• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity without the Old Testament?

Dunemeister

I'm not sure about any modern ones. The Ebionites did, and if there are groups in continuity with them, they would probably continue to reject the OT. However, doing so is weird. For the Christian faith, it's like denying your mother.

Poisonshady313

Greetings,

Just cerious. Are there any sects within Christianity that flat out reject the Old Testament?

In my conversations with Christians, I have heard them suggest that the "Old Testament" is obsolete...

I don't know what sect that is... nor am I sure if that constitutes a flat out rejection. Since the NT goes on to (mis)quote the prophets of the OT, and claims as fulfilled prophecy many words throught the OT text (including Genesis, Psalms, etc)... it would be hard for them to ignore it.

After all... if they believe they have the new testament... they need it to be "new" relative to SOMETHING...

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I believe that both the OT and NT are necessary. I can't imagine religion without using both. ;)

Lucian

Theologian
I would say the modern Gnostics might shun away from many of the OT's passages, or just give a whole new meaning to them.
Gnosticism in modern times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure about any modern ones. The Ebionites did, and if there are groups in continuity with them, they would probably continue to reject the OT. However, doing so is weird. For the Christian faith, it's like denying your mother.

Don't you mean the Marcionists? The Ebionites didn't agree with most of the NT.

Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf
Interesting thread !

I did a Google search for "Christianity without the Old Testament", and found myself here. It looks like others have similar problems to mine.

My rpoblem is that I just cannot accept the "God" of the Old Testament, but I find the teaching of Jesus attarctive. Because Jesus himself read and taught from what we call the Old Testament, it looks like it is "de rigeur" for Christians, but every time I read the Old Testament, with its god who demands worship like the worst of human despots, changes his mind, demands animal sacrifice, orders genocide and the "First Holocaust" of the Canaanites (Men, women, children and even the animals of the whole population ..... that's a Holocaust at least equal to Hitler's !). And utterly condemns anyone who does not bow down and worship him. Sorry I cannot accept this Old Testament god. Someone else brought up the Gnostics, and I think, as far as the Old Testament is concerned, that the Gnostics were right who proposed that the Old Testament god was a deluded demigod (angel ?) who THOUGHT he was the Supreme Being, but was not, so his creation (This Earth) was flawed. Yaldebaoth is his name, and he is, as Jesus named him, The God Of This World !

I just can't accept this as the Supreme Being ! :no:

Sea Wolf

esmith

Veteran Member
No sure where you are getting you information from but, in my opinion you are totally wrong:
[FONT=&quot]Ebionites:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Born Jewish or converted to Judaism they kept the Jewish customs and strictly followed the Jewish Law. They say Jesus was born human from a sexual union of Joseph and Mary. Believed God adopted Jesus at his baptism and was the most righteous person on earth. As God's son Jesus had a specific task: to fulfill the Jewish expectations of a messiah by dying for the sins of the world. But this was a Jewish God and a Jewish son, you had to be Jewish to be right with God. Also they believed that people ate meat after it had been sacrificed to atone for their sins and since Jesus died for their sins they did not need to sacrifice anymore; so they became vegetarians. They also believed that Paul was a heretic. The Ebionites may have been one of the earliest Christian sects.

[/FONT]

dgbtex

The closest I can think of were the ancient Marcionites who believed that the god of the Old Testament (who they rejected) could not be the same as the god of the New Testament. They had a point. The Old Testament god was quite sexist (the wife shall cleave to the husband and obey him), prejudice (if there is a chosen people, it means that everybody else back then was unchosen), and a mass killer of children (the last plague on the Egyptians). Most atrocities by Christians in history have been based on Old Testament readings for a reason.

You have to wonder if the Jewish apostles just tried to maintain their Jewishness by keeping the Old Testament.

dsaly1969

There ARE other theories of Atonement besides the theory of penal or substitutionary atonement which predominates in the West AND requires the theological innovation of "Original Sin".

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Without original sin in OT, what would Jesus be saving people from?
Jesus saves us from separation from God, Who is Life, Love and Light, and He saves us from slavery to sin and death. This was the universal opinion of all Christians for over a thousand years before Anselm of Canterbury introduced his previously unheard-of teachings (substitutionary atonement), which John Calvin later took one logical step further (penal substitution).

roger1440

I do stuff
Greetings,

Just cerious. Are there any sects within Christianity that flat out reject the Old Testament?

What main stream Christianity rejects is Jewish interpretation of the Old Testament. Some church fathers even went so far as to say the Old Testament is Christian scripture not Jewish scripture. I believe some of the early church fathers were on the right track but went in the wrong direction. The canonical gospels were meant for Jews not Gentiles. The gospels used a literary form similar to Midrash. The intended audience (Jews) knew these stories were allegory. The Gentiles had interpreted these stories as literal fact. The battle lines were drawn.
You might find this interesting.
The Epistle of Barnabas
“The Epistle reinterprets many of the laws of the Torah. For example, the prohibition on eating pork is not to be taken literally, but rather forbids the people to live like swine, who supposedly grunt when hungry but are silent when full: likewise, the people are not to pray to God when they are in need but ignore him when they are satisfied. Similarly, the prohibition on eating rabbit means that the people are not to behave in a promiscuous manner, and the prohibition on eating weasel is actually to be interpreted as a prohibition of oral sex, based on the mistaken belief that weasels copulate via the mouth…”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistle_of_Barnabas

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
What main stream Christianity rejects is Jewish interpretation of the Old Testament. Some church fathers even went so far as to say the Old Testament is Christian scripture not Jewish scripture. I believe some of the early church fathers were on the right track but went in the wrong direction. The canonical gospels were meant for Jews not Gentiles. The gospels used a literary form similar to Midrash. The intended audience (Jews) knew these stories were allegory. The Gentiles had interpreted these stories as literal fact. The battle lines were drawn.
You might find this interesting.
The Epistle of Barnabas
“The Epistle reinterprets many of the laws of the Torah. For example, the prohibition on eating pork is not to be taken literally, but rather forbids the people to live like swine, who supposedly grunt when hungry but are silent when full: likewise, the people are not to pray to God when they are in need but ignore him when they are satisfied. Similarly, the prohibition on eating rabbit means that the people are not to behave in a promiscuous manner, and the prohibition on eating weasel is actually to be interpreted as a prohibition of oral sex, based on the mistaken belief that weasels copulate via the mouth…”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistle_of_Barnabas
Any proof that the Jewish Christians interpreted the Gospels as purely symbolic? This seems absurd, keeping in mind that the Apostles were preaching Jesus' Resurrection as an actual event.