• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changed religion so many times, reluctant to label myself..

Maija

Have you ever changed your religion so many times that you're a little reluctant to label yourself out of fear of judgement? I know labels are uneeded, but they can be good for identity. before, my parents loved my God seeking self but now i think it just comes across as confused! lol

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Have you ever changed your religion so many times that you're a little reluctant to label yourself out of fear of judgement? I know labels are uneeded, but they can be good for identity. before, my parents loved my God seeking self but now i think it just comes across as confused! lol
I never changed my religion but my religious beliefs changed time to time. Initially I was atheist after that I became Vaishnav than Arya Samaji and now I follow vedic hinduism and also I am learning Tantra. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever changed your religion so many times that you're a little reluctant to label yourself out of fear of judgement?

I've changed religions, and I am still evolving. I'm reluctant to label myself not because of fear of judgment, but because I'm not really sure what I should call myself. I changed religious affiliation once, Roman Catholic to Eastern Orthodox, but still Christian. I dropped religion once, dropping Christianity altogether and became "panendeistic", a panentheistic deist. Then I took on Hinduism in a henotheistic manner, and have been adding elements of other philosophies and religions I find compatible and supplementary to Hinduism: Buddhism, Taoism, and a subset of Christianity called Jesuism, which is only the teachings and philosophies of Jesus (and nothing else from "Christianity").

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I changed my religion enough times, that was when I stopped and realized: I'm changing myself for religion, not religion for myself. So I started using only relevant labels, never changing my beliefs, only the labels for them. Then I realized, not one religion can summarize a man. So then I stopped. Hope that helps.

Maija

i will respond more in depth later to everyone, but i feel at times that i love religion too much to not take inspiration from others. i guess taking inspiration and finding beauty in other faith does not mean that you do not have one religious identity with much love for the faith of others!

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Yeah I know how this is... But I feel I need to put down a label if I'm trying out something so that people can see that and help out. IDK for the forums anyway, it's useful.

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister

Yes. Changed several times, including a brief bout of atheism. :)

I am an ordained minister in an independent branch of New Thought Christianity, but still read extensively on Buddhism and Hinduism. So, see! You're not alone!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis

Many, many times. :cover:

Maija

I never changed my religion but my religious beliefs changed time to time. Initially I was atheist after that I became Vaishnav than Arya Samaji and now I follow vedic hinduism and also I am learning Tantra. :)

its wonderful that you finally settled, better yet all under the umbrella of Hinduism, one (large) religion

Maija

Yes. Changed several times, including a brief bout of atheism. :)

I am an ordained minister in an independent branch of New Thought Christianity, but still read extensively on Buddhism and Hinduism. So, see! You're not alone!

I love my seeking nature but sometimes i feel its too adventurous and im looking for a home now to nest, not an endless journey on varying paths.

Maija

I changed my religion enough times, that was when I stopped and realized: I'm changing myself for religion, not religion for myself. So I started using only relevant labels, never changing my beliefs, only the labels for them. Then I realized, not one religion can summarize a man. So then I stopped. Hope that helps.

The last bit is true but it can be beneficial for identity to have a spiritual community you are aligned with.

Jainarayan- i have been so used to collecting various beliefs uptil now, making it up as i go on based on what feels right and im left still in doubt and without routine. i have a sudden fear that what if ive got some things wrong? it could be better yet to stick with one religion and follow it to a the best of my ability.

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I have tried being a Christian, Muslim and a Hindu and it all failed. I take inspiration from Hinduism and Islam but I am never quick to associate myself with either party. I just beat around the bush and try being mysterious about my association. But to be technical I am nothing more then a deist and I believe secular rationality is the only way to loo at religion and ultimately understand god. God does not demand worship, he demands study.
Labels and religion are useless at the end of the day because we all grow up and mature and become more intune to understanding and intellectual progression. So we are bound to change until we evacuate the complexes of restrictive thought and rebound from limitative control to independent intellectualism.
When I was a fundamentalist Christian I once told a person that "if you can't be a good Christian then try picking another religion". The minute I said that was the minute I realized I am no Christian, yet alone a Muslim or Hindu. I cannot even proselytize or prove my faith valid to others. Any individual still claiming religious superiority seriously needs to grow up. Being a Muslim, Jew, Christian, Buddhist, Shintoist, Pagan, or Hindu means absolutely nothing at the end of the day when we are all humans. As humans we are far too different to possibly understand one another yet no religion has occurred twice in different locations.
So picking a label often means picking a different culture and living according to an ethnicity. Muslim means Arab, Jew means Israeli and Hindu means Indian. I have picked choices 1 and 3 and I can assure I am of neither ethnic backgrounds. As a Muslim I perform salah in Arabic and as a Hindu I recite Sanskrit mantras and bhajan in a foreign tongue. Religions are restricted to locales and culture outside ones own and every time a religion is introduced away from its epicenter it gets mixed with local customs and creates syncretization.

