• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Atheists/Non-religious Lead Completely Moral Lives?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Perhaps just being human leads to immoral behavior.

So then, can the non-religious become moral agents?
Moral: conforming to a standard of right behavior.
Well let's first discuss what "moral behavior means."

Rabbi Hillel once told a convert, "What is hateful to you, don't do to others. That is the whole Torah, all the rest is commentary."
Jesus said, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
Paul said, "For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
Confucius said, "Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself."
Buddha said, "Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."
Muhammad said, "None of you truly believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself."
Zoroaster said, "That nature only is good when it shall not do unto another whatever is not good for itself."

Seeing a pattern?

If that's the basis of morality, then atheists are just as moral as any other group.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
This means then your opinions here are also subjective? And because they are not objective, they are not facts? And if they are not facts, they are not very meaningful?
Opinions are subjective by definition. :shrug:
Facts are objective by definition. :shrug:

And when opinions / beliefs don't agree with facts, it's the opinions / beliefs that are incorrect.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The judge is morality. Though if you need to cheat by adding a biased judge that's say a lot about your morality.
I believe when you say morality is the judge you mean your own which is certainly a biased view. God as judge is a universal view.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I believe when you say morality is the judge you mean your own which is certainly a biased view. God as judge is a universal view.

You version of God is biased, mine is the correct one. See how easy it is to use God. I can do that, but you can't because you are biased and use the wrong God. ;)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I believe that is like a thief thinking he has a right to steal. Your own opinion of yourself is not moral;, only God's judgment is moral.
You version of God is biased, mine is the correct one. See how easy it is to use God. I can do that, but you can't because you are biased and use the wrong God. ;)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I believe I do not have a version of God. I have God.

You version of God is biased, mine is the correct one. See how easy it is to use God. I can do that, but you can't because you are biased and use the wrong God. ;) You don't have God, you have a biased understanding of that and you are in effect mistaken. ;) My god is the correct one. ;)

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I believe that is like a thief thinking he has a right to steal. Your own opinion of yourself is not moral;, only God's judgment is moral.

You literally stated that god doesn't care how you behave in case you honestly disbelieve in gods, and thus are an atheist.
You can lead the most moral life imaginable, but if you are an atheist - it's to hell with you.

I don't know what else to day. That's immoral. It's punishing someone for no good reason.
When punishment isn't based on what a person did or how a person behaved or how a person treated his fellow man....
That's not justice. That's not moral. That's not reasonable.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Can Atheists/Non-religious Lead Completely Moral Lives?

Why not? Who put restrictions on them as to not to be moral, please, right?

And they will be rewarded for their moral endeavours by One G-d, please, right?

Regards
Moral behavior is following the rules. Ethical behavior is doing what is right sometimes in defiance of the rules.

Last edited: