• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Favourite Quotes?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you any favourite extra-Biblical quotes? From the Fathers, theologians, priests etc.

I have the ESV Church History Bible, which comes with Protestant commentary.

I like this by Matthew Henry:

'Tender consideration of those in subjection and a forwardness to make them easy will be the comfort and praise of all in authority in the church, in the state, and in families. Moderate counsels are generally wisest and best. Gentleness will do what violence will not do. Good words cost nothing but a little self-denial, and yet they purchase great things.'

Last edited:

Psalm23

There is a quote I like from the apocrypha

“Look at the generations of old, and see; did ever any trust in the Lord, and was confounded? or did any abide in his fear, and was forsaken? or whom did he ever despise, that called upon him?”
Ecclesiasticus 2:10

It was a quote I first heard John Bunyan quote in his book Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners. It was an encouragement to him and is an encouragement to me as well.

I also like this quote from John Bunyan in his book Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners...

"I am for going on, and venturing my eternal state with Christ, whether I have comfort here or no; if God doth not come in, thought I, I will leap off the ladder even blindfold into eternity, sink or swim, come heaven, come hell; Lord Jesus, if thou wilt catch me, do; if not, I will venture for thy name."

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
"If you can see God in everyone, you can never do harm to anyone." -- The Bhagavad Gita

" The ignorant man desires material things; the intelligent man desires enlightenment; but the wise man just loves and receives everything." -- The Vedanta

"Cannot we let people be themselves and enjoy life in their own way? You are trying to make that man another you. One's enough."-- from the ministry of Ralph Waldo Emerson

"None so good that he has no faults, none so wicked that he is worth naught."-- Elder Edda

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it ... Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders -- but after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.""-- Buddha

"He has created the heavens and the earth with truth; He makes the night cover day and makes day overtake the night, and He has made the sun and the moon subservient; each one runs on to an assigned term; now surely He is the Mighty, the Great Forgiver!"-- the Koran

"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n."-- Milton

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
"If you can see God in everyone, you can never do harm to anyone." -- The Bhagavad Gita

" The ignorant man desires material things; the intelligent man desires enlightenment; but the wise man just loves and receives everything." -- The Vedanta

"Cannot we let people be themselves and enjoy life in their own way? You are trying to make that man another you. One's enough."-- from the ministry of Ralph Waldo Emerson

"None so good that he has no faults, none so wicked that he is worth naught."-- Elder Edda

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it ... Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders -- but after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.""-- Buddha

"He has created the heavens and the earth with truth; He makes the night cover day and makes day overtake the night, and He has made the sun and the moon subservient; each one runs on to an assigned term; now surely He is the Mighty, the Great Forgiver!"-- the Koran

"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n."-- Milton
The quotes are specified only to be from Christian sources.

Tomef

Have you any favourite extra-Biblical quotes? From the Fathers, theologians, priests etc.

'Tender consideration of those in subjection and a forwardness to make them easy will be the comfort and praise of all in authority in the church, in the state, and in families. Moderate counsels are generally wisest and best. Gentleness will do what violence will not do. Good words cost nothing but a little self-denial, and yet they purchase great things.'
I like many of Nicolás Gómez Dávila’s aphorisms. He was a Catholic priest as well as a philosopher, better known for his short sayings than anything else. I’m not religious, but he often nailed something very pithy and probably quite universally valid, as with:

'The incoherent interlocutor is more irritating than the hostile one'

And

'Modern man does not love, but seeks refuge in love; does not hope, but seeks refuge in hope; does not believe, but seeks refuge in a dogma'

Psalm23

I heard that a pastor named Oliver Green said something on the lines of that at his funeral they better preach from the King James Version otherwise he may take over himself.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
The quotes are specified only to be from Christian sources.
I'm sorry. With it being on Interfaith Discussion I misunderstood it to be quotes Christians found to relate to outside of their usual sources. My apologies.

Psalm23

I like a quote from my lead pastor ,
" You heard it once."

It encourages me to be bold and be less afraid of rejection.

Sir Joseph

I have hundreds from America's Founding Fathers. Here are two of my favorites I've memorized.

Abraham Lincoln, March 30, 1863
Presidential Proclamation for a National Day of Humiliation, Fasting, and Prayer

"It is the duty of nations as well as of men to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon, and to recognize in sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history: that those nations only are blessed who's God is the LORD."

While it remains uncertain whether Lincoln was a Christian, the Congressional Founding Fathers who initiated this proclamation and dozens more like it certainly were, thus shaping America's Christian heritage.

And here's one more from an unquestionably bold, outspoken Christian: signer of the Declaration of Independence and U.S. Constitution, considered 1 of the top 3 Founding Fathers of America, and credited with establishing the nation's public school system.

Benjamin Rush, 1791 publication
A Defense of The Use of The Bible as a School Book

"The only means of establishing and perpetuating our republican forms of government is the universal education of our youth in the principles of Christianity by means of the Bible."