• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celibacy vs Marriage

Judgement Day

Celibacy that Christians claim to be practiced by Jesus, is it really a doctrinal law of God?

If all humans were to practice celibacy, human population will decrease gradually and eventually human race will come to an end.

Is celibacy a good example, what do you think?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If all humans were to practice celibacy, human population will decrease gradually and eventually human race will come to an end.

And this would be a bad thing?....
Seriously, I know a lot of celibate people who seem to have a lot more kids than married folk. This has become a major economic/sociological problem.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Seyorni said:
of course it would be bad, for this is not the purpose behind the creation of human beings.

Seriously, I know a lot of celibate people who seem to have a lot more kids than married folk. This has become a major economic/sociological problem.

How come do they have kids? By adoption?

Peace

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Peace said:
Seyorni said:
[quots]of course it would be bad, for this is not the purpose behind the creation of human beings.

Our "creation' was entirely fortuitous. We are a planetary infection. Earth/Nature would be better off without us.

How come do they have kids? By adoption?

Sorry, Peace. I was using the original definition. Celibacy is the state of being unmarried. Abstention from sex is chastity.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Religion loves to make rules, laws, and put some tenets above all others. God wants us to be fruitful and multiply because through us he experiences this incredibly vast and complex universe that He created, the more the better. But it's also FOR us.

You can hop from bed to bed and ignore growing up and in so doing you will never experience the higher forms of love. You will never find a thing that you love more than yourself. It is your choice.

Or you can find who fits you like the lost piece of a puzzle. One you can look at and just know that everything is going to be alright.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Seyorni said:
Peace said:
[/color]

Our "creation' was entirely fortuitous. We are a planetary infection. Earth/Nature would be better off without us.

I don't agree with you Sey, for nothing in the existance could exist without the existance of a Creator. Earth and nature were created for us Human being in order to contemplate and benefit from and than our Creator for His endless bouties.

Sorry, Peace. I was using the original definition. Celibacy is the state of being unmarried. Abstention from sex is chastity.
Sex outside of marriage i.e. fornication is considered illegal. Prophet Jesus peace be upon him was so chaste.

Peace

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Judgement Day said:
Celibacy that Christians claim to be practiced by Jesus, is it really a doctrinal law of God?
I say 'No'. I believe that Jesus remained celibate so he could focus on his ministry, but I don't think God requires the rest of us to remain celibate because....
Judgement Day said:
True...but seeing the provocative manner in which many young people dressed themselves this past weekend when our weather warmed up, I don't think it'sgoing to be a problem.:seesaw:

Forgive me if this seems blaspemous, but I don't think Jesus thought the rest of us were supposed to remain celibate. After all, not only did he attend a wedding, but he turned water into wine. As they say...you do the math.;)
Judgement Day said:
As Peter said 'the spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak....celibacy was not in the cards for me personally, but I have a great deal of respect for people who choose to answer such a calling. So, I would answer 'Yes', celibacy is a good example. 'Rising above' pleasures of the body allows some people to 'connect' with the spiritual in a way they otherwise could not.:162:

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Judgement Day said:

No and I don't think you'll find a single Christian that believes it is. We have monastics, who are celibate, but it's a discipline not a doctrine (our clergy may be married or celibate, though bishops are always celibate or widowers - that latter is a tradition not a doctrine). The Roman Catholics also have monastics and celibate priests. Again it is a discipline, not a doctrine. St. Paul said that celibacy was better, for those who were able to accept it, but even he does not make it into any kind of doctrine, so where exactly do you get the idea that Christians believe in a doctrine that all are called to celibacy?

James

Judgement Day

CaptainXeroid said:
I say 'No'. I believe that Jesus remained celibate so he could focus on his ministry, but I don't think God requires the rest of us to remain celibate because....
Judgement Day said:
Is it necessary for us to remain celibate to focus ourselves to God? I do think it is not.

