• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity and Cannablism

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
I am wondering how you, the people of RF, feel about this.

During communion, a Christian (not all denominations do, I realise this) will consume bread and wine which symbolises the flesh and blood of Christ.
Symbolically, this makes Christians canabals since they are consuming the flesh and blood of Christ.

How is eating your savior supposed to make you closer? You are sybolically making his flesh and blood apart of yours, but its nothing more than flesh and blood, thus making it ineffective at influencing the soul.

Booko

Deviled Hen

During communion, a Christian (not all denominations do, I realise this) will consume bread and wine which symbolises the flesh and blood of Christ.
Symbolically, this makes Christians canabals since they are consuming the flesh and blood of Christ.

Um, you should realize that to many (if not most) Christians, the Eucharist is more than just symbolic.

I being raised a good Calvinist and not being a Baha'i, view it as symbolic, but that's beside the point.

How is eating your savior supposed to make you closer? You are sybolically making his flesh and blood apart of yours, but its nothing more than flesh and blood, thus making it ineffective at influencing the soul.

"Do this in remembrance of Me."

When your friend is far away from you, and you see a photo, do you remember him? If you remember him, might you remember something he said? Maybe some good advice?

Same diff.

Also, Christians should do it simply because...Jesus whom they love asked them to.

Hope this helps.

athanasius

Hey this was an old charge brought up way back in the early second century by the Various Pagans such as the Romans. Aha! This Charge already has been dealt with a long time ago. See the writings of St Justin Martyr(Circa 2nd century) Oh and by the way we see it as the whole Christ there fore its not just his mere flesh and blood but his Body and Blood Soul and Divinity that we recieve.

JayHawes

The Lord's Supper or the Eucharist is not the literal eating of flesh and blood (although some Christians may say so) . Jesus said to do eat the Supper in remembrance of him. The Lord's Supper is symbolic of his flesh and his blood. The bread represents his body, and the wine/juice represents his blood-that was shed for us. Eating it does not make us canabals, we are not eating real flesh.

We dont actually eat our savior (literally) , but we eat the bread and drink the cup in remebrance of what he has done. Jesus told the disciples that his words (concerning eating his flesh and drinking his blood was spiritual not literal (John 6:52,63). We do this as an ordinance of obidience. It shows that we are willing to follow his commandments, it's all about obidience.

God has always required blood for the forgiveness of sin. The Jews for thousands of years gave birds, sheep, goats, and doves and other animals as sacrifices for God, to cover up their sins. Jesus, a man and God in the flesh. Gave sinless blood, blameless blood, blood that would be for eternity as forgiveness for mankind. Through Jesus' blood, which flowed fom his broken crucified body, we, being gentiles, are able to come into the presence of the Jehovah God, who once, was only known by the Jews. Jesus became the light, and we Christians perform the Lord's Supper to remember this occasoion.

athanasius

We Catholics do believe that we do receive Jesus real Body and Blood Soul and Divinity under the appearances of bread and wine at Mass. It differs from cannibalism though because its a miracle and its under the form of bread and wine. We do not digest Christ he simply comes into us in a profound and real spiritual way through communion although it is his real flesh and blood that we eat.

for a understanding of the Eucharist from aCatholic and historical and miraculous persepctive go here and read my paper on it:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53505

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Jesus took the place of the unblemished sacrificial lamb. During the first passover, the Israelites ate the lamb they sacrificed and placed its blood on their doorstop. Jesus is in place of the lamb, so we eat the bread in place of the lamb. The wine we drink is in place of the blood of the lamb that was placed on the door. I read this simile way back in the 80s from the late Zola Levitt, who was a messianic Jew.

Caina

Apostate Heretic

Ritual practice akin to witchcraft;)

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Jer 25:14-18
(14) For many nations and great kings shall serve themselves of them also: and I will recompense them according to their deeds, and according to the works of their own hands.
(15) For thus saith the LORD God of Israel unto me; Take the wine cup of this fury at my hand, and cause all the nations, to whom I send thee, to drink it.
(16) And they shall drink, and be moved, and be mad, because of the sword that I will send among them.
(17) Then took I the cup at the LORD'S hand, and made all the nations to drink, unto whom the LORD had sent me:
(18)To wit, Jerusalem, and the cities of Judah, and the kings thereof, and the princes thereof, to make them a desolation, an astonishment, an hissing, and a curse; as it is this day;

Gen 9:3-6
(3) Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
(4) But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
(5) And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man.
(6) Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

Mar 9:41
(41) For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward....
Last supper says "I ask you not to drink of the vine"....

Pharisees close up the way....:rainbow1:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Jesus took the place of the unblemished sacrificial lamb. During the first passover, the Israelites ate the lamb they sacrificed and placed its blood on their doorstop. Jesus is in place of the lamb, so we eat the bread in place of the lamb. The wine we drink is in place of the blood of the lamb that was placed on the door. I read this simile way back in the 80s from the late Zola Levitt, who was a messianic Jew.

I do not think there are any Christians who go along with that view.
messianic Jews seem to have a peculiarly Jewish view point on Jesus and Christianity.
This may have become mainstream had not Paul carried the flag of Christianity to the world.
The Jewish base to Christianity virtually went nowhere.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Religions loves symbolism. They cannot exist without it.

You can.

x
Eze 4:15-17 :run:
(15) Then he said unto me, Lo, I have given thee cow's dung for man's dung, and thou shalt prepare thy bread therewith.
(16) Moreover he said unto me, Son of man, behold, I will break the staff of bread in Jerusalem: and they shall eat bread by weight, and with care; and they shall drink water by measure, and with astonishment:
(17) That they may want bread and Urine (water), and be astonied one with another, and consume away for their iniquity.
:rolleyes:

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
Who said anything about art and music? I'm talking about religion. In art and music, you are expressing creativity, but in religion, the creativity overshadows the message making it diluted and weak. Look at the thread about the modern church. It proves my point. x

JayHawes

:rolleyes:
There is an Art too eating human flesh?...

Music to gurgle the blood down?.......

Don't understand?.......:confused:

Alot of the bible is poetry, and allegoric, and firgurtive, especially the Old Testament. Dont take everything so literal.....as though the bible teaches canabilism, it teaches spiritual death, and the stripping of men of their money- this is referred to as being canabal in a figuritive way in the Bible.

JayHawes

Who said anything about art and music? I'm talking about religion. In art and music, you are expressing creativity, but in religion, the creativity overshadows the message making it diluted and weak. Look at the thread about the modern church. It proves my point. x

Sitting on the Computer doesn't allow you to see the modern Church. And let me clarify that what men see on TV is not a model for the true Church, but the true Church is made of of true Christians, not hypocrits whom ye may suppose are Christian.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I think everyone knows that this is just sybolic, but it does sound sort of wierd.

Actually, for the vast majority of Christians the Eucharist is anything but 'just symbolic'. We do believe that Christ is really present in the Eucharist. That does not make it cannibalism, however. We believe that Christ is really present, as a Mystery, in the bread and wine, not that the bread and wine literally and physically become human flesh and blood.

James