• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can You Hear the Silence

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I came across this debate, and I suppose it is more opinion than fact, however, can you hear silence?

PureX

Veteran Member
Barring any external noise, my own body seems to make quite a racket. So I don't believe I've ever actually heard the sound of silence, except metaphorically.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I came across this debate, and I suppose it is more opinion than fact, however, can you hear silence?

I suppose it depends what you mean by "hear". One can certainly perceive silence. But only very rarely in the modern world. When I lived in Dubai, many years ago, I used sometimes to go out into the desert, stop the jeep and just walk. No sound of vehicles. No wind. No birdsong. Nothing.

Sifr.

I found it so peaceful and special. I have never found that silence anywhere else.

Maybe I'm being romantic but I fancied at the time this feeling is something present in the Koran.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sometimes when you sit down and shut up.

You start noticing things you've never been aware of, even though it's been going on around you all the while.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
... One of my favorite YouTube videos, ever ...

Not seen the Disturbed version before (which I then watched), and although I love the S & G version, that has to be one of the best interpretations of a song ever, and much needed. Loved her reaction, even though the less spiritual amongst us (me, of course) react possibly just the same - to such passion and rage.

PureX

Veteran Member
Not seen the Disturbed version before (which I then watched), and although I love the S & G version, that has to be one of the best interpretations of a song ever, and much needed. Loved her reaction, even though the less spiritual amongst us (me, of course) react possibly just the same - to such passion and rage.
It is an amazing cover of an already amazing song. I thought the same thing.