CaptainXeroid said:
Forgive me if this seems blaspemous, but I don't think Jesus thought the rest of us were supposed to remain celibate. After all, not only did he attend a wedding, but he turned water into wine. As they say...you do the math.
As Peter said 'the spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak....celibacy was not in the cards for me personally, but I have a great deal of respect for people who choose to answer such a calling. So, I would answer 'Yes', celibacy is a good example. 'Rising above' pleasures of the body allows some people to 'connect' with the spiritual in a way they otherwise could not.
If were Jesus I would do such examples that all my followers could follow and practice. After all, one of God's first laws and commandments to man was marriage. God has continued to bless and sanction people who honors this covenant. I dont think it is a good example.

Judgement Day

JamesThePersian said:
No and I don't think you'll find a single Christian that believes it is. We have monastics, who are celibate, but it's a discipline not a doctrine (our clergy may be married or celibate, though bishops are always celibate or widowers - that latter is a tradition not a doctrine). The Roman Catholics also have monastics and celibate priests. Again it is a discipline, not a doctrine. St. Paul said that celibacy was better, for those who were able to accept it, but even he does not make it into any kind of doctrine, so where exactly do you get the idea that Christians believe in a doctrine that all are called to celibacy?
Ok, its a discipline, again, my question is: is it a good example?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Good post, CX, I Agree. I believe also in the letter Paul wrote was to the leaders of a church, not the members. Keep in mind that most of the NT letters where addressed to certain people to address a particular issue. They sometimes get taken way out of context.

Opethian

The bible clearly states that reproduction is a sin! So all you christians out there stop reproducing! The reason for this will be clear in about 70 years :D

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Opethian said:
The bible clearly states that reproduction is a sin! So all you christians out there stop reproducing! The reason for this will be clear in about 70 years :D
Sure it does. :rolleyes:

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Judgement Day said:
Is it necessary for us to remain celibate to focus ourselves to God? I do think it is not.
Then we are in agreement on this.:)
Judgement Day said:
If were Jesus I would do such examples that all my followers could follow and practice...
Yes, you make a very good point. One thing to remember is that people tend to retain about 25% of what you tell them and about 50% of the example you set for them. OK..there might be some rounding error involved, but hang with me.:D Assuming that Jesus knew that God wanted us to not 'play around' with sex as if it were a 'toy', Jesus had to set an extreme example of celibacy in the hopes that we would treat sex with reverence.

Anyway, sometimes, a leader has to provide an example knowing that others cannot duplicate all his actions, but he does so with the hope that in the striving to live up to that example, they live better than if they had no example.:162:

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Seyorni said:

Earth would be better off without people that believed that.

Judgement Day

CaptainXeroid said:
Then we are in agreement on this.
Yes, you make a very good point. One thing to remember is that people tend to retain about 25% of what you tell them and about 50% of the example you set for them. OK..there might be some rounding error involved, but hang with me.Assuming that Jesus knew that God wanted us to not 'play around' with sex as if it were a 'toy', Jesus had to set an extreme example of celibacy in the hopes that we would treat sex with reverence.

Anyway, sometimes, a leader has to provide an example knowing that others cannot duplicate all his actions, but he does so with the hope that in the striving to live up to that example, they live better than if they had no example.
Good points, but...all prophets before Jesus were married. They live by the commandment of God to perform marriage. Even the first human ever created, Adam, performed marriage. Marriage is a better example than celibacy because it restrains you from fornication, adultery, whoredom etc. God even, throughout history, has given many laws concerning marriage rather than restraining marriage. Celibacy also contributes little to the nature of human, men or women, because propigation of the species is contributory, anything else leads to the end of human history.

Dentonz

Judgement Day said:

You might ought to read 1 Timothy 4:1-4. And also in 1 Tim 3:2 one of the requirements for a bishop is to be married. Because if he can't govern a household, how can he govern the house of God. Also in the same chapter deacons are to married. Now as far as evangelists, Paul said that it is better to be single only because the single man can devote all his affection toward God.

If I understand correctly, the catholic church didn't always require priests be celibate - that came some time "later".

I'm rusty. I'll look it up. I'm not aware of other sects of christianity that require celibacy.