• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you suggest any of your action that is NOT driven by your own thought ?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
can you suggest any of your action that is NOT driven by your own thought (other than involuntary actions) ?
No, but voluntary action and involuntary action form a MECE set (mutually exclusive, collectively exhaustive). Every action is one or the other, and none both or neither, so it's necessarily true that when you exclude one, what remains is only the other.
"There's always a theist hiding inside"Atheist"
There's always an atheist hiding inside a theist, often trapped with no means to escape.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If you stop thinking, then how do you start up again?
I don't think we can stop thinking altogether. We are always thinking about something in our waking hours, but I think :D we can stop thinking :Dabout what we don't want to think :D about if we practice thought stopping. Whenever a thought we don't want comes into our head we tell it to take a hike, and replace it with another thought.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think we can stop thinking altogether. We are always thinking about something in our waking hours, but I think :D we can stop thinking :Dabout what we don't want to think :D about if we practice thought stopping. Whenever a thought we don't want comes into our head we tell it to take a hike, and replace it with another thought.

I've heard of "stinking thinking," such as allowing negative thoughts to pervade one's thought processes. So, I guess that would be what to look out for.

We don't need no stinkin' thinkin'.

Whateverist

Can you explain what you mean by 'needless self narration of our doings' and 'words don't help'?

Pretty simple. It is perfectly possible to do things without thinking about the steps. Athletes with high skill levels have to cut out the chatter in order to be competitive. But thinking or sub audibly enunciating the steps you intend to follow are not a prerequisite. Some, like downhill skiers will visualize what they intend to do ahead of going; but there is no point focusing on particular turns as if checking off a list. It simply doesn't help and could get you killed. It can become such a habit that it is hard to imagine being able to function at all without narration but it isn't so. Maybe the religious have an advantage in being able to imagine putting it in 'God's hands'. But I don't believe in gods and I still find it easy enough though that is from long custom. If I find the same concerns surfacing while I wish to attend to something else, I find making a list and putting the most worrisome items on a calendar can be helpful.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I've heard of "stinking thinking," such as allowing negative thoughts to pervade one's thought processes. So, I guess that would be what to look out for.

We don't need no stinkin' thinkin'.
That's true, but I was thinking about thoughts of the past that can cause grief or thoughts of the future that can cause depression and anxiety.
I try to stay in the present in order to avoid those thoughts but it takes a lot of practice.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Some, like downhill skiers will visualize what they intend to do ahead of going; but there is no point focusing on particular turns as if checking off a list. It simply doesn't help and could get you killed. It can become such a habit that it is hard to imagine being able to function at all without narration but it isn't so.
I guess you could call that being spontaneous, and that is how I function. I have no lists of any kind and I never make any plans. If I have an appointment or something important I have to do I put it on a wall calendar, but that is all.

Some people think I'm weird, but I have always lived this way and it has served me well for the most part. I know what I have to do and I just put one foot in front of the other until I am done. I do feel I am guided by God but that is a separate matter.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If the question is -- How did we get here and where are we going .
Then the answer is -- Our thoughts brought us here, and we are driven by your own thoughts all the time. Even one of my thought compelled me to post this here on RF.

I don't know whether this realisation of mine is true or not, but, when I realised this I started crying helplessly becuase I failed to come across any of my action that was NOT driven by my thought/s.

I don't feel shy/shame crying-helplessly, do you ?

I don't feel shy/shame crying-helplessly becuase I think this helplessly-crying is only true devotion/prayer towards God to overcome my thoughts.

OR, can you suggest any of your action that is NOT driven by your own thought (other than involuntary actions) ?
When I am in a deep meditative state there are no thoughts and I am action alone, unharnessed. I am experiencing self without the filter of thought and the view is well beyond anything words could impart. You might see things differently, from this point of inner calm. If so, do tell. I'm just a fool with a sparkle in his eyes.

On to those tears. *moves box of tissues a bit closer*

One of my therapists told me the day I finally cried in his group. (It had taken awhile.)
As I sobbed uncontrollably, I kept saying, "I'm sorry." (For displaying (any) emotion.)

"Why are you apologising?" Dave asked. "Society tells us that a man crying is a sign of weakness, but that is not true. The truth is that being able to cry in a room full of men is a sign of great strength. Congratulations." @chinu I extend the same thought to you. It took great courage for you to write your wonderful words about this experience.

Thank you!

... and ...

Congratulations.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Weird. I just can't see things the way the OP does. Well, it's not my usual map of the territory. Way too inwardly-gazing, way too anthropocentric. Way too cogito, ergo sum. Not enough estis, ergo sum. @chinu, don't forget about the environment and the others when thinking about these questions.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Heartbeat, breathing is NOT an action.
Ah, you're confusing action with choices.

You'd be surprised that most of our choices, leading to actions, are inherently automatic and most are environmentally preprogrammed. We're all a bite away from being zombies.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Reflex, Muscle contractions, presperation, crying (get a bug in the eye or etc), Blinking, Yawning, to be fair you mind sets up certain tasks that don't require thought as short cuts and a lot of your general activities are done without thought. Its why you do certain things everyday or do certain things a certain way everyday. An example would be getting out of bed you put a certain foot down every time, you don't think about it.
Imagine if @chinu was accurate.

We would all be like this.....

chinu

chinu
Its not a thought process, its a routine. The mind creates routines for repeated tasks so that it can free itself up to be able to think for exceptions, predictions and Indepth processing. I wake up in the morning and my process is get out of bed, make coffee, get clothes, and take shower, etc. None of it is a thought its just a setup routine unless an exception arises then my thoughts will resolve the exception. I will start the coffee and have a problem in the shower, I may have to go back and physically check if the coffee is on because I won't be able to remember as there was no thought process for doing it. If there was an exception with the making of the coffee I can easily remember. An exception could be I spilled coffee beans or banged the pot while filling it. Consider the routines basically the reflex's of the mind. Bang a Knee and the leg will move, your eye will blink, and your heart will beat, these things will happen even if your mind is out of function.
In the first place there was a thought, and that thought suggested the routine.

chinu

chinu
I would say it's adequate proof we are not in charge.

That community of living organisms called 'you' actually is.

This thing commomly referred to as 'you' can only drive this organic mech called the body.
Now go some back and try to find that -- from where we came ?
If we are driven by thought/s, then definitely thought/s are responsible to bring us into this world.

chinu

chinu
Conscious or unconscious thought?

IMO, sure we are driven mostly by unconscious thought. Whatever is going on behind the scene at a level we are not consciously aware of.

Conscious thought rarely drives us forward. Usually we are reacting to whatever our unconscious mind thinks we should be doing at the time.
YES.
By default we are driven by unconscious-thoughts, conscious-thoughts holds the steering as soon as we are conscious :)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
In the first place there was a thought, and that thought suggested the routine.
In the first place there was light and now everything happens because of light. Yes thought created the routine but the routine creates the action. The thought that created the routine is not the same as the action or even in the same time period at the action. More importantly If we only evaluate by your opinion what is the point of this discussion. Are you truly seeking open discussion or just trying to convert to your views?