• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Mormon is true scripture

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeepShadow--

DeepShadow said:
Katzpur may correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she was referring to archeologicalresource materials. I doubt Katzpur would argue that Joseph had a Bible, which--as others have pointed out--contains accounts of writings on stone tablets and various kinds of scrolls. Those would seem much more obvious choices for him to make such claims about.
That's a good point, DeepShadow. You're right, I did misinterpret that statement from Katzpur.

DeepShadow said:
Do I understand you correctly then, that Joseph might have claimed to have found the writing on just about anything, and it would have not counted for or against?
Yes.

DeepShadow said:
Wow, is this a problem!

I mean, you're perfectly correct, Sprinkles, but the title of this thread is utterly unprovable by archeological evidence, or any evidence other than the witness of the Holy Ghost.
I'm sorry, I did not express myself clearly. I agree with you: archeological evidence cannot tell us if the Book of Mormon is "true Scripture". I was simply trying to communicate to Katzpur that this is a debate forum, and the topic of this thread is the Book of Mormon, thus "an argument over the Book of Mormon" is to be expected (though a candid exchange would be preferable). :)

Ryan2065

Katzpur said:
Of course the evidence is published in Mormon publications. What were you expecting? I assume you are saying that research done by LDS professionals is unreliable. If that's how you feel, it's unfortunate. The original source material is, however, found in the footnotes, and a number of scientific journals are among them (for example: "American Anthropologist," "Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research," "The Civilizations of Ancient America: Selected Papers of the XXIXth International Congress of Americanists," and "American Antiquity.")
The reason I don't like articles ONLY published in Mormon journals is due to the fact that they are biased. If something is only published in a mormon journal that is significant, doesn't this lead you to believe that scientists don't agree with the person publishing?

Ryan2065

Deepshadow, you will have to forgive me but I have not read the BoM. What does it say about metalwork? Doesn't the book of Mormon say that the Native Americans had breastplates and swords and what not as early as the 5th century BC? The evidence offered is this...

Excavations at the Copper Smelting Site of El Manchon, Guerrero, México
The report that this team submitted to FAMSI stated that...
The location of El Manchon, as well as the material remains (pottery, architecture) suggests that this was not a metal production site dominated by any of the well-documented contemporary social groups (Tarascan, Matlatzinca, Mexica). We do have two preliminary dates that cluster around 1300 A.D., but these should be considered very approximate.
Which says to me that this site was used around 1300 AD... no where near the time of the book of mormon... To me this offers no evidence. If I am wrong, please let me know.
http://www.famsi.org/reports/01058/section02.htm

The thing talking about metal being found in Peru is very interesting indeed. I searched google for this, however, and didn't find any non-mormon links that said anything about the Peru discovery, and the links provided don't work. Do you happen to know of any?

As far as the DNA evidence goes... Well as you said, it is neither for nor against anything. =)

For the bat creek stone... You cited something from 1988 that was published in the Tennessee Anthropologist that said that it was not fake. Here are articles published in 1991 and 1993 in the Tennessee Anthropologist that say that it was a forgery...
http://www.ramtops.co.uk/bat1.html
http://www.ramtops.co.uk/bat2.html
Just to let you know, the article you cited was written by McCulloch...
In an earlier article, McCulloch (1988: 116) encouraged readers of this journal to "seek out the views of qualified Semitic . . . scholars" concerning the Bat Creek stone. This we did (Mainfort and Kwas 1991). Frank Moore Cross is recognized as the authority on paleo-Hebrew (cf. McCarter 1993). Yet McCulloch (1993a: 2), an economist by profession, claims that Cross "makes no less than three elementary and readily documentable errors of Hebrew paleography" and goes on to accuse Cross of "shooting from the hip" in his (Cross's) assessment of the inscription (1993a: 5). What is one to make of these statements? Here we have an economist, lacking professional credentials in paleography and ancient languages, accusing a highly regarded professional Semitist of making "elementary errors" and worse. We feel that, particularly in this context, such remarks have no place in a scholarly publication.
I was actually prepared to give you this argument thinking that it was really cool that those markings made it over here so early. Then I did some more in-depth research on it and apparently the Journal that you are citing so many things from thinks that the Batt Creek stone is a fraud. So I am going to have to side with them on this one.

blueman

God's Warrior
angelmoroni said:
First of all all you have to do is google it and you will find plenty of research on the Book of Mormon. Do you really think any of this really proves it wrong or right. I can show all of you errors in the bible. Does that mean that I dont believe in it? No. I do believe that the Book of Mormon is perfect, just like I believe the teachings of Christ are perfect because thats what the Book of Mormon is. Blue man....Do you really believe that the bible is in perfect chronological order? If you do I would advise you to look again.
Was the intent of God's Word to be more of a chronological listing of historical events or to emphasize the attributes and glory of God that was manifested througout the Old and New Testament? It is my belief that God does not need an ancillary document to the Bible to reflect His will and purpose for mankind. All we need to know about Jesus and His work for the Father is reflected in the New Testament. Anything beyond that, especially that which is disseminated some 1800 years later is highly speculative and misguided. I applaud your conviction to the Book of Mormon, so we will respectfully disagree on this issue.:)

Kowalski

jonny said:
Honestly, if the Mormon aren't lost in a fantasy world of their making, then the Moon is made of green cheese. Later day Saints, Later Day Fakes would be more like it.