So my personal advice to anyone is not to be so picky over a label because I have tried 6 as of now and I tried my best and none of them worked out by singular context. But each one left me smarter then the last and enlightened me much I felt as if I outgrew them. Yes I adhere to Islamic rituals, I pray just like a Muslim, Meditate like a Hindu, enjoy Pagan symbolism and implement secular rationalization.
Try putting a theological label on me and I can assure that you would be luckier trying to get a zebra to sing. I dare you all :cool:

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Jainarayan- i have been so used to collecting various beliefs uptil now, making it up as i go on based on what feels right and im left still in doubt and without routine. i have a sudden fear that what if ive got some things wrong? it could be better yet to stick with one religion and follow it to a the best of my ability.

I can understand that. It can be confusing and distressing when you are drawn to aspects of multiple religions or philosophies that have defined and delineated practices and beliefs. For example, I was intrigued by Vajrayāna, and thought I could incorporate it as it should be into Hindu practice. I found I could not. Without empowerment, the only sadhana I could perform is Chenrezig's, and visualization is not as appealing as I thought it would be. I could only go as far as adding the buddhas and bodhisattvas to my pantheon of deities, much as Christians have their saints and angels they pray to for help and guidance. Yet all comes from God, in the end.

So what good is it to pray to saints, angels, buddhas and bodhisattvas? Because I think it goes back to the verse from the B.G. about spiritual advancement being difficult focusing on the unmanifest. Christians, especially, will say you don't need help from anyone other than God. I disagree with that. We are a spiritual community with the devas, saints, angels, buddhas and bodhisattvas. We all pray to God; we make a louder noise together. :D

As far as what my routine is with all this, it's just lamp and incense offering (sometimes sweets and water), some mantras, and prayers of praise, thanks, asking for blessings and grace for myself and others, peace and happiness. It's by no means a Hindu puja nor a Buddhist (and definitely not Vajrayāna) sadhana. One might say I'm taking B.G. 9.26 too far and saying "oh what the heck, he'll accept whatever I do", but it's not that. What I do feels right for me. I don't do it often, but when I do, I get a warm fuzzy feeling. Not a self-satisfied feeling, but a feeling of connectedness, and remembering my place in the universe. So, I don't think there's anything right or wrong except what you think is right or wrong. For me an archetypal Hindu puja isn't right, nor is a Vajrayāna sadhana.

Wait, what was the question? :p

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't know whether its actually changing religion for most people, or just rediscovering which religion your existing beliefs resemble the most.

Religions with an inner hierarchy, or a mystical tradition, are a bit different, as there is a connection made to the inner beings in charge of that religion. So if you're Hindu, its Hindu devas who help you from other worlds, and if you're Catholic or Eastern orthodox, its archangels who help you out. So in this faiths there really is such a thing as a conversion, in a mystical way, not just in external beliefs.

Actually changing religions in this way is a fairly big and drastic shift, as mystically you get 'chucked out' by the inner helpers, only to be re-accepted by new and different ones.

Personally I was agnostic officially, if there's such a thing, and then Hindu since I discovered that my beliefs jived pretty much with SD.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
The last bit is true but it can be beneficial for identity to have a spiritual community you are aligned with.

What's the benefit of labeling? Why not hang in several churches and call yourself by your own name? I think labeling makes things worse for one, not better.

Orias

Left Hand Path

I'd call you an adversary, oppositional to the forces around you. What you label yourself and what you decide is important, and necessary. Labels define clarity, when one is clear, they are capable of truly understanding what they need, and what actually defines them.

When one is without definition, they are without direction, when they are without direction, well then they mind as well just be...fire. To me, you are a Satanist, but then again, to me, everyone is a Satanist. In the end, what matters is hardly relevant to what little truth each and everyone of us possesses.

Me Myself

Back to my username
i will respond more in depth later to everyone, but i feel at times that i love religion too much to not take inspiration from others. i guess taking inspiration and finding beauty in other faith does not mean that you do not have one religious identity with much love for the faith of others!

Sure it doesnt.

In any case, one of e reasons I dont try to summarize myself with one single label when asked about my spirituality (remember you cant help to label yourself as you talk : words are labels) its because I know it wont work.

