• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: If God Loves Us and Wants Us to Join Him in Heaven, Why Didn't He Put Us There?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I've never understood how god supposedly loves us and wants us to join him in his family in heaven, yet he put us on earth first with the capacity to fail, for which we could potentially loose the priviledge of joining him.

I doesn't make sense. Why didn't he just put us right in heaven from the beginning?

I have never seen this as a stated goal in the Bible. The angel announcing the coming of Jesus said that He would save His people and He himself said that He came to bring us life.

This is not how the Bible reads. Man was created for physical life and was called good.

Everyone has the ability to choose life or death. Why does it appear to you as a difficult thing for people to choose life?

The obvious answer as previously stated is that we were not created to reside there.

Muffled

Jesus in me
You're forcing me to think back to my catholic school days. Actually, I've pretty much laid it out in the question. I remember being told that we are all part of god's family, and we'll all join each other for eternity in heaven, so long as we don't upset god in such a way as to fail to merit resurrection into heaven. Apparently god loves us too, and wants us to succeed in joining him there. So I don't get it. Have I missed something? All I can cite to back my thoughts is the nicene creed, which states that one who states the creed believes in the literal resurrection of the body, and also in Heaven literally as well.

The Nicene Creed doesn't state that the physical resurrection is to Heaven. The reality is that the resurrection is to the Kingdom of God first in the sky (The confusion here is that heaven is used to mean sky instead of The Heaven which means Paradise) and then on earth. However what some Christians miss is that there are two resurrections.

This is contrary to Christian doctrine. Entrance into Heaven or The Kingdom of God is based on grace not works. The only question is whether life will be chosen. If it is God will do the rest by His grace.

Mr Cheese

Ah. So, then, God is a fool, just as someone who tries to get a fish to fly like a bird is a fool?

Or are you saying that the OP's assumption is wrong and God doesn't want all people to be with him in Heaven?

Who are "some"?

Whether you find it abhorrent or not, it seems like you're arguing for the Calvinist idea of "the Elect" using slightly different terms.

nope....

the problem is language really
is the world broken and needs fixing?
Is the world perfect?

Seemingly both are different questions
Seemingly the solutions are different

But then we are faced with language...
these questions and language are due to our limitations
they can be shown tobe different questions that have different answers

But they can also be shown to be the same question.
Of course discerning that is not straight forward... which is why such things are not adequatly shared in a forum such as this....

It is the elect that arent the elect...
Gnosis is for everyone...but only when they are ready

The road is for everyone and yet it is narrow at the same time

:)

Mr Cheese

What the hell are you talking about?

You're asking why the LDS position is more valid than the Catholic position? Since when did that become the topic of this thread?

Look, in case you didn't know, the Church of Jesus Christ is a restorationist denomination. We believe that there a universal apostasy took place took place shorthly after the deaths of Christ's Apostles and that the Catholic Church -- as old as it is -- was established at a period of time after which the doctrines Jesus Christ taught had been corrupted. We believe that for many centuries after His death, the doctrines that were taught as "Christian doctrines" were, in many instances, flawed. They either presented an incomplete picture or were misunderstood by the clergy of the time and, because revelation between Jesus Christ and His Church had ceased with the deaths of His Apostles, Christian theology existed in an impure and imperfect form for many centuries. We believe that Jesus Christ himself restored the doctrines He had originally taught to a prophet He chose, i.e. Joseph Smith. Obviously, if none of this happened, the LDS position is irrelevant. On the other hand, if it did happen, our perspective on this question posed in the OP is more valid than any other one that could be presented.

What you don't seem to get is that Msizer was not asking a question about the validity of Mormonism in his OP. He was asking for the opinions of all Christians on a given question. Whether you accept Mormonism or not is beside the point.

zadok alluded to the idea that catholicism was inherantly unable to answer the OP and the bible itself....

then why is LDS better?

ah because you say it is....I like the ideas you allude to above, yet I still find the wildly different doctrines, dogmas, bigotries and practises of the LDS church tend to detract from it, and essentially remove any understanding to the point of totally invalidating anything.....

