• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

children and religion

Personally, I'd inform my child of both sides of the debate, in an objective manner and let them pick what they want to believe.

There are a lot more than 2 sides to this debate... poisoning children's mind with religion should be against the law. As I said in a similar thread yesterday, many,many people chose to move away from religion as they mature and get out in the real world. But the everlasting effects from a childhood of brainwashing...in particular the vile threats from a lot of religions of eternal punishment has lasting affects through out their life.
They carry guilt, sorrow at disappointing their parents, anxiety, shame. It is criminal that a person should have to go through life with all of these monkeys on their back. You should wait until they are 18 to expose them to it, if your faith is so right and true it will resonate with them no matter what age they are exposed to it.
You may say that they are your children and you can raise them however you like, but they are individuals first, and you have absolutely no right laying foundations that may affect them...in a negative way.. long after they are children...
I have first hand knowledge of damage this has done...it is immoral..

Inky

I have always wondered whether it is moraly right to teach children the concept of a god, as at such a young age most children are bound to believe what their parents tell them. So as these believers begin to age it grows with them, and some say this is faith; but can it not be said that it is just a preset concept planted into their minds during child development?

I'm up in the air on this when it comes to the more unpleasant details of some religions. Children have overactive imaginations and tend to believe whatever adults tell them, so it seems cruel to fill their heads with ideas about horrible things that could happen to them and all their friends and relatives after they die. It would be sort of like telling them there is a monster in their closet that'll eat them in the night if they aren't good. But then, if the adult has a personal belief that there is a monster in the closet, does that change the picture?

I think it's okay to share your (and hopefully others'!) religion with your children, but keep the scary parts until they're old enough to critically analyze what you say, instead of absorbing it passively.

I think it's okay to share your (and hopefully others'!) religion with your children, but keep the scary parts until they're old enough to critically analyze what you say, instead of absorbing it passively.

That's just another way of pre-conditioning them to accept and believe the horror of eternal hellfire etc. ...and that god exists...there's nothing impartial about it.

The general feeling by the religious is that you NEED a strict philosophy or you'll turn into an animal...do people need threats of eternal damnation to behave themselves? Don't you trust yourselves?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
I have always wondered whether it is moraly right to teach children the concept of a god, as at such a young age most children are bound to believe what their parents tell them. So as these believers begin to age it grows with them, and some say this is faith; but can it not be said that it is just a preset concept planted into their minds during child development?

I would say it's not only out of morality but it is my duty to teach my children the concept of God. It's my duty to let them know about their Creator, the source of life. Wouldn't be a shame not to let them about the One who brought them to this life? Wouldn't be a shame not to know about the One who provides for them, sustains them, preserves them... I would be accountable before my God if I don't do that. It is out of love for them that I must teach them about their Creator. It is out of love for them and out of paternal duty that they must know about the objective of being here on this earth, the objective of existence.
I will not last for my children forever, so I must let them know about the One who lasts for them for eternity, the One who will never neglect them, the One to whom I will entrust my children to Him. I will entrust them to the One who created them.

Peace

Hey, new to the forums and don't worry im not some arsehole who is going to bash religion. In fact i have taken A level theology and philosophy!

sorry if this is in the wrong section by the way.

peace x

Too bad you and the other people who post here don't realize that by 10-12 you've already largely developed your social patterns and behaviors before they are finally crystallized by your 20th year...by 30 you're so ingrained in your patterns your political views doubtfully will change. This is why Christianity is amazing; because of what is called "transformative powers"; and why Christians believe you have to be born-again to be a Christian...you cannot be born a Christian. But the argument that you should teach your children nothing (for if not God then what?) is just stupid; they will grow up to know nothing and be idiot morons like half of the US.

BruceDLimber

[P]oisoning children's mind with religion should be against the law.

Oh, REALLY?!

You've clearly never heard of the US Bill of Rights, specifically:

"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or barring the free exercise thereof!"

So sorry you never got the point.

Bruce

Imagist

Worshipper of Athe.
My instinct is to protect my children. Sadly people get sick and die in this life, sometimes adults can deal with that, sometimes they cannot. I do not believe my children have the tools to deal with this aspect of life yet. God is at the very least a comfort blanket for children. I hope to provide my children with the ability to think critically as adults, but as children I intend protecting them and facilitating as happy a childhood for them as I can manage. Even as an atheist this was my view.
I have seen the relief in my children's faces when I told them that people close to them had gone to heaven where they'd be happy and we'd all meet again. They'll have time enough to doubt as adults without my giving them the gift of existential angst in their early or middle childhood.

