• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cane sugar vs refined

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Last January my taste buds changed significantly and one of the results was that refined sugar took on a very strange and unpleasant flavour, but cane sugar (from the cane) tastes as sugar should. The artificial sweetners I can't even talk about, they're so bad (I can smell them from 6 feet away), but anyway the question is ...have you tried unrefined cane sugar and did you find it better?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't understand the difference between cane sugar and refined sugar. Ordinary table sugar is refined (purified) cane sugar.

Its my undrestanding that raw sugar is not sold in the US, though one is free to buy the cane itself to press or simply chew.

All sugar here is refined. Sometimes a little of the molasses is returned to the product (turbinado sugar), sometimes a little more (brown sugar), but the basic product is always refined cane sugar, ie: pure sucrose.

What is this "cane sugar" you're talking about? How is it different from "refined" sugar?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Hmm. I didn't know unrefined cane sugar was moist and tasted different...I'll have to try it.

However, I doubt the claims in the link of "Our unrefined cane sugar promotes self-healing."

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
However, I doubt the claims in the link of "Our unrefined cane sugar promotes self-healing."
I take everything I read with a grain of ...sugar, but this one might actually be true. I do know that before it became popular as a food additive sugar was used to sterilize wounds, much the same way alcohol is used today. It promoted the sealing and healing of the skin.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I wish I had a better "memory" taste; in Africa, I used to eat cane sugar - cut from the actual canes that grew in our garden.

Because I needed to lose weight, I went onto artificial sweetners some years back. I am fast coming to the conclusion that anything "man made" (or "artificial") is well worth triyng to steer completely away from - anything with E numbers (and that means 75% of foodstuffs from Supermarkets I am begining to distrust.

Zephyr

Moved on
Since moving off to college, I've very rarely had sweets outside of my "weekend treat" of a stick of sugar cane. I used to get it every now and then when I was little, and I prefer it much more than any other candy out there, except maybe ginger (hey in my house, ginger root is candy!:shrug:)

I like sugar cane, it tastest like a weak artifical sugar, i knicked a couple of huge canes when i used to go to my lil village in india.

.lava

Veteran Member
Last January my taste buds changed significantly and one of the results was that refined sugar took on a very strange and unpleasant flavour, but cane sugar (from the cane) tastes as sugar should. The artificial sweetners I can't even talk about, they're so bad (I can smell them from 6 feet away), but anyway the question is ...have you tried unrefined cane sugar and did you find it better?

i use unrefined sugar. it is definetly more natural and therefor better. healthy! refined one tastes too sugary. it smells bad. but not everyone can smell it.

same goes with salt. i use sea salt. ever since i use sea salt, refined one tastes almost bitter.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
We are having a tough time with anything refined, processed, packaged, etc., the taste and effects are just too hard to take. Eating whole foods is much more expensive but we seem to eat a lot less because we're getting more nutrients. We get local honey sold down the road from our house, but when we go out sometimes I'll dump some artificial junk in my coffee - and regret it.

Inky

I use fructose, which is derived from fruit instead of sugar cane. It's naturally about twice as sweet as sucrose so you get about half the calories, it's processed more slowly which avoids the sugar rush, and it dissolves much more easily in cool liquids.

Bathsheba

**{{}}**
I use fructose, which is derived from fruit instead of sugar cane. It's naturally about twice as sweet as sucrose so you get about half the calories, it's processed more slowly which avoids the sugar rush, and it dissolves much more easily in cool liquids.

I heard an interesting thing about fructose just the other day. Apparently fructose has only on molecules difference between itself and glucose. .... OK, maybe I just outed myself as a geek, but hey, I'm fructose that way. :thud:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I heard an interesting thing about fructose just the other day. Apparently fructose has only on molecules difference between itself and glucose. .... OK, maybe I just outed myself as a geek, but hey, I'm fructose that way. :thud:
Haha :). Welcome to the forums.

Bathsheba

**{{}}**

Hi Willamena, thank you for the warm welcome.

Regarding your thread question, I haven't tried unrefined cane sugar so I can't say if it is preferable. My body and regular sugar do not get along but my taste buds haven't read the memo. :eek:

anders

i use unrefined sugar. it is definetly more natural and therefor better.
Tried purely natural hemlock yet?
same goes with salt. i use sea salt. ever since i use sea salt, refined one tastes almost bitter.
You're unique. Pure NaCl isn't bitter. Sea salt is to normal people, because of its magnesium content.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I know some of the Jones sodas are made with cane sugar, and they taste just as good as 'normal' sugar. I don't know of any benefits it has though.