• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Only: View on extraterrestrials

yayoi

Does it state anywhere in the bible that we are the only intelligent life that exists? What if it's found that there are numerous "earths" floating around in the universe? Would that fact contradict your beliefs? I'm just curious.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I'm open to the possibility. I do not propose that "We Are Alone" as any article of the faith but rather to point out that those who insist "We Are Not Alone" do hold it as an article of faith...because there is nothing else to go on. Their arguments are purely aesthetic, beginning with phrases like "Surely, you don’t believe" or "How can a universe this big." I think that is more telling.

Either way, it wouldn't change the plan of salvation.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Does it state anywhere in the bible that we are the only intelligent life that exists? What if it's found that there are numerous "earths" floating around in the universe? Would that fact contradict your beliefs? I'm just curious.

It would mess up our religion if there were not numerous other earths floating around the universe.

rojse

RF Addict
I believe that the Church has some basic policies about extraterrestial contact, such as whether they have souls or not, salvation and so forth.

I have looked on the internet, and I have not found the written policies themselves.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The statistical likely hood is, that one day we will have to face up to the existence of extra terrestrials. They of course will have the same problem.
Religions that can not adapt or change in the face of this reality, will have serious problems.
I do not feel that Christianity has a major problem here, except for those that insist that we are made in God's image.
We may have to conclude that God unlike us does not have a fixed image. Or that the Bible is in error on this fact.

yayoi

The only "extraterrestials" that I believe in are angels and demons.

I'm assuming that you consider ET's to be beings that only exist in an otherwordly realm (my apologies if I'm wrong). Do you believe that God and Satan are ET's too?

yayoi

I'm open to the possibility. I do not propose that "We Are Alone" as any article of the faith but rather to point out that those who insist "We Are Not Alone" do hold it as an article of faith...because there is nothing else to go on. Their arguments are purely aesthetic, beginning with phrases like "Surely, you don’t believe" or "How can a universe this big." I think that is more telling.

Either way, it wouldn't change the plan of salvation.

Can't say I disagree that it's pronouncement of faith. As an agnostic, I don't mind admitting that I have faith that ET's are out there.

yayoi

Madhatter and Comprehend,

So Mormans believe there could be multiple earths. Interesting! I like that thoery.

yayoi

The statistical likely hood is, that one day we will have to face up to the existence of extra terrestrials. They of course will have the same problem.
Religions that can not adapt or change in the face of this reality, will have serious problems.
I do not feel that Christianity has a major problem here, except for those that insist that we are made in God's image.
We may have to conclude that God unlike us does not have a fixed image. Or that the Bible is in error on this fact.

I agree with you on that. I just wonder why people who insist we are made in God's image have an issue with ET's? Couldn't God have made ET's in his image too?

SoyLeche

meh...
The statistical likelyhood is that extra terrestrials probably exist. I'm not sure it's all that likely that we'd ever know about them though (many have probably existed and become extinct, others won't be at a point to be able to communicate until we are extinct, and those that may exist now are probably spread out over way too large an area for us to cross paths, as it were).

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member

Answer to question 1............ " In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you." John 14:2

The fact that there may well be other populated worlds has no effect on my religious faith.

joeboonda

Why not?

For the record, I'm quite sure that there are other planets full of sentient beings.

Oh, and the question is for anyone who doesn't think that there are aliens.
I just don't believe in aliens. I'd rather not share why, no time or inclination today.