• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian turned Atheist here.

Skeptisch

Faith is standing steadfast in believing that GOD is and that if you are a creation, there is a creator.
Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.
-- Richard Dawkins, Untitled Lecture, Edinburgh Science Festival (1992)

Faith is powerful enough to immunize people against all appeals to pity, to forgiveness, to decent human feelings. It even immunizes them against fear, if they honestly believe that a martyr's death will send them straight to heaven.
-- Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Welcome to RF - looking forward to getting to know you better! By the way, I live in Texas too, though I'm not a native. I love it!

Danmac

I'm a twenty-eight year old man from Texas. I use to be a very, VERY devout Christian. I loved Jesus and I loved my Christian life. However, I became an Atheist in the summer of 2007. It didn't happen overnight. It took about twelve years. I've kinda gone from Atheist to Agnostic to Atheist over the years, and I have recently taken a slight interest in Satanism, and I hope to learn more about it here.

This is a favorite topic of mine. I enjoy debates and deep discussions about it, and I look forward to chatting with all of you.

You may have had a zealous religious experience, but you were never a "born again" Christian. It isn't possible to deny the Spirit if it has taken up residence in your body. I didn't say that, the bible did.

1st John 2:19 They went out from us but they were not of us; if they had been of us they would still be with us: but they went out from us so that it might be made clear that they were not of us.

You were religious turned atheist. Quite different, and very understandable from my perspective.

waitasec

Veteran Member
You may have had a zealous religious experience, but you were never a "born again" Christian. It isn't possible to deny the Spirit if it has taken up residence in your body. I didn't say that, the bible did.

1st John 2:19 They went out from us but they were not of us; if they had been of us they would still be with us: but they went out from us so that it might be made clear that they were not of us.

You were religious turned atheist. Quite different, and very understandable from my perspective.

in verse 3
it says
"We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person."

my question to you is, who is he referring to, jesus or paul?

Danmac

in verse 3
it says
"We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person."

my question to you is, who is he referring to, jesus or paul?

He is referring to all.

Joh 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

1Jo 3:14 ¶ We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
1Jo 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

The question is, what is the definition of love. Jesus defines it in the story of the good Samaritan. Here is a good definition.

Matt 5: 43 "You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy."
44 "But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you.
45 "Then you will become sons of your heavenly Father; for he makes the sun to rise upon sinners as well as saints, and sends rain upon the unjust and the just alike.
46 "For if you love only those who love you, what reward have you?
47 "Even mobsters do that, do they not? And if you show courtesy to your brother only, what are you doing more than bigots? Even the cruelest of men love their own do they not?
48 "You then must be without prejudice, as your heavenly Father is."

Danmac

ppɐʇɹnɯ;2329851 said:
A Christian is someone who reads the bible. An ex-Christian is someone who understands the bible :D

an theist is someone who does neither.

Danmac

ppɐʇɹnɯ;2332479 said:
And faith consists of circular reasoning:

You have faith because you believe in the bible, and you believe in the bible because you have faith.

I have faith, because i tested God in times of crisis and He came through for me. Sure you could call it coincidence, but there is a point when coincidence becomes mathematically impossible.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I have faith, because i tested God in times of crisis and He came through for me. Sure you could call it coincidence, but there is a point when coincidence becomes mathematically impossible.

math was created with in our capacity to reason...