• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Capitalism is EVIL.

cultsmasher

*banned*
There isn't a whole lot the religious and myself can agree upon. But when it comes to capitalism being evil, we are in total agreement. To that end, I have a clip from the documentary, "Capitalism: A love story" to show you. (The whole thing can be seen for free on youtube) It shows what some religious people have to say about capitalism. Heed what they say.

Capitalism, A love story, clip - 100FREE Best Video Sharing

cultsmasher

*banned*
Is The Material World subforum the best place for this?

Well there is no economics section. Besides, isn't gaining wealth through capitalism used to gain material things that most other people can't afford? So as far as I know, this is the best category for such a discussion.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
Capitalism is a product of the material mindset.

Regards Tony
The emergence of Capitalism was a result of the industrial revolution and the end of feudal forms of relations, not a change in worldview.
Philosophical materialism came to become associated with an opposition to capitalism a la Marx and Engels, rather than the reactionaries.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
My opinion is that capitalism is okay as long as it's practiced ethically. The problem is that it's often not.
I agree to a point. But it is an economic system and like any system, it can be used or abused. Political systems, how some people view rights, legal systems, trade unions, religions and the like can all be abused and operated unethically.

I don't see capitalism as evil in itself. But some of the people involved, well, they certainly can be evil.

Bthoth

There isn't a whole lot the religious and myself can agree upon. But when it comes to capitalism being evil, we are in total agreement. To that end, I have a clip from the documentary, "Capitalism: A love story" to show you. (The whole thing can be seen for free on youtube) It shows what some religious people have to say about capitalism. Heed what they say.

Capitalism, A love story, clip - 100FREE Best Video Sharing
he key to understand is the business 'has no use of virtue'.

It's the weird part of 'invisible hand'.

All of us comprehend 'income for work' it's about natural in the modern age.

But the legal aspects are about rude.

InChrist

Free4ever
My opinion is that capitalism is okay as long as it's practiced ethically. The problem is that it's often not.
I agree. Free market capitalism is fine when practiced ethically. It’s crony capitalism or the corporatist system that rewards those who manipulate the political process which is a big problem.

“Capitalism should not be condemned, since we haven’t had capitalism. A system of capitalism presumes sound money, not fiat money manipulated by a central bank. Capitalism cherishes voluntary contracts and interest rates that are determined by savings, not credit creation by a central bank. It’s not capitalism when the system is plagued with incomprehensible rules regarding mergers, acquisitions, and stock sales, along with wage controls, price controls, protectionism, corporate subsidies, international management of trade, complex and punishing corporate taxes, privileged government contracts to the military-industrial complex, and a foreign policy controlled by corporate interests and overseas investments. Add to this centralized federal mismanagement of farming, education, medicine, insurance, banking and welfare. This is not capitalism!”

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I agree. Free market capitalism is fine when practiced ethically. It’s crony capitalism or the corporatist system that rewards those who manipulate the political process which is a big problem.

“Capitalism should not be condemned, since we haven’t had capitalism. A system of capitalism presumes sound money, not fiat money manipulated by a central bank. Capitalism cherishes voluntary contracts and interest rates that are determined by savings, not credit creation by a central bank. It’s not capitalism when the system is plagued with incomprehensible rules regarding mergers, acquisitions, and stock sales, along with wage controls, price controls, protectionism, corporate subsidies, international management of trade, complex and punishing corporate taxes, privileged government contracts to the military-industrial complex, and a foreign policy controlled by corporate interests and overseas investments. Add to this centralized federal mismanagement of farming, education, medicine, insurance, banking and welfare. This is not capitalism!”
Jesus certainly didn't appear to be a fan of it.

RestlessSoul

Jesus certainly didn't appear to be a fan of it.

I don’t think capitalism existed in his day. Although Marx got a lot of his ideas about history - “All history is the history of class struggle” - from reading Livy, who was a contemporary of the Gospel writers.