• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child rape victim allowed abortion.

Do you agree with the Romanian government committee's decision?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • No.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Unsure.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm surprised the Christian, right-to life viewpoint has not been brought up, that is:

Killing a person is immoral.
A foetus is a person.
Killing a foetus is immoral.

Thus, abortion is a crime against the foetus, and the circumstances of its creation have no bearing on its right to life or the morality of killing it.

Granted, the continued existence of this child's foetus, soon to be her son/daughter, may be distressing to her and may have negative long-term psychic consequences, but is a person's right to life contingent on his not being distressing or troublesome to others?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
True.
The debate revolves primarily around the minor premise, but some Christians do differentiate between killing and murder in this debate.

"Murder," of course, is a legal term, the definition of which is flexible. In the late 1930s, for example, it was not illegal; not murder, to exterminate an entire ethnic group, in one European country.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm surprised the Christian, right-to life viewpoint has not been brought up, that is
I didn't really want to get in a debate... so I just put "I am against all abortions..."

spiritually inclined

I'm surprised the Christian, right-to life viewpoint has not been brought up, that is:

Killing a person is immoral.
A foetus is a person.
Killing a foetus is immoral.

Thus, abortion is a crime against the foetus, and the circumstances of its creation have no bearing on its right to life or the morality of killing it.

Granted, the continued existence of this child's foetus, soon to be her son/daughter, may be distressing to her and may have negative long-term psychic consequences, but is a person's right to life contingent on his not being distressing or troublesome to others?

I reject the notion that a fetus without any brain activity or consciousness whatsoever is a person.

James

smidget

Will become a human?
What the hell is it before it becomes a human?
I am fairly sure that it was a HUMAN sperm that fertilized a HUMAN egg.
Would you define one of your cheek cells as a human then? I think, the main obvious difference between one of the regular cells in your body and a fertilised egg is that the egg has the potential to become a person (although, an argument could certainly be made about the potential of the DNA in that cheek cell to be injected into an empty egg cell to make a person), a person being roughly defined as a being with thoughts and feelings and a general consiousness.

But as to the Q at hand, I think that yes, she should be able to have an abortion. Even if you think abortion is Wrong (and I'm not altogether sure on the topic, but I certainly believe the pregnant woman should have the choice, not us), I think there's a very definite argument that this is the lesser of evils - that there would be very probable physical (not to mention mental) damage to both the girl and to the baby.

smidget

incest, bad: no choice
rape, bad : no choice
abortion, bad: choice
though i do agree that its awfull it happend it is now her choice if she wants to continue bad behavior or take a turn for good at the expence of a couple a months, the baby might even die before then incest is notoriusly for miscariage, but atleasts she tryed then
I know this is not entirely the subject at hand, and I'm certainly not saying that this girl's rape was anything but hideous, but I'm not entirely sure of the logic behind saying that all incest is nessecarily wrong. I remember getting upset for a separated brother and sister that had finally met, fallen in love, but then be completely and utterly rejected by all their friends and family, then persecuted by the police. I think there's an issue with them having kids (but is it more of an issue than people who are aware they are genetic disease carriers, or perhaps even disabled people having children?), but having sex? If they're in love and it's entirely consesual, then I can't find a problem with it.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Even if it means the person dieing if they don't have one?
Everything should be done to ensure, as much as possible, the life of both mother and child. The only situation I have heard of that I would not be opposed to an abortion is when an ectopic pregnancy is coming to term(where both mother and child will almost surely die in the process)...

idea

Question Everything
From personal experience, I don't think having an abortion would help someone who has been abused. It did not help me, it only made it worse. Until you are actually a parent, you cannot understand what being a parent means. Parents do anything for their kids - you don't know that you would do anything for them until after you hold them in your arms for the first time though. I wish someone would have stopped me when I was too young to know. I have forgiven the person who abused me. The big hurt in my life is not from being abused, it is from having lost a child.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Did anyone ask the young girl what she wanted?Or was the decision made for her?

In the meantime my concern is for her ability to deal with this decision now and as an adult..

At that stage?..Most likely she can feel that baby in her stomach..and most likely it is moving around and kicking..Even though she is so young..I would let her determine what to do..And give her mountains of love and support...

Love

Dallas