• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Binding marriage

What binds a marriage

• love

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • God

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • legal documents

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • other(please explain)

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

Cerrax

That One Guy
Well the short answer? Love.

Long answer? Ahem *clears throat*
When I say love, I mean selfless love. The kind of love that feels like absolutely selfish love at first. All you want to do is be with them, and be only with them. This love never really leaves, it just becomes...subdued by a little thing we called life. (Remember life is what happens to us while we are making other plans) But as long as its always there (and it occasionally comes out to play ;) ) a relationship cannot end. But BOTH parties must feel this love. Otherwise its called stalking :p Anyway, people who are truly in love sometimes aren't the best at displaying it, but its there.

I recall a scene from Everybody Loves Raymond, where Ray's mom and dad were fighting like cats and dogs because Ray's mother kept leaving the house at night to take care of Ray''s kids. The father got upset and the fight ended like this:

Marie (Ray's mom): What's the big deal Frank? I'm just over at Ray's house.
Frank (Ray's dad): I want you home when I'm home!
Marie: Why? All you do is yell at me when I'm there.
Frank: Because a woman is supposed to be with her husband!
Marie: Are you saying you miss me Frank?
Frank: No!
Marie: Yes you are.
Frank: No! I hate your guts! I can't stand you! I just can't sleep without you!
Marie: Awwwwww Frank! You do miss me!

Now that's love :D

Doodlebug02

Definitely love though I admit that God should hold a major place in every marriage. :) Well, He should hold a major place in every marriage between Theists anyway! :p

turk179

I smell something....
Victor said:
Love runs out and legal documents are just papers that can be voided as soon as one person doesn't want to work the relationship anymore. I am of the opinion that this view has contributed to people wimping out on relationships. It's just too easy. Why not? There is a hotter chick or guy around the corner who laughs at my jokes..:areyoucra
What do you think I voted? :D
I think I know the answer to this one:D .

Ormiston

I voted other. I'm going through a divorce, so understand I'm feeling very synical about this issue. I think the #1 most binding quality in a marriage is necessity. Perhaps all of the reasons stated above can be looked at as needs in each persons' life. Once children are involved and financial systems are in place though, seperating can become near impossible. That's my take on it.

Ceridwen018

I think its love and the legal documents. Without love, its only a matter of time before the legal documents are done away with. Without the document, its obviously not marriage in the conventional sense. My mother recently went through a tough divorce, Ormiston. I wish you the best of luck in the proceedings, and hope your experience is bearable. If not, you know we're always willing to lend an ear here at RF. Hang in there, buddy.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
To me, God IS love, so by choosing love, I've killed 2 birds with one stone! Love most definately. If you love, your better half, and mine IS the better half, :D , everything you do is for the enhancement of your relationship. Your spouse must come 1st. If you both take that attitude, you have a pretty good chance of succeeding.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Everybody seems to agree that it's all about Love. Ask everybody to define Love and the differences will rise to the surface.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Victor said:
Everybody seems to agree that it's all about Love. Ask everybody to define Love and the differences will rise to the surface.
I don't see them as differences, but just different aspects and the way different people show and handle Love. Different strokes, different folks. :D

Evelyn

jeffrey said:
I don't see them as differences, but just different aspects and the way different people show and handle Love. Different strokes, different folks. :D

I don't think Victor would disagree with you but I think what he is saying is that Love is more then just a feeling and if it's more then just a feeling, what is it? I have a hard time defining it myself.

Ody

Judgement Day said:
The combination of all three. But if you're asking what makes marriage stands up for long, then I vote love. Based on God for your responsibility to God, and based on legal documents for human affairs.
Agreed :bounce