• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhism & Discipline

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Would you say some reading about The chain of Dependent origination or dependent arising and where the weak links are would help expand the answer you gave above. That is definitely what came to mind when I read it.

I like the first part of your answer as well, Thanks for that.

:namaste
SageTree

Yes, I think it would. Having "right view" in regards to the nature of the way phenomena exist and change is integral to finding peace in the stream of events.
Once you know how things work, then you can be at rest.

koan

just because one knows how things work, doesn't mean everything will change automatically. One still needs to practice and this is where discipline comes in.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
just because one knows how things work, doesn't mean everything will change automatically. One still needs to practice and this is where discipline comes in.
Herein lies the difference between the Buddhist scholar and the practicing Buddhist.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
You're right Engyo, intellectual knowledge about philosophy and the like are near worthless in comparison to practice.