• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling all DICTIONARY owners!!!!!!

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Please, please, please! Get your dictionary, don't use an online one! (humor me PLEASE!!!!!)

I'd like to know the name, edition, publishing date, and brand of your dictionary. Then I want you to look up the word "trivalent". If it is in there, please send me the information above. If it is not, please let me know as I'll have a few more questions.

Thank you all who actually do this for me, I do have reason!

McBell

Admiral Obvious
trivalent, tervalent
ADJ
1. with valence of 3; having a chemical valence of three
2. with 3 valences; with three chemical valences
3. formed by 3 chromosomes; formed by three homologous chromosomes that lie close together or appear to join during the first division of meiosis

"Trivalent." Encarta World English Dictionary. New York: Bloomsbury Plc, 1999.

BillBo

The Concise Oxford Dictionary, eigth edition, printed 1993, OUP.

Yes it is listed.

adj. Chem. having a valency of three.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Please, please, please! Get your dictionary, don't use an online one! (humor me PLEASE!!!!!)

I'd like to know the name, edition, publishing date, and brand of your dictionary. Then I want you to look up the word "trivalent". If it is in there, please send me the information above. If it is not, please let me know as I'll have a few more questions.

Thank you all who actually do this for me, I do have reason!

Uh, should I just look that up in my Chemistry text? :D

Just a tic I'll go get some of my dictionaries.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Oddly, it's in my Cassell's French Dictionary, though I presume that won't suit your purpose?

-------------------------------------

Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary, 1983 -- YES

1. Having a valence of three
2. a group of three synapsed homologous chromosomes in meiosis

----------------------------------------

Oxford English Dictionary, 1971 -- YES

Chem
. Having the combining power of three atoms of hydrogen or other univalent element; combining with three atoms of a univalent element or radical.

(First known occurence was in 1868 in Fowne's Elementary Chemistry, but I presume you didn't really want the notes and queries, yes?)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Funky Wagnall's Standard College Dictionary; Canadian Edition 1973 :)

P. 1433
trivalent - adj. Chemistry. - Having a valence or combing value of three: also tervalent

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Oxford American Desk Dictionary, 1998

tri*va*lent, adj., Chem. having a valence of three. -- trivalence, n.; trivalency; n.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Thank you all! This just gives me even more backing for my complaint to Random House Publishing!!!!!!!!

I had asked this question due to the dictionary I own, the last one I bought. It was published in 2001. It defines the word "lutetium" with the word "trivalent". Trivalent is not defined in the same dictionary. Granted, I knew what it meant but I looked anyway. The same dictionary doesn't even list "valent" under valence as a valid form of the word!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you see my problem there? How cana dictionary use a term it does not define to define another word?!?!?!?!?????????

With the people I've asked, your responses, and other dictionaries owned by my job and friends that I've looked at; I can deduce that OTHER companies have defined a term they used and did not define for at least 20 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I so wrong in my problem with this? I am so wrong to complain to Random House? I am wrong to ask for my $5.99 + 8.46% sales tax back from them?

Seriously!?!?!? What is the point of buying a dictionary that uses terms it does not define!?!?!?! Ironic or wrong?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Thank you all! This just gives me even more backing for my complaint to Random House Publishing!!!!!!!!
What do you expect from a publisher called "Random House." They probably just pull the definitions out of a hat.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Yes it is defined.

Webster's New World Dictionary; Pocket Books; Wiley Publishing; 2003