• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Eschatology Resources?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I don't really understand the details of Christian Eschatology......

There is a hole in my understanding of Christianity!

Pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib - I don't get it

And I'm not sure on what's supposed to happen once End Times begin

I cannot find a descent resource anywhere that can help me with this

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Brickjectivity

Brick Block
Staff member
Premium Member

You can categorize denominations by how this question is answered, so there are too many answers.

Pretribulation
Midtribulation
Posttribulation
Present Continuous
Continuous Historicist

"Historical eschatology appears in one of three distinct forms— messianism, millennialism, or apocalypticism." --https://www.britannica.com/topic/eschatology​

This page lists seven models of eschatology: Week 13 Continuous Historicist

But there are more. There are always more possible. You can have as many models as you like, because you can re-engineer your understanding of the gospels to support the model that you prefer. If you prefer to have a Jesus who flies down and alights on foot you interpret your gospels to support it. If you prefer that Jesus is returning in some other way you can interpret your gospels to support that. If you want Jesus to return 300 years from now, you simply interpret the scriptures in such a way that he does. If you want him to return in 1 year you can make that work, too. Do you want physical resurrection or spiritual only? Do you like your Jesus to have a fiery blazing hell? Should the evildoers be killed and the good guys resurrected?

That is eschatology. It is the production of these various models, and these models guide communities on how to read the rest of the NT and the bible, too. Almost always. That may not be the case with all communities, but the answer to your question is that you find the community which supports or is guided by a particular eschatology. They will have writings about it.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Contrary to some, there's no definitive proof one way or the other, so don't let not knowing to be a problem.

Francis of Assisi was tilling the garden, and one day he was asked what he would do if he just was told the Messiah had arrived, and he responded that he would continue to till the garden as he could always see the Messiah later.

IOW, please don't lose any sleep over this.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Some of these replies have been so offsetting and misleading, it's tragic.

Quester

It gets worse. The context of your approach shows one version of this "end times" picture. The added question simply is: Why are there other versions in other belief systems? Then too, why do people always believe THEIR version is the CORRECT version?

Ever wonder why the Aztec believed that this was the end of the fifth world? Then too, the Hopi said this was the end of the fourth world. It could be a cultural start glitch, but the idea is still there.

Other beliefs have other definitions, and the story goes on and on.

What's happening here is basically the approach of "hallucinating reality." In other words, people never look into ANYTHING, and because of this, all they have are ideas they make up in their heads, and these made up / believed interpretations now become the answers. Basically this is the first part of the Dunning / Kruger Effect.

hallucinate (v.)
"to have illusions," 1650s, from Latin alucinatus (later hallucinatus), past participle of alucinari "wander (in the mind), dream; talk unreasonably, ramble in thought," probably from Greek alyein, Attic halyein "wander in mind, be at a loss, be beside oneself (with grief, joy, perplexity), be distraught," also "wander about," which probably is related to alaomai "wander about" [Barnhart, Klein]. The Latin ending probably was influenced by vaticinari "to prophecy," also "to rave." Older in English in a rare and now obsolete transitive sense "deceive" (c. 1600); occasionally used 19c. in transitive sense "to cause hallucination."

The question isn't "does this end times story exist?" It's more like, is this a lost / confused historical story that connects with a repetitive science based event, that returns and kicks our butt over the millennia?

Quester

The question isn't "does this end times story exist?" It's more like, is this a lost / confused historical story that connects with a repetitive science based event, that returns and kicks our butt over the millennia?
I guess no one has anything to say. Here's a repetitive event for you - a 67,000 year overlook into what was called a Galactic Superwave. Click the individual pics to enlarge.
A 67,000 Year History of Solar Terrestrial Cosmic Events – The Sphinx Stargate

InChrist

Free4ever

These are my suggestions…