• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you prove ANYTHING about reality, without making any assumptions?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But anyways getting back to the OT, do you think it is possible to proove things about reality without making any assumptions then? Since your original post in my thread didn't address the question.. jw what you think.
Let me put it this way: if you don't start with an assumption, you have nothing to prove.

You've no reason to be doing "proving" unless there is some inherent doubt to begin with.

Last edited:

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Let me put it this way: if you don't start with an assumption, you have nothing to prove.

You've no reason to be doing "proving" unless there is some inherent doubt to begin with.

Hmm, makes sense to me. Like I said, Im just now taking a math proofs/logic course so Im kind of new to the formality of the subject, so sometimes I miss the obvious things..

So in other words your saying the question of "can you prove things without making assumptions?" literally makes no logical sense at all?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Hmm, makes sense to me. Like I said, Im just now taking a math proofs/logic course so Im kind of new to the formality of the subject, so sometimes I miss the obvious things..

So in other words your saying the question of "can you prove things without making assumptions?" literally makes no logical sense at all?
icon14.gif
:D

An assumption is what you're trying to prove.

mrdaniel777

Well, one thing that is absolutely true is: "I Exist". We cannot deny our own existence becouse by doing it so it would show our existence.
I am not my arms, neither my legs, since I can continue existing without them. So, I'm not exactly my "body", I am what/who is aware of it. (not sure if it's absolutely right as the above, but I think it is)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, one thing that is absolutely true is: "I Exist". We cannot deny our own existence becouse by doing it so it would show our existence.
I am not my arms, neither my legs, since I can continue existing without them. So, I'm not exactly my "body", I am what/who is aware of it. (not sure if it's absolutely right as the above, but I think it is)

What about the philosophies that teach that self is an illusion? There is no "I" there is a whole of which the "I" is a part of? :D