• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhist Heavens..

lemo

Apart from attaining to Nirvana,would some of you settle for a Buddhist heaven?.....I mean you get to live a bit longer there, a higher plane than that of the human realms...

joea

Oshoyoi
Apart from attaining to Nirvana,would some of you settle for a Buddhist heaven?.....I mean you get to live a bit longer there, a higher plane than that of the human realms...
The Four Noble truths will still apply to you in these heavens..

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
What's the difference? "I" would still be working towards enlightenment, whether "I" am reborn here or there. Besides, it's not like "I" can choose specifically where "I" will be reborn anyway, let alone the question of identity.

Hagbard

I have found the concepts of heavenly realms to generally be a curious one. It has generally been my understanding that the point of the Dharma (or perhaps it would be more accurate to say, one of the points of the Dharma) would be the end of illusion/ignorance, and the experience of liberation/enlightenment. I would hope that a being emmersed in such expereinces or states of "being" would be indifferent to existence in heavenly or hellish realms...hopefully all would have "one taste".

On another hand...it might be wonderfully blissful to experience the richness of a heavenly realm and such bliss could be significant for its own sake, a worthwhile experience to have. Of course one could say the same about a hellish realm.

Ultimately would this all just be speculation? What looks through the eyes and hears through the ears right now, in this heaven or hell realm of existence?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I have found the concepts of heavenly realms to generally be a curious one. It has generally been my understanding that the point of the Dharma (or perhaps it would be more accurate to say, one of the points of the Dharma) would be the end of illusion/ignorance, and the experience of liberation/enlightenment. I would hope that a being emmersed in such expereinces or states of "being" would be indifferent to existence in heavenly or hellish realms...hopefully all would have "one taste".

On another hand...it might be wonderfully blissful to experience the richness of a heavenly realm and such bliss could be significant for its own sake, a worthwhile experience to have. Of course one could say the same about a hellish realm.

Ultimately would this all just be speculation? What looks through the eyes and hears through the ears right now, in this heaven or hell realm of existence?
From that standpoint, the founder of my Buddhist order wrote: "Some Sutras state that heaven lies in the west, or that hell is located underground. In reality, heaven and hell exist nowhere else than our five foot body."

Hagbard

I find that quote beautiful and profound. I would consider it an expression of higher Dharma. Would you please provide the name of this Dharma teacher that you have been so fortunate to have encountered?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Hello, Hagbard -

That would be Nichiren (1222-1282), a Japanese monk from the Kamakura era. He was trained as a Tendai monk, tried reforming the Tendai establishment, and eventually founded his own school of Buddhism based on the Lotus Sutra. He is often seen as a polarizing figure; but I find that if his more seemingly strident works are read in the context of his times, both socially and politically, then his passion and compassion become quite clear.

Smoke

Done here.

I don't believe in all that stuff, but people who do generally say that it's better to be born human, because it's only humans who achieve enlightenment. Gods are still subject to karma and rebirth.

joea

Oshoyoi
The goal is to end the cycle of death and rebirth.... It applies to all those living in Buddhist heavens as well...

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend lemo,

Love & rgds

xkatz

Heaven as a state of mind would be acceptable. As a physical realm it would be self-defeating and pointless IMHO.