And what about when they reach puberty and start looking at the opposite (or the same) sex? Now they feel guilty for their natural desires.

Or what about when they do something wrong? Everyone makes mistakes; holding the fear of eternal suffering over a child's head is simply cruel.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
And what about when they reach puberty and start looking at the opposite (or the same) sex? Now they feel guilty for their natural desires.

Or what about when they do something wrong? Everyone makes mistakes; holding the fear of eternal suffering over a child's head is simply cruel.

You're attributing things to me that I don't believe.
Guilt has no place in my beliefs nor has eternal suffering. You must be thinking of somebody else :)

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I would say it's not only out of morality but it is my duty to teach my children the concept of God. It's my duty to let them know about their Creator, the source of life. Wouldn't be a shame not to let them about the One who brought them to this life? Wouldn't be a shame not to know about the One who provides for them, sustains them, preserves them... I would be accountable before my God if I don't do that. It is out of love for them that I must teach them about their Creator. It is out of love for them and out of paternal duty that they must know about the objective of being here on this earth, the objective of existence.
I will not last for my children forever, so I must let them know about the One who lasts for them for eternity, the One who will never neglect them, the One to whom I will entrust my children to Him. I will entrust them to the One who created them.

Peace

Im sorry but i think many would disagree there. I think the reason this thread is a valid issue is because more and more we question our origin, and thus maybe it seems wrong to teach creation to our children when the fact of the matter is no evidence supports it. Its like me teaching my child that a disney fairytale is in fact true and a frog will turn into a prince if kissed.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
As a non-theist father of 2 boys 8 and 3.

I believe it necessary to teach them religion so that they can learn from its mistakes.

I read them story's I like from the Bible.
They and I go to church every week. (Only place I can sing in public)
(Also I'm a lecture. I really like the stories of the New Testament)
The Oldest boy is in Religious Study to receive all the sacrements. (We discuss how my beliefs differ but he has to finish and make up his own mind)

My goal is children that think for themselves. I am not always right and can't be there for them all the time. I was brought up strictly religious to the point I thought of entering it yet I didn't and I learned a lot about man in the process. It won't hurt them.

J Bryson

As a non-theist father of 2 boys 8 and 3.

I believe it necessary to teach them religion so that they can learn from its mistakes.

I read them story's I like from the Bible.
They and I go to church every week. (Only place I can sing in public)
(Also I'm a lecture. I really like the stories of the New Testament)
The Oldest boy is in Religious Study to receive all the sacrements. (We discuss how my beliefs differ but he has to finish and make up his own mind)

My goal is children that think for themselves. I am not always right and can't be there for them all the time. I was brought up strictly religious to the point I thought of entering it yet I didn't and I learned a lot about man in the process. It won't hurt them.

That's interesting. My mother was Agnostic, but sent my sisters to a local Episcopalian church with the idea that it would give them a moral structure. I wasn't fond of the idea, but I had no say in the matter, so off they went. Looking at them nowadays, I can't say if they've turned out more or less moral than they would have otherwise.

May I ask what church they go to, or is that too personal a question?

Smoke

Done here.
I have always wondered whether it is moraly right to teach children the concept of a god
I think it would be hard to argue that it's morally wrong to teach children about god, unless you also say it's morally wrong to believe in god oneself. I don't believe in god, but if I did I think I'd feel much as Peace feels about it:

For a person who really believes in god, it would seem bizarre and cruel to keep one's children in ignorance of that god.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Although it isn't always true, most of the theists I have known never believed that God looks at us with a whip in His hand ready to punish every desire and mistake. (whip being used as an analogy here).

J Bryson

Although it isn't always true, most of the theists I have known never believed that God looks at us with a whip in His hand ready to punish every desire and mistake. (whip being used as an analogy here).

True. However, as I've said many times over, the problem is not God. The problem is God's marketing department (present company excluded).

Luminous

non-existential luminary
i guess it all depends on what religion you are and all. if one is very strict and wants their children to follow their religion, then one should obviously mold them since they are able to understand words. if you dont really care, i guess you can just let them make up their own way to worship God, or you can just let them be atheist.

i recommend Catholicism. no offense.:yes:
I recommend teaching them everything and reminding them that humanity is agnostic.