• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Change Your Child's Sexual Orientation

Trey of Diamonds

What if they discovered how to tell what your sexual orientation was before you were born? What if they discovered how to change that orientation in the womb? Would you change your child's sexual orientation prior to their birth? Do you think a parent should have the right to do so? Right now, the parents can opt to end the life of a fetus, is changing that fetus' genetic material any different? Why? What about other genetic modifications? Like adding a tail or fur?

Wirey

Fartist
What if they discovered how to tell what your sexual orientation was before you were born? What if they discovered how to change that orientation in the womb? Would you change your child's sexual orientation prior to their birth? Do you think a parent should have the right to do so? Right now, the parents can opt to end the life of a fetus, is changing that fetus' genetic material any different? Why? What about other genetic modifications? Like adding a tail or fur?

Speaking as a man with a lesbian daughter (cool lesbian, not the angry trucker kind), I think such a thing would be monstrous. My little girl is still the greatest thing ever. I never fell so much in love with someone at first site (except maybe Racquel Welsh in that fur bikini) before or since, and I wouldn't change it for anything. Anyone who would should probably go get themselves spayed or neutered, because if you think that little of your own offspring, I'd like to encourage you to towel off and stay out of the gene pool.

Plus, if you have gay kids, there's less babysitting later. Think about it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Engineering one's progeny sounds tempting.
I could go for it.
Yeah, there are ethical quandries, but there are always those.
I wonder if there's a gene for making money & providing well for parents?

Awoon

Why are men always thinking about vagina's?

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
What if they discovered how to tell what your sexual orientation was before you were born?
I doubt if they will because I think sexual orientation while mainly genetic is also partly influenced by environment and personal choice.

What if they discovered how to change that orientation in the womb? Would you change your child's sexual orientation prior to their birth?
I would not wish to change my child's sexual orientation no matter what it was.

Do you think a parent should have the right to do so?
No because that would imply that some sexual orientations were preferable to others.
Right now, the parents can opt to end the life of a fetus, is changing that fetus' genetic material any different? Why? What about other genetic modifications? Like adding a tail or fur?
Well changing the genetic material wouldn't result in death; however I am pro choice. In principle I think parents have the right to make genetic changes if those changes can be shown to improve the life chances of the fetus. For example to remove genes that may later cause cancer or other genetically inherited illnesses.
I do think it will be eventually possible to make dramatic changes to fetuses (such as adding a tail or fur) but again I would say that parents should only be able to interfere in the development of the fetus to enhance the person's life chances; or in the earliest stages, to terminate the pregnancy.

Wirey

Fartist
Why are men always thinking about vagina's?

Is that a serious question? Have you ever spent any time with a vagina? They're spectacular! They look good, they feel good, and most of them can do a fantastic Willie Nelson impersonation.

Trey of Diamonds

Plus, if you have gay kids, there's less babysitting later. Think about it.

Amen brother. I like to tell all my Baptist relatives that I would love it if my daughter turned out to be a lesbian, after all, teenage lesbians don't get pregnant. It's fun to watch their faces turn all pruney.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Amen brother. I like to tell all my Baptist relatives that I would love it if my daughter turned out to be a lesbian, after all, teenage lesbians don't get pregnant. It's fun to watch their faces turn all pruney.
I am seriously hoping the daughter I want to have turns out to be a lesbian, so if I could engineer it somehow, I would. I don't wanna go through that awkward phase where the father has to worry so much about his daughter. Of course, I know I am going to be super-protective of her from the girls she brings home, but at least pregnancy will not be a worry.

Wirey

Fartist
A tale, yet true:

When my two daughters were 14 and 11, I offered them $100 each to be gay, because I didn't want to babysit. The oldest held out for $250. A few years later, my oldest daughter was in class when a teacher starting saying how disappointing it would be for a parent to have a gay child. My daughter immediately piped up (she gets her aggressive behaviour from her mom) and said "You can't say that. It's not true."

The teacher said "Really? What would your parents say if you told them you were gay?"

My daughter said "Actually, my dad offered me $100 if I'd turn gay, just so he doesn't have to watch my kids."

Her best friend said "It's true. I was there."

The teacher changed the subject and never mentioned it again.

4consideration

Premium Member
Wirey...this is also true.

I have both a sister and an adult niece (my brother's daughter) that are both lesbians. Both have children.

My sister's partner had in vitro fertilization. (3 children)

My niece had in vitro fertiliztion. (1 child)

You may get to baby-sit yet!

