• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing between a Nice person, a Theist and an Atheist.

I wager that the OP is suggesting that niceness is what really matters. I find other equally necessary qualities to exist as well.
Okay. Perhaps I'm nit-picking, but it seems to me, that disagreeing with the implications or significance of a hypothetical question, is separate from answering the hypothetical question. I think in this situation, it would be better to first accept the rules stipulated by the hypothetical and answer the question honestly; then, we can discuss what are the implications, if any.

You could even answer "Each choice is equal, so I would pick at random" but you should answer. I.M.O. there is too much dodging of hypothetical questions on RF, does anyone else agree with me on this?

Man of Faith

I try not to prejudge people, everyone lives like a theist anyway. There are some atheists that don't drink or curse in public I'm sure (maybe) and there are some theists that didn't take a bath last night.

On a long trip I would have time to proselytize the atheist and show them the error of their ways.
I would not be unequally yoked with my life partner.
In prison? Doesn't matter as long as I am bigger than them. :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I.M.O. there is too much dodging of hypothetical questions on RF, does anyone else agree with me on this?
I only dodge hypothetical questions when I think they're being used to lay some sort of trap for me. ;)

On a long trip I would have time to proselytize the atheist and show them the error of their ways.
You don't consider this disrespectful to the atheist?

Or do you just not care about that?

Man of Faith

I only dodge hypothetical questions when I think they're being used to lay some sort of trap for me. ;)

You don't consider this disrespectful to the atheist?

Or do you just not care about that?

I don't think that asking someone what they think of Jesus is being disrespectful. It's just a question.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I don't think that asking someone what they think of Jesus is being disrespectful. It's just a question.

I agree. If the theist (in my case) was open to discussion, it would probably be more interesting to have the theist on my road trip.

Although, I don't get to talk to many atheists irl, so that would probably be fun too.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Yes, but proselytizing involves much more than merely asking what someone thinks of Jesus. When you say you would proselytize an atheist by attempting to show them the error of their ways, you are admitting or confessing to doing more than merely asking a question or two.

Man of Faith

I agree. If the theist (in my case) was open to discussion, it would probably be more interesting to have the theist on my road trip.

Although, I don't get to talk to many atheists irl, so that would probably be fun too.

You can't tell they are atheists because they act like theists. You have to ask.

Man of Faith

Yes, but proselytizing involves much more than merely asking what someone thinks of Jesus. When you say you would proselytize an atheist by attempting to show them the error of their ways, you are admitting or confessing to doing more than merely asking a question or two.

Well the atheist wouldn't necessarily know that is what I would be doing. ;)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Unfortunately, my default assumption is to assume a theist (who knows I'm an atheist) is proseltyzing to me when s/he talks about his/her beliefs.

Man of Faith

Unfortunately, my default assumption is to assume a theist (who knows I'm an atheist) is proseltyzing to me when s/he talks about his/her beliefs.

Not if you were having a conversation? You said that it was fine to ask what you thought about Jesus. Well your reply might go something like this "he was a good man, but just a man". Then you don't want me to reply because that would be proselytizing? What if the next thing that I said was “was he delusional”? Proselytizing yet?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So only you would know the disrespectful nature of your intent. Does that make it okay?

Not if you were having a conversation? You said that it was fine to ask what you thought about Jesus. Well your reply might go something like this "he was a good man, but just a man".
Heh... that wouldn't be the response you'd get from me, or from most of the atheists I know.

Then you don't want me to reply because that would be proselytizing? What if the next thing that I said was “was he delusional”? Proselytizing yet?
That depends on your intent.

Have you ever heard of the Socratic Method?

Man of Faith

So only you would know the disrespectful nature of your intent. Does that make it okay?

Heh... that wouldn't be the response you'd get from me, or from most of the atheists I know.

That depends on your intent.

Have you ever heard of the Socratic Method?

Wow you're a tough crowd. It would be a long trip with you for sure. You don't think that it is okay for a Christian to have a plan of action for proselytizing? Did Jesus tell the woman at the well he was proselytizing her or did he just have a conversation with her?

waitasec

Veteran Member
after giving this some thought
i would prefer an honest nice person...
not an honestly nice person. nice would entail a lukewarm person
no backbone no direction, i think of los angeles, all talk, shallow no depth.
that's no fun

waitasec

Veteran Member
Wow you're a tough crowd. It would be a long trip with you for sure. You don't think that it is okay for a Christian to have a plan of action for proselytizing? Did Jesus tell the woman at the well he was proselytizing her or did he just have a conversation with her?

you're so full of yourself it's actually funny
:biglaugh:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Not if you were having a conversation? You said that it was fine to ask what you thought about Jesus. Well your reply might go something like this "he was a good man, but just a man". Then you don't want me to reply because that would be proselytizing? What if the next thing that I said was “was he delusional”? Proselytizing yet?
Personally, I wouldn't mind the proselytizing. I would relish the challenge and enjoy the conversation. I was just saying that I'd know your motives, or at least assume what your motives were, in having this conversation with me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Wow you're a tough crowd. It would be a long trip with you for sure.
I don't know... maybe you'd be swayed by my thoughts on what sort of person Jesus really was. ;)

You don't think that it is okay for a Christian to have a plan of action for proselytizing?
Do what you want, but just realize that when you approach someone with the mindset that no matter what that person believes, how much they've considered their position, or how well-supported their beliefs are, you know that their current beliefs are so worthless that they should throw theirs away and adopt yours instead, this is fundamentally disrespectful to the other person.

Did Jesus tell the woman at the well he was proselytizing her or did he just have a conversation with her?
Neither. Even though he was obviously proselytizing, he never explicitly said "hey! I'm proselytizing!"