• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you really fight who you are?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
No, you can't fight AGAINST it. But you CAN work WITH it and shape it gently. And it's often very worth it to do so.

What would make 'you' 'improved'?

Self realization is a fascinating journey.
Isn't the observer changed by observing?

The term self improvement, however, carries with it the implication that you your-self are not okay as you are. You're not 'being You' the 'right way'.
So you wind up working against your self, to be something else-- some 'improved', 'Better' version of your self.. which often winds up having nothing at all to do with you at all.
And when does 'self improvement' end? When is it okay to just be You? (being yourself) :)
Sure, it's OK to just be you. Self-examination/self realization still has a transformative effect. Has that been a waste of effort?

atanu

Premium Member
Can you really fight who you are... and win?

... and is it even worth trying to do?

The ego 'i', being a chimera, cannot even try. But the real "I" has the freedom or choice to discard the chimera and embrace its true nature, which is not the body-mind complex.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I have a lot of layers. The top layer is fairly changeable and consists mainly of various learned behavior for different situations. That's the person most people "know". I can adapt reasonably well to most situations by changing that layer. Underneath that there's an observer, or a self, continually processing data. I have made a few very significant changes to that layer, but not very many. Two big ones were to stop making decisions based on fear, and to stop imagining I can read minds or guess people's motives. Both of those changes enormously enhanced my sense of wellbeing and improved my relationships. Then there's a core, which basically doesn't change, ever. That's my nature, and I try to be mindful of it and make choices that are in harmony with it.

Well said.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As people age they become more them selves.
Age emphasises characteristics.

We are in effect two people... the person we try to be, and the person we are.
Age tends to eliminate pretence.
showing our true self.
I am old enough to know.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

You can fight who you are, and you can "win" (however that's defined).

The cost of suppressing who you are depends on what you were fighting in the first place.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Firstly, I don't view it as a fight. It's a reprogramming of the subconscious mind, a remolding of personality, habit patterns, by using the will to have a series of experiences that counter previous ones. For example, I switched to vegetarianism 40 years back. It's been successful. I am no longer a meat-eater. The key is to understand its a process of reshaping.

WyattDerp

A seed change, must wither or grow into a plant, but it doesn't have to fight what it is.

Only people who (ab)use people have to fight what people are. Often enough those "enemies" are ourselves, but at any rate we're embedded into a society of them, too.

Being dissatisfied with oneself can be a healthy reaction to being on a bad personal path, but it can also be a reaction to the expectations of, uhm, random people... some don't even know why they expect some things of others, they just know it's expected of them to expect those things, and because we're social animals, we sometimes pick that stuff up, especially in our youth. So IF you want to change yourself, ever, first make super sure that's actually you speaking, not something or someone else.

[youtube]Xj3QrO3Q1eg[/youtube]
Check Ya Self 2010 - Ice Cube - YouTube

:facepalm: :D

atanu

Premium Member

The ego 'i', being a chimera, cannot even try. But the real "I" has the freedom or choice to discard the chimera and embrace its true nature, which is not the body-mind complex.

Those who know the nature of self tell us that it is the concept of self that we take as the self. This mistake generates a lot of drama but it generates more of painful drama at the end.

It is not in the capacity of the image/shadow self to get rid of the ignorance. Eventually, it is the real self that shakes off the ignorance when the show finishes. So really there is no struggle.

But to the shadow self, it seems that a bloody struggle is going on.

So, I agree to your post.:D

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
You mean to enact a drama of the drama?

Not only is that amusing, it is a good point.:)

The drama is still an expression of you.
It is you trying to battle you, or you trying to re'form you, or you trying to save you, or you trying to find someone else to save you. We are our own jailors, persecutors, defendants, judges, doctors, mothers, heroes, villians and gods.

No matter what you do, you will always BE you. Deep down inside. No matter what roles you play on the outside. It's all still you. You can't get away from you.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

The person I was two to six years ago was obsessed with a woman who turned out to not be worth my attention at all.

The person I was twenty years ago was hopelessly enthralled with a conception of the world that could not stand on its own.

Both times I fought who I was and arguably won.

Not that I had a choice, or that the price wasn't hefty, mind you.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
The person I was two to six years ago was obsessed with a woman who turned out to not be worth my attention at all.

The person I was twenty years ago was hopelessly enthralled with a conception of the world that could not stand on its own.

Both times I fought who I was and arguably won.

Not that I had a choice, or that the price wasn't hefty, mind you.

I think obsessions are just distractions from who we always are deep down at our core. (as Alceste put it)