• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buried face up v. face down: What does that represent?

Ozzie

Is there any difference to being buried face up v. face down?

If you think there is a difference, what is the significance?

Personally I feel a face up burial is better, because I prefer the stillness of a permanent blue sky to the alternative, blackness followed by heat.

On the other hand if we prefer a funeral be unclaustrophobic, why not prefer our ashes be spread to the wind in a scenic spot?

One cannot throw a corpse to the wind. So do you contemplate achieving a sense of lightness to your corpse without opting for its destruction?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
He he he... I want to throw a corpse into the wind...

Honestly I don't care what happens to my corpse when I die. I'll be dead, so it doesn't matter to me... However, I don't want anyone to take my organs... I am not an organ doner... If you are an organ doner, they will kill you so that someone they like more can steal your organs... those jerks...

Popeyesays

Well, according to H. P. Lovecraft the pulp writer of the twenties aqnd thirties, burying a corpse face-down was an indication that the corpse was the worst kind of witch, and woe befell those who turned them the "right" way and unstaked them from the casket.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

If you think there is a difference, what is the significance?

Personally I feel a face up burial is better, because I prefer the stillness of a permanent blue sky to the alternative, blackness followed by heat.

On the other hand if we prefer a funeral be unclaustrophobic, why not prefer our ashes be spread to the wind in a scenic spot?

One cannot throw a corpse to the wind. So do you contemplate achieving a sense of lightness to your corpse without opting for its destruction?

Throwing a corpse to the winds was the most common plains-Indian custom. The body would be exposed on a temporary bier to the winds and the savangers.

Regards,

Scott

Booko

Deviled Hen
I figure I'll be dead so it shouldn't make much difference.

A Klingon funeral would be nice. :D

misanthropic_clown

Very interesting stuff.

Personally, I don't give a hoot what happens to my body when I die. I'm an organ donor, and whatever's left can go to medical science for all I care. Why bury/cremate something that can be put to such good use if you don't particularly believe in the sacredness of your corpse?

Mind you, it means my family will be without something to bury.

kadzbiz

I don't think so. Aren't there places now that bury people standing up because there is not enough spare land? So I've heard anyway.

...Honestly I don't care what happens to my corpse when I die. I'll be dead, so it doesn't matter to me... However, I don't want anyone to take my organs... I am not an organ doner... If you are an organ doner, they will kill you so that someone they like more can steal your organs... those jerks...

That is a pretty negative view of life W. Everyone is liked more by someone else in this world. Why would being a donor make any difference with regards to killing you? How would anyone else know how good your organs are anyway? Who is the "THEY" you talk about? Don't you like ANYONE in this world? If there was one person who you liked or loved and could go on living a better life because of your no-longer-needed organ, don't you think that would be worthwhile?