Its a bit like Wiccans, their founder was a nudist..

thank you for the reply!

idea

Question Everything
Christians: If God Loves Us and Wants Us to Join Him in Heaven, Why Didn't He Put Us There?

God is cleaning up a mess He did not create. the word "create" in the Bible is a mistranslation. It should be translated as form/transform/organize/mold. Our spirit is eternal and uncreated. God did not put us anywhere - He found us, and took pity on us - we put ourselves where we are. God opens up new paths for us to follow, but we are the ones who walk down the path with our own two feet.

Some things must come from within. Love - can't force someone to love. Can't force someone to be happy, to find the joy that living for others brings. When we learn how to love, how to really live, how to have inner joy, we are in heaven.

from another post....

The Bible does not teach ex-Nihlo. God transforms what eternally exists, He did not create out of nothingingness...

5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. - Jeremiah1:5

Our birth was not our beginning… Part of us had no beginning.

8 But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand. - Isaiah64:8

The potter did not make the clay… but we can become His creation if we allow ourselves to be molded.

Hebrew Word Studies
Pronunciation: "Qa-NeH"
Meaning: To build a nest.
Comments: This child root is a nest builder, one who builds a nest such as a bird. Also God as in Bereshiyt (Genesis) 14.19; "God most high creator (qaneh) of sky and earth". The English word "create" is an abstract word and a foreign concept to the Hebrews. While we see God as one who makes something from nothing (create), the Hebrews saw God like a bird who goes about acquiring and gathering materials to build a nest (qen), the sky and earth. The Hebrews saw man as the children (eggs) that God built the nest for.

see also: God is not the Creator, claims academic - Telegraph

God is cleaning up a mess He did not make... and He is attempting to do so without taking away our free agency.

God wants us to join Him in heaven - to join Him in being loving, in living for others, in all the joy that He has - there are somethings He cannot give though, because there are some things that can only come from within.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Of course not all pain and suffering is a result of our disobeying God. Some of it has nothing to do with disobedience. Back to my original example (from my prior post), I had my kids vaccinated because I knew what would likely happen if they were not to get vaccinated. At six months old, they could not possibly understand how someone they trusted, someone who had always been loving towards them would -- for no apparent reason -- allow someone else (the doctor) to hurt them.
But if a painless option was available, you would've picked it, right?

In your vaccination example, the pain is a result of the fact that human beings are limited creatures; sometimes the best option available isn't the ideal option. You compromise on your desire to not see your kids in pain because of a greater good.

However, this doesn't apply to God, does it? To God, wouldn't the ideal option always be available? I don't see how the Christian God would ever have to compromise, which implies to me that any suffering that's part of "God's plan" must be there because it has merit in its own right, not because it's an undesired but unavoidable side effect of something good... since there's no such thing as "unavoidable" for an all-powerful God.

I'm sorry if I'm not making myself clear, but to me it is simply an obvious fact of life that we stand to benefit from many of the negative experiences we endure as part of mortality. Anybody who has conquered a truly big challenge will tell you that he has grown from the experience and is stronger in many ways than he was beforehand.
This much I agree with... somewhat. I personally value challenge (and actually go out of my way to take on certain challenges), but I don't think that every challenging situation is a good one. A bit of suffering may all right when it results in personal growth, but not all suffering is growth-enducing. I think that quite a bit of the negative experience that people encounter really is pointless and that the world would be a better place if it could be avoided.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I’m sorry but it is not fallacious to point out a fallacy. You gave an explanation of why you believe evil is not always evil and sought to defend that view with the argument that nobody is in a position to dispute it. But I gave cogent reasons why it may be disputed.
I'm sorry, I guess I'm just missing your point.

My argument isn’t that evil serves no purpose. Indeed, if the world is to be as we know it then evil is necessary for its continued existence. My argument is that worlds don’t have to be as this one, and that God could have created the universe devoid of evil, and it clearly contradicts his omnipotence to say otherwise. To insist that if only we could know God’s purposes we might be mistaken in what we thought was evil, is an appeal to ignorance once more. Evil and suffering exist, and our ignorance of God’s purposes doesn’t change that fact.
I just don't see how God's having chosen to create the universe differently than you think He should makes him omnipotent. I know that evil and suffering exist. What I don't understand is how you can insist that they serve no purpose.

