• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Britspeak vs Americanese

I object :mad: and proffer the following evidence.

exhibit a.

_44953645_nesbitt282.jpg

exhibit b.
colin.jpg

Panda

42?
Premium Member
If we can pretend for our purposes here that all Scots have the same accent and all Irishmen have the same accent, I still think the Scottish accent is even sexier than the unbelievably sexy Irish accent.

I won monta, you loose :p

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Irish and Scottish accents are equally sexy. But I tend to think that Scottish men sound better than Scottish women while Irish women sound better than Irish men.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
There are too many different accents throughout the US and the UK to really make definitive statements about them all, but they're very interesting to listen to and speculate on.

For instance, the southern US accent through Virginia, NC and SC is much closer to UK accents than other regional accents in the US.

Here's a few examples of regional idiosyncracies!

British accents:
English Accents ? impressions of accents of the British Isles#

US accents:
[youtube]jOltf7rS-mM[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOltf7rS-mM&feature=related

Interesting stuff! Whale, tew me it eeis innyway.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
There are too many different accents throughout the US and the UK to really make definitive statements about them all, but they're very interesting to listen to and speculate on.

For instance, the southern US accent through Virginia, NC and SC is much closer to UK accents than other regional accents in the US.

Here's a few examples of regional idiosyncracies!

British accents:
English Accents ? impressions of accents of the British Isles#

US accents:
[youtube]jOltf7rS-mM[/youtube]
YouTube - American Accents

Interesting stuff! Whale, tew me it eeis innyway.
I'm actually having trouble hearing the differences between Oklahoma, Kentucky, and North Carolina. The Texas difference is pretty clear, but those others I can't really tell. It's weird, 'cause I can usually hear the little nuances between similar accents. I guess I just haven't been around them enough (having never lived further than 20 minutes away from the beach on the west coast :p)

Also, a question I asked earlier to 9-10ths, does "serviette" mean "napkin" in Canadian lingo? I'm just guessing 'cause that's similar to Spanish and French.

Peacewise

37 years I've been living in Australia. The only Aussie I've ever hear say "Chuck another shrimp on the barbie" was Paul Hogan on the tv.

In real life, the correct ozzy term is
"chuck another prawn on the barbie."

night all.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
37 years I've been living in Australia. The only Aussie I've ever hear say "Chuck another shrimp on the barbie" was Paul Hogan on the tv.

In real life, the correct ozzy term is
"chuck another prawn on the barbie."

night all.

This is funny - it reminds me of a workplace joke we had a few years ago when I worked in professional placement (headhunting).

When we would call a candidate in for a heavy-handed interview at a major company, and we knew it was going to be grueling, I started saying, in a (terrible) Aussie accent, "Call her - Let's throw the ***** on the barbie!" (word for female dog)

Needless to say, this wasn't very PC, and we couldn't include this tag line in any interoffice emails (bummer), so it morphed into, "Let's throw the Barbie on the barbie!" - which was actually funnier in it's own weird way, since it included the mental image of a plastic doll melting on a grill.

Good times...