• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Only: View on extraterrestrials

Hope

Princesinha
what do you base that belief on?

Scripture. :D

I figure if aliens in outer space existed God would have informed us. I don't see any indication in Scripture that such beings exist. God so loved the "world"----not worlds, or universe----that He sent His only begotten Son to die for it.

SoyLeche

meh...
I figure if aliens in outer space existed God would have informed us.
Why?

I'm always somewhat ammused by what people will believe because "if it weren't so God surely would have told us in the Bible". Like they have any idea what God "would" have done.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Definitely other worlds with other life on them, and for God's own purpose did he create them, He doesn't tell us why there are other planets because it doesn't pertain to our existence as human beings. Why were are on this planet has no bearing on what other planets have what life.

Maybe our Heavenly Father likes experimenting? maybe he created life on other planets as part of "eternal progression" and learning or maybe he just likes having fun? I know I would....

Hope

Princesinha
I believe the whole UFO phenomenon going on today is purely demonic activity. In the Bible Satan is called the "prince of the power of the air." Makes perfect sense.

And for the record, I know people who saw a UFO land in their backyard, and they said it emanated "pure evil." So, being Christians, they began to pray fervently, commanding it to leave in the name of Jesus (kind of like casting out a demon), and it did. Sounds creepy and weird, sure, but I don't at all put it past Satan to use "extraterrestials" and alien spacecraft to deceive people.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Scripture. :D

I figure if aliens in outer space existed God would have informed us. I don't see any indication in Scripture that such beings exist. God so loved the "world"----not worlds, or universe----that He sent His only begotten Son to die for it.

then you aren't basing your belief on what is found in scripture, you are basing it on what is not found there.

Absense of proof is not proof of absense.

Gravity exists but God didn't bother informing us about that. Neptune exists but God didn't inform us about that. You don't think that nothing exists that God doesn't mention in the bible do you?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Shouldn't that require the opening poster saying "yes"?

I'm not sure how it all is supposed to work.
Usually, yes. I have sent him a PM, but since he is sorta of new to the forum I went ahead and moved it (especially considering this thread is growing fast). If he objects, I can always split the thread in two.

SoyLeche

meh...
Usually, yes. I have sent him a PM, but since he is sorta of new to the forum I went ahead and moved it (especially considering this thread is growing fast). If he objects, I can always split the thread in two.
Just curious.

You can delete these last few posts if you want.

Hope

Princesinha
Why?

I'm always somewhat ammused by what people will believe because "if it weren't so God surely would have told us in the Bible". Like they have any idea what God "would" have done.

Like you have any idea what God would've done either. ;)

Once you go outside of the Bible, it's mere speculation. I just think, in light of all that the Bible says (and I believe the Bible is truth), the chance that God created beings on other planets is highly unlikely. Because the major theme of the Bible is God's love for, and redemption of, mankind. Everything in the Bible centers on the relationship between God and man. And Revelation talks about a new heaven and a new earth, after the old ones are done away with, and in these descriptions I find no reference whatsoever to any other beings or planets. If such beings or planets existed, you would think God would make mention of them when He destroys and recreates everything, because they would be impacted too. So I think my conclusion is more valid, at least from a Christian standpoint. :p

SoyLeche

meh...
Where did I say that I do?
Once you go outside of the Bible, it's mere speculation. I just think, in light of all that the Bible says (and I believe the Bible is truth), the chance that God created beings on other planets is highly unlikely. Because the major theme of the Bible is God's love for, and redemption of, mankind. Everything in the Bible centers on the relationship between God and man. And Revelation talks about a new heaven and a new earth, after the old ones are done away with, and in these descriptions I find no reference whatsoever to any other beings or planets. If such beings or planets existed, you would think God would make mention of them when He destroys and recreates everything, because they would be impacted too. So I think my conclusion is more valid, at least from a Christian standpoint. :p
Again - why would he. The Bible isn't for any other world - why would he bring it up?

What makes you think that the "new heaven and new earth" apply to the entire universe?

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

why would you think that those on other planets could not be humans just like we are. We don't think they would be some strange people from star trek, they are God's children just like we are.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
There are plenty of things the Bible doesn't address, nor mention.

This is probably one of those changes that I really struggled with when coming into the Catholic Church. Let me explain.

As a Protestant I was taught that whatever isn't clear or not mentioned in Scripture is to be avoided or even rejected. For Catholics it's the opposite. Whatever is not clearly defined or not mentioned is open to disagreement and exploration.

I'm fully aware that we must test all things in relation to the Scriptures, but you'd search in vain if you could find a verse that says there is no aliens. The fact that God doesn't mention it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but simply that He didn't feel the need to tell us.

rojse

RF Addict
I believe the whole UFO phenomenon going on today is purely demonic activity. In the Bible Satan is called the "prince of the power of the air." Makes perfect sense.

And for the record, I know people who saw a UFO land in their backyard, and they said it emanated "pure evil." So, being Christians, they began to pray fervently, commanding it to leave in the name of Jesus (kind of like casting out a demon), and it did. Sounds creepy and weird, sure, but I don't at all put it past Satan to use "extraterrestials" and alien spacecraft to deceive people.

Does this mean that any alien that we meet would be demonic, have no soul and so forth?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
why would you think that those on other planets could not be humans just like we are. We don't think they would be some strange people from star trek, they are God's children just like we are.

It is intersting to note that most UFO/Alien contacts during the 40's-50's were with aliens that looked exactly like humans.

For me I believe that there are children of our heavenly Father that look just like us that live on millions of other planets in the universe.

As far as "Greys" are concerned, I think the poster in Mulder's Office from X-files sums it up:

I Want to Believe.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The statistical likelyhood is that extra terrestrials probably exist. I'm not sure it's all that likely that we'd ever know about them though (many have probably existed and become extinct, others won't be at a point to be able to communicate until we are extinct, and those that may exist now are probably spread out over way too large an area for us to cross paths, as it were).

That is all probably true, unless there is a major breakthrough with travelling in space and time.