• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

children and religion

jakedavid91

Hey, new to the forums and don't worry im not some arsehole who is going to bash religion. In fact i have taken A level theology and philosophy!

I have always wondered whether it is moraly right to teach children the concept of a god, as at such a young age most children are bound to believe what their parents tell them. So as these believers begin to age it grows with them, and some say this is faith; but can it not be said that it is just a preset concept planted into their minds during child development?

sorry if this is in the wrong section by the way.

peace x

J Bryson

That's actually an excellent question. If I should have children someday, I plan to give them a broad overview of beliefs, but also state quite clearly what I believe. However, their spiritual development will almost undoubtedly be different from mine, and I would hope that I would respect whatever they choose to believe, so long as they act with compassion and respect towards others.

So no, I don't find the concept of teaching children the concept of God to be too troubling. What I do find problematic is where this can lead, when children are taught sanctimony and judgment through their religions rather than compassion and understanding.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Hey, new to the forums and don't worry im not some arsehole who is going to bash religion. In fact i have taken A level theology and philosophy!

I have always wondered whether it is moraly right to teach children the concept of a god, as at such a young age most children are bound to believe what their parents tell them. So as these believers begin to age it grows with them, and some say this is faith; but can it not be said that it is just a preset concept planted into their minds during child development?

sorry if this is in the wrong section by the way.

peace x

Welcome :) I'm not sure where else you'd post this, here seems an appropriate place :p

I have a problem with children who are indoctrinated at a young age. Their minds absorb everything they hear, hence why children usually have a dirty vocabulary before anything else :rolleyes:
From my experience, people who have devoted religious parents usually struggle at a school not designed to cater for their faith. I went to a public school as far as my second last year these kids who i'd known since my 5th year at school were terrible at reasoning and rationalizing in maths and science. There might be reasons outside religion but who knows.

I don't like the idea of teaching a kid religion as truth at a young age. Sure that way they're easier to control, but thats what Christianity was created for in the first place.

HoldemDB9

Nothing wrong with teaching children about God and religion, but there is something wrong with claiming absolute truth or lying to them in order to try and make them believe what you believe. It is also wrong to call a child a Christian or a Muslim - Richard Dawkins calls it child abuse, I agree.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I was raised a Christian, but I turned out okay! :)

Religious beliefs should be a part of a child's upbringing, yet the parents should be opened minded enough to let the child choose their own path.

jakedavid91

That's actually an excellent question. If I should have children someday, I plan to give them a broad overview of beliefs, but also state quite clearly what I believe. However, their spiritual development will almost undoubtedly be different from mine, and I would hope that I would respect whatever they choose to believe, so long as they act with compassion and respect towards others.

So no, I don't find the concept of teaching children the concept of God to be too troubling. What I do find problematic is where this can lead, when children are taught sanctimony and judgment through their religions rather than compassion and understanding.

That is actualy the way i was brought up, and i must thank my parents for it :p But there are still many parents who simply force religion on their children. This is something that inevitably can not be changed, but i would like to see more education and information given at secondry school level on the subject. I was lucky enough to attend a school which did this and i had an amazing r.e teacher :D

also why do you think your childrens faith will differ to yours?

Welcome :) I'm not sure where else you'd post this, here seems an appropriate place :p

I have a problem with children who are indoctrinated at a young age. Their minds absorb everything they hear, hence why children usually have a dirty vocabulary before anything else :rolleyes:
From my experience, people who have devoted religious parents usually struggle at a school not designed to cater for their faith. I went to a public school as far as my second last year these kids who i'd known since my 5th year at school were terrible at reasoning and rationalizing in maths and science. There might be reasons outside religion but who knows.

I don't like the idea of teaching a kid religion as truth at a young age. Sure that way they're easier to control, but thats what Christianity was created for in the first place.

Thankyou :) Haha very true, this is exactly the problem at hand; why seperate? in theory we should live in a secular state but in practise it is very different.. Keeping faiths within their own faiths will surely just enforce them?

This is true in theory aswell, but its the minds of the parents and their choice, and if Christianity was not taught as a "truth" surely nobody would be baptised, and correct me if im wrong but within Christianity this is the "gate" to heaven? removing original sin n all that.

J Bryson

That is actualy the way i was brought up, and i must thank my parents for it :p But there are still many parents who simply force religion on their children. This is something that inevitably can not be changed, but i would like to see more education and information given at secondry school level on the subject. I was lucky enough to attend a school which did this and i had an amazing r.e teacher :D

also why do you think your childrens faith will differ to yours?

I would like to see more information given. However, it is vital in public schools to present religious information in as secular a manner as possible. Not in a manner designed to mock or disprove, but rather in a "This is what these people believe, this is what these other people believe." manner.

In response to your question: My faith encompasses as many different ways of understanding God as it has members. Add to that the possibility that my child may not choose to stay with the UU church, again add the perspective that no two who believe do so in exactly the same way...and there you have it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Kids are going to learn what their parents believe whether they are actively taught it or not.
Parents have the right to raise their children as they see fit (outside of any abuse, that is). They do not need the state or the world of social workers telling them how to raise their offspring. Strangely enough, I just watched an episode of Star Trek TNG dealing with the raising of young-Offspring- the episode in which Data makes his daughter Lal and how Starfleet was ready to jump in and tell him he was doing it all wrong. I don't see how parents who have faith can avoid their children learning their faith. When a child reaches a certain age, he or she will question everything anyway- kids are raised not programmed like a computer.

