Bush has been emphasizing this when this port thing pop up.

kevmicsmi

greatcalgarian said:
That is human nature, self centred ME (or my group) come first.:D

It is the survival instinct, the driving force of the selfish gene (Hawkins), and globalization is meant to remove that.:biglaugh:

No, worrying about my country's interests first is common sense:areyoucra

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
I can say that Kev's comments probably come from lack of knowledge about the UAE. I have been to the UAE when I was in the Navy, it has been a regular port stop for those upholding the no-fly zone over Iraq for over a decade since the end of Operation Desert Storm. Dubai is a shining example of the type of progress we would like all over the rest of the Middle East. They are by FAR the most westernized Arab country, including having shopping malls AND a Hard Rock Cafe. Congress is sending a message throughout the entire Arab world that no matter how much they adopt our culture and way of life we will never trust them as our Allies.

kevmicsmi

spacemonkey said:
I can say that Kev's comments probably come from lack of knowledge about the UAE. I have been to the UAE when I was in the Navy, it has been a regular port stop for those upholding the no-fly zone over Iraq for over a decade since the end of Operation Desert Storm. Dubai is a shining example of the type of progress we would like all over the rest of the Middle East. They are by FAR the most westernized Arab country, including having shopping malls AND a Hard Rock Cafe. Congress is sending a message throughout the entire Arab world that no matter how much they adopt our culture and way of life we will never trust them as our Allies.

This might interest you
http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/64126.htm

Or this from 9-11 commision report
Early in 1999, the CIA received reporting that Bin Ladin was spending much of his time at one of several camps in the Afghan desert south of Kandahar. At the beginning of February, Bin Ladin was reportedly located in the vicinity of the Sheikh Ali camp, a desert hunting camp being used by visitors from a Gulf state. Public sources have stated that these visitors were from the United Arab Emirates.151
...No strike was launched. By February 12 Bin Ladin had apparently moved on, and the immediate strike plans became moot.158 According to CIA and Defense officials, policymakers were concerned about the danger that a strike would kill an Emirati prince or other senior officials who might be with Bin Ladin or close by. Clarke told us the strike was called off after consultations with Director Tenet because the intelligence was dubious, and it seemed to Clarke as if the CIA was presenting an option to attack America's best counterterrorism ally in the Gulf. The lead CIA official in the field, Gary Schroen, felt that the intelligence reporting in this case was very reliable; the Bin Ladin unit chief, "Mike," agreed. Schroen believes today that this was a lost opportunity to kill Bin Ladin before 9/11.159

http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report_Ch4.htm

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
DakotaGypsy said:
I am quite uneasy about the connections between the UAE and the Taliban, Al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden.

The United States helped put the Taliban in power and we helped arm bin Laden. Should we therefore ban American companies from operating our ports too?

kevmicsmi

Darkdale said:
The United States helped put the Taliban in power and we helped arm bin Laden. Should we therefore ban American companies from operating our ports too?

No, arming Bin Laden was the best option at the time.

kevmicsmi

Darkdale said:
How is this any different from the choices made by the UAE government?

Good point, however, I would rather be safe than sorry. Dardale, from reading your posts I really respect your opinion on these matters, did you read the links I provided earlier in the thread? What is your opinion on these?