• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blog idea - would you take offense?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
First, I should say that I'm just considering this idea right now. I may not do it.

I had an idea for a blog that I thought I'd run by people here to see what everyone thinks: an atheist (i.e. me) visits different churches/temples/etc., sits through their services, and then writes about the experience.

The idea wouldn't be to be sensationalistic (i.e. no freak show of "hey! Look at the weird stuff that these people believe!"), but I wouldn't plan on glossing over negatives, and - judging by my experiences in church - there's likely to be some negatives. Instead, the idea would be to give a different perspective on what goes on.

I've seen writing projects where atheists or other outsiders actually joined a church and participated as members, only to tell the congregation later that they'd been duped, and that a book or blog was about to come out. It seems like that approach causes a lot of hurt feelings - it wouldn't be the approach I would take.

Instead, each blog entry would be on a single visit to a place of worship. My plan would probably be to not advertise what I was doing... I'm still deciding what to say if asked. Either I could come clean right away and say what I'm up to (which would probably make people change how they behave around me) or I could give them a cover story: either that I'm considering the denomination/religion (which would also probably affect how they would behave around me, and be misleading if not a full-out lie) or that I'm a member of the denomination/religion visiting from out of town (which would create a huge workload of studying beforehand, as well as be, well, a bald-faced lie).

So... what would you think if your church showed up in my (potential) blog?

What would you think if, on reading it, you realized that I had lied to you when I told you that I was "one of you" while I was there?

Skwim

Veteran Member
From my experiences in churches, Lutheran, Congregational, Episcopalian, and Methodist, all of which I found boring, it wouldn't interest me. As for being a member of such a church and learning you weren't a true believer, I'd most likely think, "Okay," and then go on about my business.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What's your motive?
To explore, mainly. I've also been thinking that I should do some sort of "real" writing, and that this would be a good motivator.

I've been thinking that while I can read all sorts of stuff online about doctrines and tenets of different beliefs, they don't always give a good impression of what a religion "feels like" for the people in it... you know?

I was thinking that simply seeing for myself might give a better impression than if I just went up to a member of the religion and asked them to tell me about it... I'm hoping to get the "road test" version of the religion (or at least its worship) rather than the "sales pitch" version.

Another way to look at it would be as something like a travelogue, except instead of exploring far-flung lands, I'm exploring places I've never been that are much closer.

I figured that the blog could have two audiences: other non-religious people (or people only exposed to one religion) who are "along for the ride" with me, and also members of the religions I examine, who could see a fresh perspective on something that's familiar for them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I like the idea. While I see the appeal of the covert aproach, I would favor the overt one. More ethical and perhaps more useful in the long run.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
First, I should say that I'm just considering this idea right now. I may not do it.

I had an idea for a blog that I thought I'd run by people here to see what everyone thinks: an atheist (i.e. me) visits different churches/temples/etc., sits through their services, and then writes about the experience.

The idea wouldn't be to be sensationalistic (i.e. no freak show of "hey! Look at the weird stuff that these people believe!"), but I wouldn't plan on glossing over negatives, and - judging by my experiences in church - there's likely to be some negatives. Instead, the idea would be to give a different perspective on what goes on.

I've seen writing projects where atheists or other outsiders actually joined a church and participated as members, only to tell the congregation later that they'd been duped, and that a book or blog was about to come out. It seems like that approach causes a lot of hurt feelings - it wouldn't be the approach I would take.

Instead, each blog entry would be on a single visit to a place of worship. My plan would probably be to not advertise what I was doing... I'm still deciding what to say if asked. Either I could come clean right away and say what I'm up to (which would probably make people change how they behave around me) or I could give them a cover story: either that I'm considering the denomination/religion (which would also probably affect how they would behave around me, and be misleading if not a full-out lie) or that I'm a member of the denomination/religion visiting from out of town (which would create a huge workload of studying beforehand, as well as be, well, a bald-faced lie).

So... what would you think if your church showed up in my (potential) blog?

What would you think if, on reading it, you realized that I had lied to you when I told you that I was "one of you" while I was there?

I would think it'd be great, because I know of know others that share the same practices as me.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Also, some Churches may be hard to get in....or to get out. Church of Scientology for example.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Also, some Churches may be hard to get in....or to get out. Church of Scientology for example.
Yeah, I realize that. I'm not planning on sneaking in or trespassing. One thing I thought of doing was taking suggestions from people to check out their denomination, so hopefully there will be a bit of self-selection in the process that will gear it toward churches that accept visitors anyhow.

