• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carlin speaks of Religion (tee hee)

nonbeliever_92

1. “Something is wrong here: War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the resume of a supreme being. This is the kinda (expletive) you’d expect from an office temp with a bad attitude.”

2. “I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older; then it dawned on me – they’re cramming for their final exam.”

3“Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man… living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.”

Just_me_Mike

3“Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man… living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.”

Ignorance, but funny ignorance to many people.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
George Carlin certainly had a right to his own opinion. I remember him saying once that we should sell those houses near airports to deaf people and that people don't take a s*** but actually leave a s***. He also seemed to prefer baseball over football (As he said on that first episode of SNL back in 1975).
As funny as I found the man, I don't agree with him on faith.
:)

Last edited:

redeemed1

1. “Something is wrong here: War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the resume of a supreme being. This is the kinda (expletive) you’d expect from an office temp with a bad attitude.”

Say friend, the Bible agrees with you : Ever hear of free will? God did not make us robots. That is why He will hold us accountable for our sins -- "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God" (Rom 3.23) Sinners do kill and harm other ppl.

May I ask gently, if your other Q received a Bible answer also would you then b willing to give yourself to Jesus OR is your game just debating, scoffing or undermining others' faith? go in peace and joy - :)

logician

Depending upon denomination, the list could be somewhat longer, for example, in some denomations, drinking alcohol is a no-no.

nonbeliever_92

Say friend, the Bible agrees with you : Ever hear of free will? God did not make us robots. That is why He will hold us accountable for our sins -- "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God" (Rom 3.23) Sinners do kill and harm other ppl.

May I ask gently, if your other Q received a Bible answer also would you then b willing to give yourself to Jesus OR is your game just debating, scoffing or undermining others' faith? go in peace and joy - :)

So obviously if someone kills in the name of their god, or if someone kills because their god tells them so, they too must be sinners. Then if you disobey your god you go to hell anyway, but hey! at least you'r not a sinner! ...one of god's many little rubik's cubes.

MSizer

MSizer
I think George Carlin was a genius. While I certainly respect Dawkins' elaborate debunking of the sensibility of faith, I love how Carlin took so many of the major obvious points and summed them all up nice 'n easy, and exposed them for how silly they are.

That particular stand up schtick is by far my all time favorite comedy scene. I laughed at the beautiful simple yet logical teardown of religious peoples' nonsensical opinions.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I've never seen anything more of George Carlin besides bits and pieces of his more famous work, including the bits that are in the OP. I fail to see why this was or is considered funny because I would assume that comedians would have had something similar in their routines many years before Carlin. Was this not the case? Is it just the way he presented it?

linwood

I've never seen anything more of George Carlin besides bits and pieces of his more famous work, including the bits that are in the OP. I fail to see why this was or is considered funny because I would assume that comedians would have had something similar in their routines many years before Carlin. Was this not the case? Is it just the way he presented it?

Carlins timing and presence were masterful.
He was also the first to have a go at religion in his stand up routine in such a logical concise manner.

J Bryson

Carlin was fantastic. I'd consider him a prophetic voice, though the thought of that would probably have horrified him. He stands with Bill Hicks and Richard Pryor as one of the most insightful voices to ever hit the comedy stage.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Carlin took the cheap sham of religion and made great fun of it, while not touching the real essence of it. Genius.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I actually quote Carlin more in my sermons than any other person (outside of Biblical quotations) because he has a real sense of "separating the sheep" of truth from the "goats" of sham.