• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cardinal Directions for Prayer/Meditation/Ritual

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
This varies regionally, and by sect as well. Southern Ganesha temples face east, and the worshippers face west. In my version of vastu, the shrine room should be in the northeast corner of the house, and we're lucky to have bought a house where that was possible. So as JustGeorge said, there is also a practicality involved.
My puja room is in the south center area of the house. I know its not the most recommended, but its the only extra room I have available, and it has a door, which is important to keep kids/cats out. Kids aren't allowed in without supervision, and cats never(with the exception of the time I looked in and Lamar had snuck in and appeared to be worshipping at the Shiva shrine. I let that slide). Cats find diyas tasty.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I'll face west if I'm specifically delving into my unconscious mind for NLP purposes. I'll face east if I'm looking for something to bubble up from my unconscious mind/inspiration. For general meditation no general direction, but I usually find myself facing north. I rarely face south.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I hope you understand that such unproductive responses make people less inclined to interact with you here. At least they do for me.

If that's your intention, I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Karma77

When you pray, meditate, or perform ritual, does it matter to you which direction you are facing?

If so, which direction do you face and why?
If you are praying to the Omnipresent and the Omniscient God, should it matter which direction you are facing?
From the perspective of cosmos, what is the direction in which Earth is placed? and then where are you placed on earth?

By losing logic and keeping such beliefs, we are only limiting our minds to believing that God will listen to me or my prayers will definitely get answered to if I sit in a certain direction.
Well that makes the existence of God as an Omnipresent being pointless! Isn't it?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
If you are praying to the Omnipresent and the Omniscient God, should it matter which direction you are facing?
From the perspective of cosmos, what is the direction in which Earth is placed? and then where are you placed on earth?

By losing logic and keeping such beliefs, we are only limiting our minds to believing that God will listen to me or my prayers will definitely get answered to if I sit in a certain direction.
Well that makes the existence of God as an Omnipresent being pointless! Isn't it?
So that's a "no," then?