If I am asked to use major religion labels then watch this:

I am a christian hindu buddhist. Problem?

Yah, not going to be on my "religion:" identifier next to my non existent avatar any time soon xD.

Maija

What's the benefit of labeling? Why not hang in several churches and call yourself by your own name? I think labeling makes things worse for one, not better

Orias/Me myself/Sum of Awe.

Because with labeling comes identity and guidelines. I like structure and I've grown tired of making it up as I go on. If most religions are a path way to reaching God, then I want to choose and follow one correctly. Believe me, the last 3 years I've been winging it and I feel like a thermostat, constantly reevaluating where I stand on things because I've been reading and absorbing so much- learning a lot and yet I am still back at square one, I have no practice which is most important.

Much faith but feel little relief...

I don't know whether its actually changing religion for most people, or just rediscovering which religion your existing beliefs resemble the most.

Closest to me are beliefs that even you Vinayaka would say are incompatible, over the last few months I've been close to:
-Vaishnavism
-Islam

I still have a part of me that craves the sisterhood I felt in Islam, the protection in my hijab, the solidity I felt in my prayers...and yet another part remembers how difficult it was to do 5 daily prayers..I felt that maybe I should be able to communicate to God in whatever way felt most natural providing I was in a purified state of mind and body...

However after reading the BG I feel in love, while Islam provided logic, protection for me it was like my bread and butter- Dharmic faiths were out of this world for me, some much truth and tender thoughts that I'd never heard, resonating so true.

But then there is the issue of things that have come up in other threads, idol worship, idols in GENERAL, reincarnation and other things...

So, I'm not sure where I stand right now.

Like others searching, I thank God for my patient husband, I hope to provide a good example and yet I prob. come across as more confused than faithful.

Maija

Jainarayan-

Maybe I'm not in this forum but it feels like somethings in the air- :sarcastic what are the stars doing this month?

I feel like I'd THOUGHT I'd read so much and finalized much of my beliefs into perhaps a step towards Vaishnavism for a long time..I was doing my mantra, meditating, making friends at the ashram whom are very deep to me. Taking kirtan lessons, saving up for a harmonium so I could play bhajans here..preparing to lead a kirtan with my friend and suddenly if there was a switch it went off.

Not as in those moments where you've described feeling far from God but different. Now I have self doubt. It's such a tender thing to think about and I'm embarrassed because, although my search for God is wonderful, there's something slightly awkward about changing religious paths..It's so personal part of my family and even husband would want to ask: "Really, again? What's this about now?" But, they save me the embarassment because what would I say, you don't want to talk down a path you recently walked away from but..its all so personal . :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's where I am. In this in between religious phase, like an (awkward developing teen :shivers: ) where I know it would not be a surprise to my family and friends because they are prob. waiting for me to choose something instead of being interested in EVERYTHING.

Dear God, I hope this makes sense to SOMEONE> :shout

I have tried being a Christian, Muslim and a Hindu and it all failed. I take inspiration from Hinduism and Islam but I am never quick to associate myself with either party. I just beat around the bush and try being mysterious about my association. But to be technical I am nothing more then a deist and I believe secular rationality is the only way to loo at religion and ultimately understand god. God does not demand worship, he demands study.
Labels and religion are useless at the end of the day because we all grow up and mature and become more intune to understanding and intellectual progression.

I feel we are very like minded in our love of Islam and dharmic religions. I would differ and say that from an Islamic POV, God does require submission which to me says more about worship, i.e. salat 5x a day than it does study. I would even say that you could study and meditate hours a day but to be a good Muslim you are still required to perform the daily prayers.

From wiki:
Under the Hanbali School of thought, a person who doesn't pray 5 times a day is a disbeliever. The other 3 schools of thought say that the person who doesn't pray 5 times a day is just a sinner. Prayer is regarded as a dividing line between a believer and a non-believer (according to Sahih Muslim).

Really don't want to debate about this ;) just thoughts. I don't have the breath for debates, just spilling some thoughts .

So my personal advice to anyone is not to be so picky over a label because I have tried 6 as of now and I tried my best and none of them worked out by singular context. But each one left me smarter then the last and enlightened me much I felt as if I outgrew them. Yes I adhere to Islamic rituals, I pray just like a Muslim, Meditate like a Hindu, enjoy Pagan symbolism and implement secular rationalization.

I aspire to the underlined...your put it beautifully!

@ the bolded-- I've not done 6 but it's been: Catholic/Christian/Muslim/Baha'i..

I wish my spiritual journey came with Map Quest because I'm feelin' lost!

Last edited: