• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhism (Dharmic): Are all religions different paths to the same goal?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I've believed since I became a Buddhist that all religions are just different paths to the same goal. I've followed the teachings of the Perennial Philosophy, thinking that they were right. The Buddha taught that there would be 84,000 different paths to enlightenment, and I assumed that other religions fit this as well. But something the Buddha said has recently been brought to my attention:

Sakka-panha Sutta said:
"Then Sakka, having delighted in & expressed his approval of the Blessed One's words, asked him a further question:
"Dear sir, do all brahmans & contemplatives teach the same doctrine, adhere to the same precepts, desire the same thing, aim at the same goal?"

"No, deva-king, not all brahmans & contemplatives teach the same doctrine, adhere to the same precepts, desire the same thing, aim at the same goal."
"Why, dear sir, don't all brahmans & contemplatives teach the same doctrine, adhere to the same precepts, desire the same thing, aim at the same goal?"
"The world is made up of many properties, various properties. Because of the many & various properties in the world, then whichever property living beings get fixated on, they become entrenched & latch onto it, saying, 'Only this is true; anything else is worthless.' This is why not all brahmans & contemplatives teach the same doctrine, adhere to the same precepts, desire the same thing, aim at the same goal."
"But, dear sir, are all brahmans & contemplatives utterly complete, utterly free from bonds, followers of the utterly holy life, utterly consummate?"
"No, deva-king, not all brahmans & contemplatives are utterly complete, utterly free from bonds, followers of the utterly holy life, utterly consummate."
"But why, dear sir, are not all brahmans & contemplatives utterly complete, utterly free from bonds, followers of the utterly holy life, utterly consummate?"
"Those monks who are released through the total ending of craving are the ones who are utterly complete, utterly free from bonds, followers of the utterly holy life, utterly consummate. This is why not all brahmans & contemplatives are utterly complete, utterly free from bonds, followers of the utterly holy life, utterly consummate."

So it seems that the Buddha would disagree with my stance. Can other religions be part of the "84,000 different Dharma doors", or does this only include those religions that accept the four dharma seals?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A sufficiently sincere and dedicated practicioner may create valid Dharma from pretty much any religious background, but it is clear to me that the religions themselves are often quite misguided, even tragically and criminally so.

Straw Dog

It seems that all religions pursue different goals because they all begin by addressing a different problem. In mainstream Christianity, the problem is sin and the solution is salvation through Jesus Christ. In Buddhism, the problem is suffering caused by ignorance and the solution is the eightfold path. I think we should respect the differences between religions instead of just imposing our idealistic assumptions onto them.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think the Buddha is actually refuting it. I think he is saying the same thing as Sri Krishna, that there are indeed different ways, some better than others for achieving enlightenment/liberation depending on a person's desires, attachments and personal goals.

Bhagavad Gita Chapter 2:

42-44. O Arjuna! There are people who delight in the eulogistic statements of the Vedas and argue that the purport of the Vedas consists in these and nothing else. They are full of worldly desires; paradise is their highest goal; and they are totally blind in a spiritual sense. They expatiate upon those florid Vedic texts which describe the means for the attainment of pleasure and power, which provide attractive embodiments as the fruits of actions and which are full of descriptions of rites and rituals (through which these fulfilments are obtained). In the minds of these votaries of pleasure and power, addicted to enjoyments of the above description, steadfast wisdom (capable of revealing the Truth) is never generated.

45. O Arjuna! The Vedas deal with material ends. But you be established in the Spirit, in the immutable purity of it, having abandoned all material values, attachment to possessions, and concern with the contraries of life like pleasure and pain, heat and cold.

Chapter 4; without knowing it, all people are on the same path:

11. O Partha! Whosoever worship Me through whatsoever path, I verily accept and bless them in that way. Men everywhere follow My path.

Chapter 7:

21. Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable.

Chapter 9:

23. Those who are devotees of other deities and sacrifice to them with faith also sacrifice to Me alone ... although they use different ways.

