• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Change of plans...new orders

Ðanisty

Okay, so now that I was all set to go to Washington state, the Army pulled a semi-predictable 180 on us. We're going to Ft. Drum, New York instead. Now I know we're seeing snow!

lunamoth

Will to love
You'll have to look up cardero when you're there...and yes you will see snow.

OK, I can't say Fort Drum is the most beautiful part of NY, but you will be very very near some of the most beautiful parts of the state...the Adirondak Mountains are wonderful.

Ðanisty

:ski: <---Leslie :clap2:

When will you be moving?

Peace,
Mystic
That's funnier than you think. Seain's been told he has to learn how to ski for his job. I'll still be moving whenever I get the house sold which will hopefully be on the market next week. Seain reports on October 9th.

You'll have to look up cardero when you're there...and yes you will see snow.

OK, I can't say Fort Drum is the most beautiful part of NY, but you will be very very near some of the most beautiful parts of the state...the Adirondak Mountains are wonderful.
Well, it's a Fort. I don't expect it to be beautiful, but I think the towns nearby are supposed to be major tourist spots.

Are you excited?
Very! I've never seen snow, barely seen mountains...not too familiar with lakes. I think it will be nice.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Woo! That's only around 5 hours from me. Maybe we can find someplace in the middle of the state to meet up :D And, if you want to learn to ski, maybe you should come visit me in vermont this winter and my hubby and I can set you up with some great instructors.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I think you would have really enjoyed western Washington (plus the Huskies look like they might be back :D). But NY is cool, too.

Ðanisty

Woo! That's only around 5 hours from me. Maybe we can find someplace in the middle of the state to meet up :D And, if you want to learn to ski, maybe you should come visit me in vermont this winter and my hubby and I can set you up with some great instructors.
I'm not sure if I'll have time this winter. The move itself might keep me pretty busy and I've only seen my husband for a total of 12 hours time in about 6 months. I'll probably be sticking close to home at first. I've apparently got tons of online friends within 5 hours of Ft. Drum. I'm going to have to throw a part or something...lol. We'll totally meet up. :D

doppelgänger;941468 said:
I think you would have really enjoyed western Washington (plus the Huskies look like they might be back :D). But NY is cool, too.
Well, nothing in the Army is permanent. We can always request Ft. Lewis later. I do think it would be nice out there. I have to say though, for our first assignment, I'm kinda glad I'll only be moving 1000 miles instead of 3000 miles.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Ðanisty;941434 said:
Very! I've never seen snow, barely seen mountains...not too familiar with lakes. I think it will be nice.

Ooh, I'm so jealous! That's the kind of terrain and climate I really love.

If you get cold in the winter, just buy a pair of thermal undies. That is, for when Seian is on duty. :D

Ðanisty

Ooh, I'm so jealous! That's the kind of terrain and climate I really love.

If you get cold in the winter, just buy a pair of thermal undies. That is, for when Seian is on duty. :D
I think I'm really going to like it. But Booko, you can come visit...lol!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Wow. I can tell you, seeing a light snow dusting cover everything, especially pine trees, is absolutely beautiful.:yes:

And then you realise you have to drive in it, and wish it would all go away.

lunamoth

Will to love
It's true, driving in just a little snow can be more dangerous than a lot, especially if there is black ice under a dusting.

Don't drive in a snowstorm unless you really need to, and if you do just take it nice and easy, even if other idiots are passing you. Those that drive in the snow the same as if it's a nice summer day are the ones being pulled out of the ditches the next day.

Ðanisty

It's true, driving in just a little snow can be more dangerous than a lot, especially if there is black ice under a dusting.
Kind of like how driving when the rain firsts starts is more dangerous than driving after it's been raining awhile. Fresh water on the roads makes them slicker.

Don't drive in a snowstorm unless you really need to, and if you do just take it nice and easy, even if other idiots are passing you. Those that drive in the snow the same as if it's a nice summer day are the ones being pulled out of the ditches the next day.
*nod* Again, reminds me of idiots in the rain.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Nah...doing doughnuts in an empty parking lot is a real blast.
It's even more fun on the road, in a 3/4 ton truck.:yes::D

Driving in the snow isn't that bad until you hit black ice region..
Never underestimate a fresh dusting though. Just on one trip to town on one day, when the snow was falling and the city plows had still not cleared any roads at 10 in the morning, I saw one car slide head first into a guard rail, one car rear end another, and yet another wreck (allthough I didn't witness it). I've slid in a ditch a couple times. I rear ended my best friend's dad's car from a fresh dusting.
And I'm sure you've heard it before, but if you haven't, four wheel drive does not give you more traction on icy/snowy roads. It'll help you get out of a ditch, but you will still slide around like any other car.