• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling all RF "Queers"

Queers: Have you experienced any sort of the severe intimidation (gay-bash) as described in the OP?

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Rainbows are fabulous.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I'm of a different sort of sexual minority, I'm asexual/non-sexual. Fortunately for me, the only ones in direct conflict with this are myself and Guitar's Cry, it's challenging at times but he's always been patient with me. I don't talk about sexual things with anyone else, especially my own sex life (or lack thereof ;)) I make it a non-issue with people who's business it isn't.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think for me, growing up I had an idea of my bisexuality. The problem was that the notion was that you were at one end of the polarity or the other. I wasn't exactly sure of whether or not I was gay or straight at times.........eventually I became more clear about where I am on the spectrum, but it didn't come without some hardships.

Other kids had guessed correctly of my lesbian leanings, and I was teased mercilessly for it at school. The other girls in class not only had some (in their minds) weapons to use because I was extremely underconfident and nervous, but that I was little, that I sat in the front of class all the time, and because those girls had caught me "staring." It's one thing to go though the classic heterosexual crush with all it's drama, but it's entirely another where a homosexual crush leads to - I don't know how else to call it - but sheer hatred from an entire group of kids.

Nothing was ever out in the open. But there was a very subliminal disgust directed toward me, and no one could ever exactly put their finger on it. I was, in many cases, "straight." But some couldn't figure out why I "acted like a dyke."

That terrible confusion only became worse when I somehow became an object of desire for either bi-curious girls or for boys who had wild and crazy fantasies. In college, I was the lay of the decade at the university. And sure, I slept around quite a bit with both genders, but things nearly always became complicated when I fell in love with a woman. It seemed that my only purpose was to be that object without any capacity for a deep commitment. I was the "fantasy." I wasn't a real flesh-and-blood woman, apparently.

I can't say that I've ever been physically threatened or harmed, but the ostracization and/or denial of my love interests have been at such a forefront. So much of my actions in dating had been me using the part of the "fantasy" as a weapon or as an armor protecting who I was inside.

*shrug*

Hope this helps. :)

Peace,
Mystic

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
That's like saying an atheist is a religious minority. In both cases, the labels don't have any application at all.

I only say that because to most people 'asexual' doesn't even show up on the radar, or on the spectrum of sexualities.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
That's like saying an atheist is a religious minority. In both cases, the labels don't have any application at all.
I would disagree with you. You are comparing apples and oranges. In one instance there is a choice (belief or non-belief). However, a person does not choose their sexuality or asexuality. Therefore the label does matter as fact of designation.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Not long ago a guy in my town got beat near to death outside a pub because he was gay. A friend of mine, his uncle's face got permantently disfigured after a gay-bashing. As far as I know, it's more people who are insecure about their own sexuality that make a huge deal out of others being gay than straight people. Well, that's my experience anyway...