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m speaking of individuals who you say are fortunate in gaining from their challenges and negative experiences, while the majority do not. You can’t make a general case for suffering being beneficial, when for some their suffering will be nothing but misery and wretchedness with no benefits to be had whatsoever.
Some people are better than others at turning their trials into a learning experience. Personally, I suck at it. Here's an example of someone who has suffered more than most of us can imagine and he has come out of the whole thing (actually, it's not over for him yet). This young man's mother is a friend of mine.

http://www.jasonslifeisgood.blogspot.com/

I'm sure you will have little interest in browsing through the blog of someone you have never met and probably have nothing in common with, but I'm going to just share one paragraph he wrote:

"I may seem obvious now, particularly that the surgery went so well, but I want it to be known that at no point during these last often physically trying years, would I ever consider "going back" to the person that I was prior to the "accident." I'm aware that there may be some naysayers, and a few that don't believe me, but let me reiterate again- I am more blessed today than I have been at any other point in my life. The perspective that I have been given couldn't have been learned any other way except through dealing with the heartache and adversity during the last almost 5 years. The many people, the love, the support, the guidance....none of it would be possible if I hadn't been through the physical and often emotional hell that I've been through. That is such an amazing blessing in itself, and one that I will cherish for ever and ever. And that is something that all of you have played a big part in."

Yes. Are you saying there are degrees of perfect? Is there an "absolute" perfect and a "less than absolute" perfect? Is there a "paradigm" of perfect and a "less than ultimate" perfect? Not that I'm aware of. Perfect either is or it isn't. Kind of like pregnant.

Good and bad behaviour! At first I thought that was a very unsatisfactory summary of a belief system that presumes to explain reality and our part in it. But on further consideration I think it makes complete sense, because that really is all there is to it. The entire thesis is founded upon the imperfection and unworthiness of humankind, for without those things the biblical God has no reason for being. The conclusion is that God is dependent upon humans.
LOL. Well that's a novel way of looking at it! Thanks for your input.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
zadok alluded to the idea that catholicism was inherantly unable to answer the OP and the bible itself....

then why is LDS better?
Again, I have no comment on zadok's post per se. To me, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is "better" because I am firmly convinced that an apostasy did take place fairly soon after Christ's Apostles died and that Catholicism does not teach the same doctrines Christ and His Apostles taught. I don't believe those doctrines are found in Protestantism either, since (1) Protestantism has so many core doctrines (e.g. the Trinity, etc.) in common with Catholicism and (2) I believe the authority Jesus gave to His Apostles is an essential component of His Church. The Protestants don't even claim to hold apostolic authority. So, either Christ's Church ceased to exist and continues not to exist or else it was restored. I happen to believe it was restored, and a big reason why I do is that so many of its teachings can be found in early non-biblical texts of the first and second centuries. Again, though, that's neither here nor there and I'm thinking that MSizer is probably getting just a little peeved that his thread has taken this turn.

ah because you say it is....I like the ideas you allude to above, yet I still find the wildly different doctrines, dogmas, bigotries and practises of the LDS church tend to detract from it, and essentially remove any understanding to the point of totally invalidating anything.....
As I've said before, your understanding of these "wildly different" doctrines is minimal at best. Everything you know about our doctrines you learned from a source exists for the sole purpose of parodying, exaggerating and misrepresenting them. If you don't understand something, and it's explained by someone who wants to make it look bad, that's likely you're going to understand it. In terms of the Church's bigotries, yes, we're guilty. We've messed up from time to time. And you know why? It's because we're human beings, no better or worse than any other human beings. As long as human beings are involved in religion, religion is going to be flawed. Finally, I don't know what "practices" you're talking about, but in the LDS Church, there is a clear line between doctrines and practices. Doctrines are eternal truths. They come from God and they don't change over time. Practices are the policies made by fallible human beings. They come and go. They don't determine what is true and what is not. Anyone who rejects true doctrines because he doesn't approve of certain practices is throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Its a bit like Wiccans, their founder was a nudist.
Uh... okay. What does that have to do with their beliefs? Oh, never mind... that would be OFF TOPIC!

thank you for the reply!
No problemo.

