• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Science Prove...

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
No. Concepts of "real" are so vague as to be meaningless, anyway. In my opinion, whatever you perceive is "real". So dreams are just as "real" as waking life. I see no reason to create some unnecessary dichotomy.

Alceste

Vagabond
No! Science makes the assumption that reality exists.

To be more specific, science draws the logical conclusion, given the available empirical evidence, that what we universally perceive with our senses is likely to be objectively true beyond any reasonable doubt.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
You actually can prove a negative by proving a positive substitute that would contradict it.

That's not the reason why science can't prove that reality is not reality, but because science is inbounds of the nature of this reality

Thief

Rogue Theologian
...that reality is real?

Someone pointed out to me when I asked the science otakus whether science could be used to prove once and for all that we are not living in simulation that I did not ask a fair question because science cannot prove a negative.

So I now present to you a different question: Can science prove that reality is real?

It is a pressing question.

I've seen lengthy discussion how all of this is electrical input and that input can be faulty.
Your immediate sense of reality is then faulted......by default.

But that each one of us has a different perspective doesn't mean reality has failed.

After all science would have you believe the universe has been around a looooooong time.

We weren't here to say nay when it started.
Not likely to be here to say oh no!....when it passes away.

I think (heheheheh) reality is separate.....and very real.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Then that would mean reality is subjective now wouldn't it?

Our view and understanding of the world and reality is always subjective. Can't break out of our own shells and become objective observers of reality. We can only infer its existence and properties. In essence, even if the reality is real, we still experience it as a simulation. Our brain copies the world into an inner image of it. Our image is what we think is real, but it's only a copy of our experience through the senses.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Then that would mean reality is subjective now wouldn't it?

I'm not sure how you got to that from what I said. What I established was the objective fact that reality is real. You know... because that was the question. Whether or not its subjective is an entirely different topic. Naturally, objective or subjective, reality is still real.

Michaelpriv

Reality is created constantly and on many levels. You have a pothole, that's reality. It got fixed, that's the new reality of no pothole. For example, you look around and you see a cold and menacing world where dog eats dog and cynicism rules. That is the reality. For you. You created it and so it is. You will get plenty of proof that you are right, your reality is indeed real. If you mellow out a bit, start liking people more, talking to people, recognizing yourself in others more, etc., your perception of the world changes most remarkably. The reality changed. So what does science have to do with it? Nothing.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Reality is created constantly and on many levels. You have a pothole, that's reality. It got fixed, that's the new reality of no pothole. For example, you look around and you see a cold and menacing world where dog eats dog and cynicism rules. That is the reality. For you. You created it and so it is. You will get plenty of proof that you are right, your reality is indeed real. If you mellow out a bit, start liking people more, talking to people, recognizing yourself in others more, etc., your perception of the world changes most remarkably. The reality changed. So what does science have to do with it? Nothing.

Not buying that.
Condition of a thing is not the same as the nature of it.

Now if you were to awake up and the gravity that holds you down should fail...
If the sun were blue.....
If the water you drink were pink....

Chemistry and the laws of nature must remain firm.
Whatever we think they may be might vary.

So picture yourself standing on the edge of a high place and someone says ...'jump'....

Will the angels spare you the fall?

Call_of_the_Wild

...that reality is real?

Someone pointed out to me when I asked the science otakus whether science could be used to prove once and for all that we are not living in simulation that I did not ask a fair question because science cannot prove a negative.

So I now present to you a different question: Can science prove that reality is real?

It is a pressing question.

Science doesn't need to prove reality. If you are asking the question "can science prove that reality is real?", who is asking the question? You are; in order to ask a question you must exist..and if you exist, you exist in reality...therefore reality is "real".

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

So what happens when you become the King of France?