• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you still be a Christian and a Gravitationist?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
However, I don't thing the church liked Newton's theory when he first put it out, as he was one of those "the earth is not the centre of the universe" people, and he didn't leave room for god. But religions evolve.
AHA! But you're wrong! Newton was a Christian - I guess that disproves this whole "gravity" thing right there.

Seriously, though, Newton may have held some views that would have been considered heretical at the time, but he was a devout theist. He considered much of his scientific work to be an exposition of his believe that God wasn't an inconstant god that ruled the universe with miracles and according to changing whims, but a perfect (and therefore unchanging) God who set in place a fair and ordered way for the universe to operate.

chaffdog

I didn't state his religion, but was I right in saying the church (or at lest the fundamentalists) didn't like it much?

Dezzie

I agree that you should be able to be Christian and still believe in the theory or gravity... just because you are Christian, it doesn't mean you are just limited to few ideas and thoughts. I don't see the big problem with believing in both. I guess it is just all up to the person really.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's satire, kids. I was poking fun at the absurdity of how creationists view, approach and misrepresent the theory of evolution.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
It's satire, kids. I was poking fun at the absurdity of how creationists view, approach and misrepresent the theory of evolution.

Or how they pick out and pay other scientists to pick out little discrepincies and then claim the whole theory doesn't make sense? Or just because they cannot comprehend something its either wrong or God did it???

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
It's also funny because physicist are quite open about the fact that they don't fully understand gravity. That's why they spend so much time studying it.

But you don't hear the rallying cry "it's just a theory" used against physics.

wa:do

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's also funny because physicist are quite open about the fact that they don't fully understand gravity. That's why they spend so much time studying it.

But you don't hear the rallying cry "it's just a theory" used against physics.

wa:do
You know, if gravity were true, you'd think they'd have found the Higgs boson by now. They've been looking for it long enough. ;)