Straw Dog

I was talking about the differences between organized religions of course. In actual real life practice, I believe every individual follows an unique path that belong to them and that it cannot be adequately described via reference to a single social institution. It would be Julie's path or Ryan's path for example. I believe our paths are highly customizable.

Last edited:
There is a book called God is Not One, on this very topic.

The essential idea is that each religion addresses a basic problem, for instance, Buddhism actually came about to address the problems of reincarnation and caste system (moksha, by freeing oneself from the original reincarnation and instead embracing the Buddhist path). Christianity is the problem being sin and the solution being salvation. Different faiths means different problems.

Me Myself

Back to my username
All actions are a path to the same goal, which is happiness, the end of suffering and Nirvana.

Religions are no exception.

Straw Dog

In general, I do believe that individuals seek happiness, but we're primarily hardwired just for survival and not happiness. Our minds can be altered to better facilitate happiness, however. I'm not so sure all religions are equally beneficial in this endeavor, although most all of them do contribute to some degree I feel. It's ultimately up to individuals to follow their bliss rather than putting all faith into a single social institution to provide it.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
There are 84,000 dhamma doors because there are innumerable possible mental hang-ups an individual being might have.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I tend to think we live the goal and create the problem on which religions appear to be based upon.

It's a way of navigating the aimless.

Straw Dog

I tend to think we live the goal and create the problem on which religions appear to be based upon.

It's a way of navigating the aimless.

Yeah, I've seen some documentaries about the closest native human beings to our most recent ancestors (apparently via DNA testing). They gauged higher than the international average for general happiness (yes, psychologists can do that nowadays). All they cared about was correct cooperation with and love for friends, family, and lovers. Happiness might not correlate directly with the highest intergalactic cosmic Enlightenment, but who cares when they're genuinely content and happy most of the time? The answer is nobody.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
dyanaprajna2011;3163776Can other religions be part of the "84 said:
Something I could have used instead of the verses from the Bhagavad Gita is what Gandhi said. Though I used them to show that in my p.o.v. Krishna was paving the way for the Buddha. Gandhi said "After long study and experience, I have come to the conclusion that all religions are true; all religions have some error in them; all religions are almost as dear to me as my own Hinduism, in as much as all human beings should be as dear to one as one's own close relatives. ..."

I believe this.

aewbarnes

Andy Barnes
I think that Buddha refers to the specific goal of ultimately reaching Nibbana, for which, holding onto the 'bond' of any belief itself would be a hindrence. He does in many other places, teach according to the capacity of the listener to understand. Even the desire to reach nibbana itself is an attachment and so needs to be overcome as much as any other.
Since it is only the very skillful that will transcend samsara from this incarnation, all progress in our spiritual advancement is welcome and may come from any religious background or belief system.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah, I've seen some documentaries about the closest native human beings to our most recent ancestors (apparently via DNA testing). They gauged higher than the international average for general happiness (yes, psychologists can do that nowadays). All they cared about was correct cooperation with and love for friends, family, and lovers. Happiness might not correlate directly with the highest intergalactic cosmic Enlightenment, but who cares when they're genuinely content and happy most of the time? The answer is nobody.

It's obvious religion arose out of life as it is, and the Buddha as i understand originally saw a problem and then realised upon illumination there was nothing actually admiss to begin with after all.

Buddhism as i see it, points a path not just one of happiness and contentment, but rather of being able to traverse the whole as a living being without manifesting undue attachment to suffering, of which in enduring hardship and pain, the passing through of such things is much less troublesome and traumatic each passing realisation. There is a liberation involved without having any need or want to ignore nuances of life and living that are unpleasant. Buddhists should face such things directly and upon realisation the "sting" lessens through illumination.

Best to run directly at the cause of suffering and discover it truly passess just like our perceptions of what suffering and our problems are, all warranting a religion or methodology to address it.

I see why a tribe can be happy. They live as it is.