• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bumper stickers a UU could love.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Check these out: http://dontblamemeivoted4kerry.com/ :woohoo:

One I like:

goeringwithout

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Generally, yes most are. Although of course being UUs, not all as strongly anti-war as the majority. But peace is something we hold in high regard.

Davidium

NetDoc....

You have now...

In fact, I am a UU who believes that, at times, military force is not only necessary, it is immoral for us not to use it.

Most know that I oppose the war in Iraq, but I do not oppose the use of military force in all situations. In fact, right now I beleive that the U.S. refusal to intervene in the Genocide in Darfur because we are "busy" supporting oil interests in the middle east is a tragedy. We believe in Freedom for Iraquis, but we dont believe in protecting the innocent lives of Africans.

I did not oppose the use of military force in Bosnia, for similar reasons. In fact, I served in Bosnia as a peacekeeper myself.

I beleive that at times the best way to protect life, and to promote peace, must be through military force... but that force should be used to protect the lives of non-combatants, or to get between two warring factions and say that enough is enough.

I believe the military can be used, and must be used, as a tool for peace.... if peace is ever to have a chance in this world. I'm also on fairly good theological ground, as William Ellery Channing believed much as I do...

I supported the ideas behind our involvement in Somolia, but the execution was majorly flawed.

I know, I am the exception in the UU community on this... and I have protested the Iraq war. But I have seen the military used as a tool for peace, a tool to protect life.... and I can think of no better UU mission than that.

So, you've met one now. And dont worry, the UUA leadership knows this about me.. :)

YoUUrs in Faith,

David Pyle
Galveston Island, TX
www.uugalveston.org

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
That's cool... as a UU I was able to make a case to be a CO during the Vietnam war. That's the great thing about UUs; you can make up your own mind. :D

Davidium

As the UU Military Chaplain I aspire to be, I will be a CO.... and still be able to help meet the spiritual needs of our men and women in uniform that I love so dearly.

So, I will end this email now by mentioning the Bumpersticker that I have on my car (Besides my UU Uncommon Denomination bumpersticker).

It says "Deism! The Non-Prophet Religion!"

:)

YoUUrs in Faith,

David Pyle
Galveston Island, TX

laserone

There are also some great stickers and things at http://www.NorthernSun.com I've even bought a few car things that I don't always have the nerve to display. Usually if I'm in a mood I'll stick 'em on before I hit the road. I had a yellow magnetic ribbon specially made that says "Ribbons Are Stupid!" and I got some emblem fish: a sushi one, a fish 'n chips one, and one with a darwin fish pulling a... uh... dominance position on a christian fish. *BUT* I don't display them most of the time because in the spirit of trying to grow in UU, I am trying to be more TOLERANT of other religions and beliefs. You know? I don't hate others for believing different things, but I just get so mad when people tell me how think via their stupid car ribbons and when they try to suppress science in the schools and replace it with religious non-science.
Fish: http://www.evolvefish.com/
Custom Ribbons: http://www.mesavistapress.com/CustomYellowRibbons/
~L.

Davidium

I wouldnt mind having a ribbon or a bumpersticker that said "Showing a ribbon is only acting like you support the troops!"

But, I too must work on my "Being nice" at times.

YoUUrs in Faith,

David Pyle
Galveston Island, TX

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Jensa said:
Are UUs strongly anti-war, or does it differ from person to person? :)
I would say that all UUs are anti-war but not all UUs are pacifists.

I can't imagine a UU who thinks that war is a good thing, including our dear Davidium, but many UUs recognize that war is sometimes a necessary evil. Sometimes killing is the only thing that will stop killing. And for UUs, it's almost inconceivable to stand by and let others be killed without trying to stop it.

Ciscokid

I would say that all UUs are anti-war but not all UUs are pacifists.

Very true. I have an honest question. How would you handle the 9/11 attack if you were President? How would a typical UU respond?

I struggle over when words are needed and when bloodshed is warranted. Thank you for your responses.

truthseeker6

:) War is just a temporary solution to problems. True peace comes with education and the realization that everything each of of does effects everybody else. We are all just the sons and daughters of one god

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Here's one that I saw that a Universalist would love: :D

"God Bless Everyone....No Exceptions."

Davidium

Perhaps this should be a bumper sticker.... and maybe the beginning of an answer for Ciscokid...

"I am a militant pacifist -- I will fight for Peace!" -- Albert Einstein"

I am indeed a militant pacifist. What I mean by that is that there are times that peace cannot come without the use of force. I hate that, but sometimes it is necessary. Bosnia is a good example... we ended that war with force.

The most noble title I will ever have held in my life will not be Reverend... but Peacekeeper.

Yours in faith,

David

Alicia

These are some of my bumper stickers:

coexist.jpg

big_god.jpg

wwjd.jpg

My others are about marriage equality, something else I think most UU's will agree with.