• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you support our troop but not support the war?

Can you support our troops and not support the war in Iraq?

• Yes, the two are seperate issues.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • No, both issues are linked together.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Don't know, don't care, don't support either.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Lumping togeather Police Officers and soldiers just because they put there lives at risk is a distortion of the truth. You might as well throw in coal miners and high-voltage linesmen. A Police Officer would never be subject to non-judical punishment on the charges of destruction of government property for falling asleep at the beach and getting a really bad sunburn. That happened to a young lady in my squadron because the burn was so bad she had to go on limited duty for 2 weeks. Police officers are not asked to drop bombs on cities or invade foriegn contries.

Ardent Listener

spacemonkey said:
Lumping togeather Police Officers and soldiers just because they put there lives at risk is a distortion of the truth. You might as well throw in coal miners and high-voltage linesmen. A Police Officer would never be subject to non-judical punishment on the charges of destruction of government property for falling asleep at the beach and getting a really bad sunburn. That happened to a young lady in my squadron because the burn was so bad she had to go on limited duty for 2 weeks. Police officers are not asked to drop bombs on cities or invade foriegn contries.
True, but both are needed to protect us for those who wish to harm us. So I do not see it as a distortion of the truth. The distortion of the truth here is to label all soldiers as either idiots or indecent. By the way, which were you when you served?

Pah

Uber all member
Seyorni said:

If you are decent and a soldier, then you are not intelligent. If you are intelligent and a soldier, you are not decent, and if you are intelligent and decent you are not a soldier.
You could be a coward while being decent and intelligent.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
NetDoc said:
I guess this means you have NOTHING to back up your claim but your feelings. Sorta what Shrub used to invade Iraq with. Well excuse me if I find your "feelings" a bit lacking on the "fact" scale.
So, I have to show you my resume in order to give my opinion, or you simply just don't believe that I know what I am talking about? I am thinking it is the latter. NetDoc, I have a feeling that even if I were to list every single military involved action that I have taken, so that you and everyone else here can analyze it, it would not convince you of anything. So instead of listing my military record, that I am very proud of, here on this post, I can send it to you if you like. Just request it. But know this, I have held men and women in my arms as they lay dying. I have seen the faces of children after some bad guys had killed their parents for telling Americans what they have been up to, and I have consoled men and women who are so filled with depression over what is being said about them at home that they are in tears, and given all of that, I don't feel in the slightest that I have to prove myself to you or anyone else. I've proven myself to those brave young men and women, and brother, that's all I will ever need.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
True, but both are needed to protect us for those who wish to harm us. So I do not see it as a distortion of the truth
A soldier, by deffinition is a skilled WARRIOR.
A police officer, by deffinition is a keeper of the PEACE.
Saying that there job is the same IS a distortion of the truth.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
EEWRED said:
So, I have to show you my resume in order to give my opinion, or you simply just don't believe that I know what I am talking about? I am thinking it is the latter. NetDoc, I have a feeling that even if I were to list every single military involved action that I have taken, so that you and everyone else here can analyze it, it would not convince you of anything. So instead of listing my military record, that I am very proud of, here on this post, I can send it to you if you like. Just request it. But know this, I have held men and women in my arms as they lay dying. I have seen the faces of children after some bad guys had killed their parents for telling Americans what they have been up to, and I have consoled men and women who are so filled with depression over what is being said about them at home that they are in tears, and given all of that, I don't feel in the slightest that I have to prove myself to you or anyone else. I've proven myself to those brave young men and women, and brother, that's all I will ever need.
All that to say you still have nothing in the way of real data... just some crap about people that can't be questioned. Any published data??? Any clinical studies? Any case studies that are MORE than you twisting someone else's words just to win an argument? It is my humble opinion that you are biased in your blind support of the president and will say ANYTHING to prove his flawed logic. How about some independant research? I doubt that you can find any homie! Go peddle your anti-patriot crap to someone who believes that Mussolini was on the right track. Go take a seat with Stalin and Himmler who spoke much of what you are saying. We have freedom of speech here in America and REAL soldiers fought to protect that right and did not try and squelch it from those who disagree with them.

