• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bras don't actually work, says French study

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Burn your brasseires, ladies: Scientists say they increase sagging and don't alleviate back pain.

"Countering everything we’ve ever been told about supporting the upper curves, a new study from France says we’ve got it all wrong. Wearing a bra does nothing to decrease back pain, and the support offered by a brassiere actually encourages the breasts to sag. Quelle horreur!

As reported in The Local, a 15-year study led by Jean-Denis Rouillon, from the University of Besançon in eastern France, found that "bras are a false necessity.”

Medically, physiologically, anatomically — breasts gain no benefit from being denied gravity. On the contrary, they get saggier with a bra," Rouillon, a sports science expert, told France Info radio.
source

So, ready ladies? One . . . Two . . . Three, burn those bras.
brab.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I'm not sure if it's true, it's only been conducted on young women. Only two groups, bra less and with bra (no mention if fitted properly). And my last argument, look at tribal women. They don't wear bras and they're quite saggy. Unless you have small breasts, I'm not sure it's an option.

And what NYK said is true, finding the right size is impossible. Most women wear the wrong size, probably including me. Bras are a pain.

I don't think women are going to burn their bras, it's so ingrained into us to wear one and I don't see evidence of it not working.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let me get this right.
A bunch of lecherous mistress mongering skirt chasing Frenchmen publish a study that all women should stop wearing bras.
What next? Studies showing that wearing short skirts, hooker heels & no undies is good for health? I smell an agenda here.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Rubbish. Some of us wear bras because our boobs are huge and we don't like them flopping around everywhere (which can, by the way, range from being mighty uncomfortable to outright painful), not because we have back pain or care if they sag when we're hags.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Let me get this right.
A bunch of lecherous mistress mongering skirt chasing Frenchmen publish a study that all women should stop wearing bras.
What next? Studies showing that wearing short skirts, hooker heels & no undies is good for health? I smell an agenda here.

.....FGS........ shusshhhh!
You do put your foot in it......
Just leave all those nice French scientists alone....... They're scientists, may even be quacks..... errr.... doctors, FGS, so they can't be wrong.

Alceste

Vagabond
I do appreciate a little support to keep them from wobbling around all over the place, but the whole underwire / harness / clasps and straps getup has always been a bit much. I go for tank tops with an extra support layer, lacy camisole thingies or a yoga top under whatever else I'm wearing (that's mainly for work).

The result - I'm pushing 40 and they still look about the same as they did when I was 20.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Rubbish. Some of us wear bras because our boobs are huge and we don't like them flopping around everywhere (which can, by the way, range from being mighty uncomfortable to outright painful), not because we have back pain or care if they sag when we're hags.

Thank you! Couldn't of said it better, myself.

Additionally, Americans tend to have bigger breasts than the French, due to our issues with obesity. I guess that breast size, overall body size, physical condition and health can contribute to the usefulness of a bra as well.

Though I ditched underwire years ago, the right bra yields comfort.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
.....FGS........ shusshhhh!
You do put your foot in it......
Just leave all those nice French scientists alone....... They're scientists, may even be quacks..... errr.... doctors, FGS, so they can't be wrong.
Sometimes me brain makes me say things before fully considering the ramifications.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't think women are going to burn their bras, it's so ingrained into us to wear one and I don't see evidence of it not working.
Figuratively (in a few cases, literally) it did take place in the 60's and, as I remember, resulted in many females going bra-less until the early 90's. Ah, yes, the good years.
218495088110630318_1359302270.jpg

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Bras are abominations. The original commandments, which Moses destroyed, banned bras in no uncertain terms, I believe. Abominations, I tell you! Though I can see how bras might be the best available means of keeping large breasts from wobbling every which way. Not that I'm opposed to watching large breasts wobble every which way, but I recognize the experience might not be nearly so pleasant for their owners as it is for me.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

Yes, that's true. It's uncomfortable when they go everywhere, sweat, etc. So bras are important for basic stability and comfort. But I threw out all my bras (I only ever wore sports bras) as a teenager when I decided to live as a man and have been binding my chest for years which smashes them and causes them to become misshapen. Oh, but the support it provides! :rolleyes: I'm getting mine removed eventually, so I won't have to deal with this nuisance much longer. My deepest condolences to the rest of XX humankind.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've heard of a couple studies on that, but it's not very conclusive and it must depend on the size of the person.

Pregnancy can cause breasts to sag, and so can things like smoking which negative affects tissue elasticity. Just simple aging does it, of course.

As one pointed out, tribes people often seem to be sagging quite a bit. Many of them have been pregnant, some multiple times.

People with large breasts often want or need support, and it's especially important when running or doing other vigorous exercise. I'm rather small in that area myself, so bras are optional for me. But in addition to support, bras and other types of layers can prevent nipples from showing through shirts, if one doesn't want that.

I go for tank tops with an extra support layer, lacy camisole thingies or a yoga top under whatever else I'm wearing (that's mainly for work).
I do the same.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I do the same.

I do that as well, wearing a yoga top underneath, if I'm just at home or just going to get food. I do wear a bra if I go out, due to how my clothes look.

But yeah, I'm small so can get away with it which is quite a nice advantage.

Wherenextcolumbus

I believe it's when your breasts are growing you should avoid wearing an under wired bra, but if you have quite big boobs (unless you have a boob job) for most women they will sag.
Don't let all these pictures of models with perfectly round breasts fool you, that doesn't happen for most women.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I wear a bra because it hold my H's in place. I don't care if they sag when I'm NOT wearing it, I don't care if they sag as I get older. I want them to stay put while I'm working or exercising.

Mine have underwires because they don't really come in my size without them other than sports bras which have the uniboob factor.

A cute bra can make my boobs look even cuter than they are on their own, just like high heels can make my legs look awesome, but usually I'm worried far more about having visible nipples at work than I am about cute boobs. *shrug*