Trey, I would not change the sexual orientation of my child, nor would I add fur or a tail. :)

Awoon

Is that a serious question? Have you ever spent any time with a vagina? They're spectacular! They look good, they feel good, and most of them can do a fantastic Willie Nelson impersonation.

All my questions are serious.:yes:

Wirey

Fartist
Wirey...this is also true.

I have both a sister and an adult niece (my brother's daughter) that are both lesbians. Both have children.

My sister's partner had in vitro fertilization. (3 children)

My niece had in vitro fertiliztion. (1 child)

You may get to baby-sit yet!

Trey, I would not change the sexual orientation of my child, nor would I add fur or a tail. :)

I believe they talk to your family before you can adopt. I'll make up some Nazi or Ted Bundy stuff and wreck her chances if it comes to that.

Actually, she's told me she doesn't want kids.

Trey of Diamonds

While I wouldn't do any customization on my children in the womb, I might consider some alterations to my current body. Tails can be useful and a nice fur coat would make winter less uncomfortable. The Merman package might be cool too, I always loved being in the water.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
As long as it doesn't cause the child too much hassle, I don't see why not.

I don't see any point in changing sexual orientation, but you tempt me with incorporating other genetic traits. Babies with gills? :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I really doubt the premises of being able to identity your child's sexual orientation before birth will ever be possible, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future. Especially sense it has yet to be, and likely never will be confirmed that sexual orientation is solely genetic.
But even if they tried, there is so much that we yet do not know about the brain and genetic coding that to even attempt such a feat runs the risk of very serious consequences that could be very damaging to the child's mental and/or physical health.
My only hope is that should such techniques ever be developed, it will be by a society that does not bicker and quarrel over homosexuals being normal or flawed individuals, as it will be known and generally understood that homosexuality is nothing more than normal variation of human sexuality.

When my two daughters were 14 and 11, I offered them $100 each to be gay, because I didn't want to babysit. The oldest held out for $250. A few years later, my oldest daughter was in class when a teacher starting saying how disappointing it would be for a parent to have a gay child. My daughter immediately piped up (she gets her aggressive behaviour from her mom) and said "You can't say that. It's not true."
That is so sad and horrible that a teacher would say such a thing. At least your daughter was able to make her eat her words.

apophenia

What if genetics determines tendencies like mysticism, obedience, empathy, competitiveness and so forth ?

Should we be striving for nature-loving poets or hardcore fascist survivalists ?

If there is a genetic determination of the love of personal freedom vs obedience to the state, which would you choose ? Actually, if that were the case, governments would probably force doctors to screen for 'troublemakers' and force their abortion.

What a wonderful world this could be.

Yeah, off topic. Their preference regarding what kind of genitals they like to play with is way more important.

Me Myself

Back to my username
A tale, yet true:

The teacher said "Really? What would your parents say if you told them you were gay?"

My daughter said "Actually, my dad offered me $100 if I'd turn gay, just so he doesn't have to watch my kids."

Her best friend said "It's true. I was there."

The teacher changed the subject and never mentioned it again.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL epic.

That said, it sounds like a weird joke initialy o.o... it was joke right? >_>

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I would totally opt for both the fur and tail if I could retroengineer myself. But it does seem rather invasive to choose stuff like that for your spawn. Maybe they don't think tails are as cool as I do.

Anyone see Gattaca? Great movie about how parents do just this, and basically, it's to the point that if you don't genetically modify your baby to be smarter, healthier, stronger, etc, you're dooming them to a life in the margins. At least one set of parents gave their child 6 fingers and musical prowress so he'd become a great pianist.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What if they discovered how to tell what your sexual orientation was before you were born? What if they discovered how to change that orientation in the womb? Would you change your child's sexual orientation prior to their birth?

Nope.

I wouldn't change anything based on arbitrary reasons, or for personal preferences, assuming that in a such a situation i would ever decide to change anything.

The only situation i could see myself changing anything if such an option was available is if such a change would demonstrably improve the kid's life. Like if there were some defects, or if i could increase intelligence and so forth, without any possible repercussions.

Do you think a parent should have the right to do so?

Not sure, but more leaning towards yes. I'm looking at it the same way i would look at a parent wanting to change skin color for example, or some arbitrary appearance related stuff. If parents would be allowed that, i can't see why not also allow them to manipulate sexual orientation.

IOW, i can't see any harm to base upon which my will to deny people such a right.

What about other genetic modifications? Like adding a tail or fur?

Though still a little unsure in this regard, i'd be a bit more inclined against such radical modifications being allowed. Reason being that i think they very likely could hold severe consequences for the child and as such i would be inclined to consider it a form of abuse. A permanent unchanged one too (unless in such a scenario you could also reverse such things :D).