The Black Whirlwind

yes doc, we do have freedom of speech... which you seem trying to crush, because someone doesn't agree with your conspiracy theories.... *cough kraut cough*... because you think anyone who supports the war is an anti-american commie. EEWRED served in Iraq, protecting the citizens and the nation, and helped to rid the world of a tyrant. Do not belittle his sacrifice for this nation.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Fat Kat Matt said:
but a tyrant, and a murderer, nonetheless.
Since when do we decide what rulers should be removed? If the people of Iraq wanted Saddam gone so bad they would have done it themselves. History is full of people rising up against the government. What if China decides one day that OUR President needs to be removed from office and we should all adopt Communism. That is what we did in Iraq (substitute Democracy for Communism) I belive many nations of the world think that Bush is a tyrant, and while I might agree I would still fight against any nation that invaded and displaced him.

Scuba Pete

Fat Kat Matt said:
yes doc, we do have freedom of speech... which you seem trying to crush, because someone doesn't agree with your conspiracy theories.... *cough kraut cough*... because you think anyone who supports the war is an anti-american commie. EEWRED served in Iraq, protecting the citizens and the nation, and helped to rid the world of a tyrant. Do not belittle his sacrifice for this nation.
Fine, You don't have any studies to support the contention either. We get that. Just don't trot out your "you're scaring our troops" argument out and expect us to swallow it. If it's a "fact" then there should be some substantial evidence. To this end, y'all have given us nada, squat, zilch.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Fat Kat Matt said:
because we're America. We're the biggest, toughest, nastiest bully in the world. And thats what we do.
The same went for the Roman Empire, and we see how well that worked out for them.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
NetDoc said:
Fine, You don't have any studies to support the contention either. We get that. Just don't trot out your "you're scaring our troops" argument out and expect us to swallow it. If it's a "fact" then there should be some substantial evidence. To this end, y'all have given us nada, squat, zilch.
Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment nothing can fail. Without it nothing can succeed. He who molds opinion is greater than he who enacts laws.

President Abraham Lincoln

NetDoc, I don't need a public opinion survey or years of psychological research to tell me something that is common sense. Do you think that strong public support for our mission and those who are trying to accomplish it helps troop morale? If your answer is yes, and common sense and history says that it is so, then the opposite must certainly be true as well. If you can't figure that out then what's the point of pointing to articles about this subject as it pertains to Vietnam and World War II?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hey, all! Just a general reminder- I know that this is a very heated topic, and I admire most people's restraint thus far, but please let's make sure that we continue to be civil. Thanks!

Scuba Pete

EEWRED said:
I don't need
OK, OK, you still can't find it, we understand your double speak. You just keep spinning it to try and make everyone else look bad when you have nothing to stand on. Remember, you called it a "fact" and here we see it as merely a weak ploy to support a failed presidency in their war of aggression. Keep grasping at those straws homie! Unfortunately, we went to war on far less!

Pah

Uber all member
FeathersinHair said:
Hey, all! Just a general reminder- I know that this is a very heated topic, and I admire most people's restraint thus far, but please let's make sure that we continue to be civil. Thanks!
Just another reminder

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
spacemonkey said:
Since when do we decide what rulers should be removed? If the people of Iraq wanted Saddam gone so bad they would have done it themselves. History is full of people rising up against the government. What if China decides one day that OUR President needs to be removed from office and we should all adopt Communism. That is what we did in Iraq (substitute Democracy for Communism) I belive many nations of the world think that Bush is a tyrant, and while I might agree I would still fight against any nation that invaded and displaced him.
Since when do we decide what rulers should be removed?
That's an excellent point. I Think most South American dictators, most African leaders, and a whole host of leaders could be regarded as being bad for the contitution of their people; my, but we would be busy.............fruballs my friend.:clap

Faminedynasty

Of course you can support the troops without supporting the war. The belief to the contrary is based on severely faulty logic based on the presumption that the only way to support troops is to send them to die in war, or that soldiers are only happy in war. It seems a far more helpful form of support to do your part to prevent or end an unjustifyable war and save the lives of our troops than it is to blindly accept whatever lie is given to justify the death of thousands.