DarkMaster24

Evangelicals raise their children to believ in god, often threatening them with abhorrent concequences should they ever loose their faith. To answer your question; I think it all depends on how they present the concept of god. If they do it in a harsh way and threaten them with something as awful as going to hell if they loose faith, then yes, it is immoral. But if they just raise them to believe what they do in a benign way I am ok with that. Like I said, it just depends on how it's done.

Personally, I'd inform my child of both sides of the debate, in an objective manner and let them pick what they want to believe.

DarkMaster24

No, sorry that was a generalization. But the extreemists do. I don't have a problem with Evangelicals, I think they can do some great things for people, but when they get extreem, they can do ugly things, like invoking the idea of hell on inocent children. I think extreemists on every side are bad though (ie Islam, Christian, Atheist, ect).

DarkMaster24

Kids are going to learn what their parents believe whether they are actively taught it or not.
Parents have the right to raise their children as they see fit (outside of any abuse, that is). They do not need the state or the world of social workers telling them how to raise their offspring. Strangely enough, I just watched an episode of Star Trek TNG dealing with the raising of young-Offspring- the episode in which Data makes his daughter Lal and how Starfleet was ready to jump in and tell him he was doing it all wrong. I don't see how parents who have faith can avoid their children learning their faith. When a child reaches a certain age, he or she will question everything anyway- kids are raised not programmed like a computer.

I agree with you on the counts that children will pick up on their parents beliefs either way, and that ot's acceptable, unless their being abused. I also agree that it's inevitable that children will learn, eventually. And I also think parents have a responsibility of being honest to their children, when questioned, allthough I think it must be with in reason.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend jakedavid91,

children and religion

Personally would not speak on such subjects to children unless they ask specifically.
Rather allow them to discover and find out for themselves what TRUTH is.

Love & rgds

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
My parents both believe in god. I think most kids (when they are old enough) will make up their own minds eventually no matter what their parents teach them. Or maybe not... I know my sisters and I are all atheists, while neither of our parents are. I guess it depends on the person though. I don't think you should force religion on children in a crazy sort of way, but if you believe god is real, I'm sure you'd mention it to your kids.

jakedavid91

A child will question everything, but if taught religion as a truth at an early age it is something that will be in the end,(in most cases) what they "believe" it can also be questioned whether it is faith, or just an concept which has been put into their minds.

Say we were brought up with no concept of religion, or god till the age of 18, and then introduced to it; what would happen?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
You are going to influence your children no matter what... if you don't talk to them about religion, that is influencing them... if you tell them one is the truth, influencing, if you tell none are the truth, influence...

If/when I have children, I am going to influence them in the direction of my faith ;) They will grow up, and eventually make their own decisions, and I will repsect that...

J Bryson

You are going to influence your children no matter what... if you don't talk to them about religion, that is influencing them... if you tell them one is the truth, influencing, if you tell none are the truth, influence...

If/when I have children, I am going to influence them in the direction of my faith ;) They will grow up, and eventually make their own decisions, and I will repsect that...

Exactly. That's the best possible thing that you can do with your children...try to raise them with the values that you find workable, and respect whatever decisions they end up making.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Is it morally wrong to promote your children to believe in Santa Claus? The Easter Bunny? UFO's? Ghosts?

It depends on whether the belief results in some sort of negative affect on your child. Most people don't end up worse because they were taught religious beliefs, and, by nature, most people have a strong belief-need built in, so for the most part, I have no problem with it.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Is it morally wrong to promote your children to believe in Santa Claus? The Easter Bunny? UFO's? Ghosts?

It depends on whether the belief results in some sort of negative affect on your child. Most people don't end up worse because they were taught religious beliefs, and, by nature, most people have a strong belief-need built in, so for the most part, I have no problem with it.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again:

If I had children, I would NOT lie to them about Santa Claus, because it will only make them sad when they figure out you've been lying to them. Maybe some children aren't like I was, but I was really sad when Santa was revealed as a lie.

I don't think you should ever decieve your children on purpose, unless you are just joking with them.

Once we were babysitting my cousin's baby, and we told him there were monkeys in our trees (there weren't really though) but when we told him, he would pretend to see them, and I think he might have really thought they were there... but it wasn't a long drawn out lie. We didn't tell him, "Be good, or the monkeys will all die." or "be good, or the monkeys will eat you!" for six years. It was just a one-time joke, not threatening in the least.

If you truthfully believe in Santa, go ahead and tell them he exists, but don't create such a massive lie if you don't even believe it.

I also don't like the threatening sort of religion. Religion in general isn't bad. "God created you, and you get to go to heaven when you die" sounds pretty nice, but "Be good, or you're going to hell! Pray every night before you go to bed, or your soul will be burned for eternity!" and "Be good, or Santa will not bring you anything!" (not to compare god with santa...) Those sound really mean, and I don't think you should teach religion to your children just to make them be good.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Say we were brought up with no concept of religion, or god till the age of 18, and then introduced to it; what would happen?
That is an interesting question. But unless a child is raised in a box they will be introduced to all sorts of ideas, religion among them. Even if a parents decides to keep any religious talk from their children, the children will still have school, teachers, peers, friends, relatives, enemies and so on to talk about many different ideas.
And although I was raised by a woman who was a professed atheist, I still heard other people talk about faith, including on television.