Edit: For instance... I have no plans to weasel my way into a Mormon temple, but I may check out one of their meeting halls. However, it'll probably wait until early Movember so that I'm clean-shaven - from what I gather, a goatee is like a big flag saying "non-Mormon over here!" :D

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My personal recommendation would be not to lie, and to keep it kind of minimal. So if someone asks what you're doing, you can just say you're here because you want to see what it's like, or to learn a bit more, which is true.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Edit: For instance... I have no plans to weasel my way into a Mormon temple, but I may check out one of their meeting halls. However, it'll probably wait until early Movember so that I'm clean-shaven - from what I gather, a goatee is like a big flag saying "non-Mormon over here!" :D
My husband, who is a Mormon High Priest, has had a full beard for all but a few months out of the last thirty-five years. You can wear your goatee, but I'd make sure I wore dress pants if I were you. ;)

Actually, Cardero did visit an LDS Church several years back and posted about his experience. Gee, I kind of miss him and Mrs. Cardero. It's been a long time since we heard from them, huh?

Attachments

• Ziplining.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Flankerl

Why the lies? Why not just ask a congregation to visit them for their services?

Would i take offense? No i would just think that you are a liar.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why the lies? Why not just ask a congregation to visit them for their services?
Yeah... I'm backing away from that bit. I like Penumbra's approach: be honest, but still keep my cards close to my chest.

My thinking was that people tend to behave differently depending on who they know is watching. I don't know whether people would act differently around me if they knew I was an "outsider" or a potential convert.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yeah... I'm backing away from that bit. I like Penumbra's approach: be honest, but still keep my cards close to my chest.

My thinking was that people tend to behave differently depending on who they know is watching. I don't know whether people would act differently around me if they knew I was an "outsider" or a potential convert.
If you went to an LDS Church service, somebody would probably ask if you were "new in the ward" or "just visiting." If you said, "just visiting," they'd probably just welcome you and go on with whatever. If you said, "I'm just observing, trying to get a feel for the way you guys worship," you'd be asked if you'd like to have the missionaries visit you. If you said, "No thanks," the subject would be dropped and you'd just be welcome to observe. Should you decide to go, though, don't make it the first week of the month because that's "Fast and Testimony Meeting" which is different from the other three or four Sundays of the month. To get a more typical experience, go any other Sunday. For the "full effect" ;) stay for all three hours (three separate meetings, one after the other, two of them in a classroom setting).

SarahRuth

I don't see the point, honestly. Churches vary too much, from one denomination to another AND from one city to another AND EVEN one preacher to the next. Even the members of the congregation make a huge difference in the atmosphere of the church itself. The only audience that your blog would be useful to, in my opinion, would be people in your general neighborhood who might actually consider visiting one of the specific churches you mention. That's a pretty small audience. Anyone else would be reading it for entertainment value only, and it seems to me that's not what you're going for. Once it becomes entertainment, it becomes insulting.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Consider it a sampling exercise. It is not safe to extrapolate from it, but there is still legitimate and useful information to be found in the attempt.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't see the point, honestly. Churches vary too much, from one denomination to another AND from one city to another AND EVEN one preacher to the next. Even the members of the congregation make a huge difference in the atmosphere of the church itself. The only audience that your blog would be useful to, in my opinion, would be people in your general neighborhood who might actually consider visiting one of the specific churches you mention. That's a pretty small audience. Anyone else would be reading it for entertainment value only, and it seems to me that's not what you're going for. Once it becomes entertainment, it becomes insulting.
I'd totally be interested in hearing his experience, both with my own church and with all of the others.

rojse

RF Addict
This is a great idea - it would be a blog that I would be interested in reading.

In terms of how you answer questions as to why you are there, I would suggest that you be completely honest with religious practicioners - that you're there as an interested but dispassionate observer wanting to learn a bit about religious worship. I don't think too many religious groups are secretive as to their actions and behaviours so much that they would change it if a single outside observer was attending.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't see the point, honestly. Churches vary too much, from one denomination to another AND from one city to another AND EVEN one preacher to the next. Even the members of the congregation make a huge difference in the atmosphere of the church itself.
Oh, I know churches vary. Heck - I've seen the differences at my wife's church between services on the same day just from which priest is doing the mass. My intent wasn't to portray one church service as the be-all and end-all of what anyone would need to know about that denomination... instead, I'd be aiming for a snapshot: a hopefully honest look at one moment in time.

The only audience that your blog would be useful to, in my opinion, would be people in your general neighborhood who might actually consider visiting one of the specific churches you mention. That's a pretty small audience. Anyone else would be reading it for entertainment value only, and it seems to me that's not what you're going for. Once it becomes entertainment, it becomes insulting.
Hmm. I hope that it'd have more value than that... but since the proof of pudding is in the eating, I guess I'll have to actually go through with it and do this now. :D

Okay... I'm off to check whether any of my name ideas are taken.