The whole scenario is ludricrous, almost total nonsense. It just provides more evidence, if any were needed, of the stupidity of large sections of so-called rational beings.

Cheers

K

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mr. S.

Mr_Spinkles said:
I'll outline my points for clarity. The point I was originally trying to make was:

1) The author of the website you provided implies that the fact that Joseph Smith claimed to have translated an ancient religious text from metal plates is significant evidence for the authenticity of the Book of Mormon. I disagree. (Though I do not think that, had Joseph Smith claimed to have translated from a number of other mediums, that would have constituted significant evidence *against* the Book of Mormon, either.)
First of all, I'm really starting to think that this whole issue is not worth the time we're devoting to it. If Joseph Smith had claimed to have found a roll of papyrus or some stone tablets containing ancient writings, I would say that this would neither be evidence for or against the Book of Mormon. The idea that ancient peoples wrote their histories on metal plates was positively laughable in 1830. This is why it seems so strange to me that today, now that other such plates have been discovered, the same folks who would have died laughing over such "nonsense" in 1830 don't see Joseph's claims as extraordinary in any way. Obviously, you disagree.

I supported this by arguing

a) The fact that there were no historical records at the time of ancient writings on metal plates is irrelevant, since Joseph Smith was not aware of the historical records (and therefore did not know of this lack of evidence). If the Book of Mormon was a fabrication, it would not be surprising that he claimed to have translated it from a medium that was not evidenced. If he did know about the lack of historical evidence for metal plates, however, and still claimed to have translated from metal plates, that would have been intriguing. As it is, Joseph Smith's ignorance of the lack of historical evidence for metal plates is neither good evidence for or against the Book of Mormon's authenticity.
Well, if he didn't know about the lack of evidence for writing on metal plates when he made his claim, you can be sure it was pointed out to him right away. It would have been a lot "safer" guess for him to have claimed to find some stone tablets. Most grade school kids that I know are aware that the Ten Commandments were engraved on stone tablets.

b) Throughout history, many mediums have been used to record religious texts, including papyrus, stone and clay tablets, metal plates (stored in all sorts of containers, including stone boxes and clay pots)--even walls and coffins. If a person were to fabricate an ancient religious text, it would not be too surprising if they were to select a medium which has been used to record religious texts in the past, even if they had no knowledge of the most common mediums. Thus, the fact that metal plates are an historical medium for recording religious texts is not evidence either in favor or against the authenticity of the Book of Mormon.
I disagree, for the reasons I've enumerated several times already.

c) Human creativity and imagination is quite remarkable.
Yes, it is.

H.G. Wells wrote about steel tank-like machines years before the advent of tank warfare, and Europeans wrote about giant lizards years before they had knowledge of the komodo dragon. We can accept these and other examples as imagination combined with coincidence (rather than the result of the Divine inspiration/special knowledge of the authors). Thus, it should not be difficult for us to accept that the actual historical use of metal plates might have been coincidental to an imaginative story about metal plates.
Good for them. I don't see them in the same league at all, though. The Book of Mormon is far more complex than any H.G. Wells novel. Besides, H.G. Wells wrote works of fiction, with no intention of trying to "pass them off" as historical. His work didn't have to stand the test of time. The Book of Mormon, on the other hand, has held up to intense scrutiny for 175 years. Dozens and dozens of the "proofs" that it couldn't even conceivably be a true ancient document have been countered within just the last half century. I don't believe that archealogical evidence will ever prove it true. But I would bet my life that it won't ever be able to prove it false.

I want an open and critical exchange of ideas. :)
That makes two of us.

Do you really think that, had Joseph Smith claimed his translations came from papyrus in a clay pot, or clay tablets, or stone tablets, or the inscriptions in a crypt, that would have constituted evidence against the authenticity of the Book of Mormon? (I don't.)
Nor do I.

That's perfectly understandable, but to be fair, the title of the thread is "Book of Mormon is true scripture" and it is located in the debate forum.
You're right. I'm wrong. But from where I sit, it doesn't really look like we're debating whether or not the Book of Mormon is true scripture. It looks more like we're debating whether or not you like my evidence. It all gets down to your opinion against mine. I find the evidence compelling and impressive. You see it as completely inconsequential. That is really the only reason I would be inclined to simply agree to disagree on this subject.

If you would like to continue our discussion, I suggest addressing the points that I brought up in my previous posts, which I have outlined and expanded upon above.
I hope I've covered everything now.

Kathryn

jonny

Kowalski said:
Honestly, if the Mormon aren't lost in a fantasy world of their making, then the Moon is made of green cheese. Later day Saints, Later Day Fakes would be more like it.

The whole scenario is ludricrous, almost total nonsense. It just provides more evidence, if any were needed, of the stupidity of large sections of so-called rational beings.

Cheers

K
Where's the love? That hurt. :(

What happened to this? http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/announcement.php?f=15&announcementid=9

Status
Not open for further replies.