• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cannabis Rescheduling

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

RestlessSoul

Less dangerous than what, is the question begging to be asked. Is cannabis less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco? Almost certainly. Is it less dangerous than previously thought? That would depend on who previously thought what.

With stronger and stronger strains being produced in hydroponic factories, there might be a case for arguing that skunk is more dangerous to mental health than the Moroccan hash we used to smoke in the U.K. back in the day.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Decided to make this a separate thread.

So it appears that cannabis is going to be rescheduled from it's.current classification, to a lesser one. While also acknowledging it's medicinal benefits.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Why?

I wouldn't say it's bad, but it would be better if there was complete legalization.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Less dangerous than what, is the question begging to be asked. Is cannabis less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco? Almost certainly. Is it less dangerous than previously thought? That would depend on who previously thought what.

With stronger and stronger strains being produced in hydroponic factories, there might be a case for arguing that skunk is more dangerous to mental health than the Moroccan hash we used to smoke in the U.K. back in the day.

Yeah the purity can cause problems. The underground market bred strong strains as a way to keep customers. And now with concentrates, you've really got to be careful. Although hash is way up there in strength too, being technically a concentrate as well.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

So it appears that cannabis is going to be rescheduled from it's.current classification, to a lesser one. While also acknowledging it's medicinal benefits.

In the UK it was a Class B substance but it was then downgraded to Class C and then upgraded again to a Class B

Which I think is more than a little silly

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
In the UK it was a Class B substance but it was then downgraded to Class C and then upgraded again to a Class B

Which I think is more than a little silly

What's class B? Here Schedule 1 puts cannabis currently on par with heroin, LSD, Peyote and and Ecstacy/MDMA.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What's class B? Here Schedule 1 puts cannabis currently on par with heroin, LSD, Peyote and and Ecstacy/MDMA.
Those things are Class A over here as is cocaine

Possession of Class B can get you up to 5 years in prison and an unlimited fine, more if it's possession with intent to supply

RestlessSoul

That’s just daft, and probably not helpful to anyone, classing cannabis with heroin. I’d argue LSD and peyote are also way less harmful than heroin.

The only recreational drugs as dangerous as heroin, are cocaine and alcohol imo, but that’s another story.

RestlessSoul

Those things are Class A over here as is cocaine

Possession of Class B can get you up to 5 years in prison and an unlimited fine, more if it's possession with intent to supply

So I did a quick Google to see how many people are imprisoned in the U.K. for cannabis offences, and apparently in 2019 (I couldn’t find more recent figures) it was 682.

I was shocked, didn’t think people got sent to prison for cannabis anymore. Seems a terrible waste of the justice system’s resources apart from anything else.

Cannabis prisoners England and Wales 2019 | Statista

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
So I did a quick Google to see how many people are imprisoned in the U.K. for cannabis offences, and apparently I’m 2019 (I couldn’t find more recent figures) it was 682. I was pretty shocked, didn’t think people got sent to prison for cannabis anymore. Seems a terrible waste of the justice system’s resources apart from anything else.

Cannabis prisoners England and Wales 2019 | Statista
I agree

And I think 682 sounds a lot but that if you consider how many people actually use it then it's not quite so much and I should imagine most of those would be dealers or growers

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think it's good. Especially since I heard of doctors recommendations on the use of medical cannabis. I softened my stance on the drug when used appropriately.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yes, and I should think a Google Image search for "meth mouth" would be enough to put anyone off....
Never liked appeals to emotion. I looked at a comparison of dopamine released in the brain by various drugs. Meth, cannabis, alcohol and cocaine I think.

"Researchers tried to quantify the amount of dopamine that gets released in pleasurable behaviors. So, if you enjoy eating chocolate, dopamine, on average, will rise about 50 percent above that baseline. Sex is likely to cause a 100 percent spike. Amphetamines, a class of drugs that includes meth, will trigger dopamine to surge above baseline at about 1,000 percent. "

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I don't see how not doing something because it ruins your teeth (amongst other reasons) counts as being emotional
.it's used as an "look how bad this is for you". It simultaneously makes the non-user cringe and go ew (emotional response), while the user is shamed into compliance (emotional response).

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
.it's used as an "look how bad this is for you". It simultaneously makes the non-user cringe and go ew (emotional response), while the user is shamed into compliance (emotional response).
I call that stating the facts

Although it may provoke emotions I think that the fact that Amphetamines destroy your mouth is a sensible and rational reason not to take that poison