• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bigots 1; Dubai Ports World 0

Faminedynasty

Darkdale said:
The United States helped put the Taliban in power and we helped arm bin Laden. Should we therefore ban American companies from operating our ports too?
Yes, not only should no foreign company manage US ports, no company should manage US ports which should be the nationalized property of the people of the United States.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The stabilization of other countries IS IN OUR BEST INTEREST. We try to do with a gun, that which should be managed by our economic policies.

Cultural and economic isolationism is what enabled WWI, WWII as well as several other attempted genocides. We don't need to keep repeating the SAME mistakes over and over again.

No*s

Captain Obvious
NetDoc said:
The stabilization of other countries IS IN OUR BEST INTEREST. We try to do with a gun, that which should be managed by our economic policies.

Cultural and economic isolationism is what enabled WWI, WWII as well as several other attempted genocides. We don't need to keep repeating the SAME mistakes over and over again.

While I would almost certainly not go as far as you, I would second you on that ND. Frubals :). Companies can, and normally will, exert considerable influence to prevent their profits from being disrupted.

kevmicsmi

NetDoc said:

Why dont we just hire them to run our military then, oh and the secret service.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
kevmicsmi said:
Why dont we just hire them to run our military then, oh and the secret service.
That would probably mean the end of the $2,000.00 toilet seat. Do you think we could cope?

But that's not what I said, now is it? Greed begets greed. The more we excel at spreading some of the wealth the more stable these countries become. The more stable they become, the more likely they are to buy our goods and far less likely for them to attack us.

But, if you can't see past the end of your nose, then none of this will make any sense.

kevmicsmi

NetDoc said:
That would probably mean the end of the $2,000.00 toilet seat. Do you think we could cope?

But that's not what I said, now is it? Greed begets greed. The more we excel at spreading some of the wealth the more stable these countries become. The more stable they become, the more likely they are to buy our goods and far less likely for them to attack us.

But, if you can't see past the end of your nose, then none of this will make any sense.

I dont think the UAE will gain "economic stability" from owning one of our ports. The UAE government has bonfires with hundred dollar bills. I agree on certain things its better to globalize, but not on any area that could remotely, possible, maybe hurt our security.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
kevmicsmi said:
I dont think the UAE will gain "economic stability" from owning one of our ports. The UAE government has bonfires with hundred dollar bills. I agree on certain things its better to globalize, but not on any area that could remotely, possible, maybe hurt our security.

Everything can remotely, possibily, maybe hurt our security; and believe me, the United States congress is a bigger threat than the UAE Ports company. Also, DPW was never getting any of our ports. They were getting terminals - it has little or nothing to do with port security. Oh, and if Netdoc and I are agreeing on something, I'll expect the end of all things... maybe I don't understand his motivations.

kevmicsmi

Darkdale said:
Everything can remotely, possibily, maybe hurt our security; and believe me, the United States congress is a bigger threat than the UAE Ports company. Also, DPW was never getting any of our ports. They were getting terminals - it has little or nothing to do with port security. Oh, and if Netdoc and I are agreeing on something, I'll expect the end of all things... maybe I don't understand his motivations.

I agree with you on congress, sad but true, Darkdale would you agree that there is a slight chance, even if this whole deal is on the up and up, that as politicaly savy as al queda is, they could attempt an attack just because the deal goes through to make our government look like they sold us out?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
kevmicsmi said:
I agree with you on congress, sad but true, Darkdale would you agree that there is a slight chance, even if this whole deal is on the up and up, that as politicaly savy as al queda is, they could attempt an attack just because the deal goes through to make our government look like they sold us out?

I don't think there is an elevated risk. I think terrorism that uses our ports is a relatively steady risk and it doesn't matter who operates our terminals.