emiliano

NGerty,
Secondly, when backing up claims of a god and heaven and all other related things, is the Bible the only source for reference?
Yes! The Bible is Spiritual and God is Spirit, we believe in things not seen, we feel His presence in our lives, we have not doubts, we have a gift from God that allow us to.

cottage

I just don't see how God's having chosen to create the universe differently than you think He should makes him omnipotent. I know that evil and suffering exist. What I don't understand is how you can insist that they serve no purpose.
Actually I’m saying evil and suffering do serve a purpose, but only because that is the way God designed the world. That an omnipotent God chose to design the world the way it is shows a deliberate intent; he meant for evil and suffering to exist. He is not therefore a compassionate God. But if God’s intent was for us to join him in heaven, ie a place that is synonymous with a state of no suffering, then the existence of those things serves no purpose at all. In fact it is nonsensical. For why should we need to know evil in order in order to make us fit for a place that knows no evil?

Some people are better than others at turning their trials into a learning experience. Personally, I suck at it. Here's an example of someone who has suffered more than most of us can imagine and he has come out of the whole thing (actually, it's not over for him yet). This young man's mother is a friend of mine.
It's All About Perspective

I'm sure you will have little interest in browsing through the blog of someone you have never met and probably have nothing in common with, but I'm going to just share one paragraph he wrote:

"I may seem obvious now, particularly that the surgery went so well, but I want it to be known that at no point during these last often physically trying years, would I ever consider "going back" to the person that I was prior to the "accident." I'm aware that there may be some naysayers, and a few that don't believe me, but let me reiterate again- I am more blessed today than I have been at any other point in my life. The perspective that I have been given couldn't have been learned any other way except through dealing with the heartache and adversity during the last almost 5 years. The many people, the love, the support, the guidance....none of it would be possible if I hadn't been through the physical and often emotional hell that I've been through. That is such an amazing blessing in itself, and one that I will cherish for ever and ever. And that is something that all of you have played a big part in."

That is a touching account, and I’m pleased for the person concerned, but it is a very, very common argument made in defence of suffering. I see no reason at all for disbelieving what the writer describes, and I have never doubted that adversity can make people stronger; in fact there any number of anecdotal accounts to support that view. However, the argument misses the point by a mile, and I’m always surprised that the advocates are unable to see the two things that are wrong with it. As an argument for suffering it is entirely selfish in its perspective. It is centred on the individual: suffering was good for me and therefore suffering is a good thing. But it certainly isn’t true that everyone who suffers is blessed or emotionally enriched as a result. The argument doesn’t consider humanity as a whole and the problem of suffering is not mitigated in the least by particular individuals who have been fortunate to be in the bosom of love, support and kindness. A great many people throughout the world die miserable and painful deaths, alone and uncared for. Perhaps even more condemning is where the advocates present the argument as the subject’s vote of thanks: ‘…something that you have all played a big part in,’ as if to show how the suffering allowed the helpers to demonstrate their goodness. None of this a revelation, of course, as humans we are all necessarily selfish creatures.

Yes. Are you saying there are degrees of perfect? Is there an "absolute" perfect and a "less than absolute" perfect? Is there a "paradigm" of perfect and a "less than ultimate" perfect? Not that I'm aware of. Perfect either is or it isn't. Kind of like pregnant.

If there is a state of absolute perfection (meaning perfect in all things, not just in some), then anything that fails to meet that criterion is by definition less than absolutely perfect. I may make a perfect reproduction of an object or I may answer a question perfectly correctly, but I’m worse than useless when it comes to understanding quantum physics or reading a map. But God has no imperfections and doesn’t fall short in any respect; he absolute perfection.

Smoke

Done here.
I've never understood how god supposedly loves us and wants us to join him in his family in heaven, yet he put us on earth first with the capacity to fail, for which we could potentially loose the priviledge of joining him.

I doesn't make sense. Why didn't he just put us right in heaven from the beginning?
Because God doesn't believe in spoiling his children. We can see the wisdom of his plan by looking at how wise and loving humans treat their children. The foolish parent provides a safe and loving home for his children without setting conditions or creating obstacles to it; they can't appreciate it, though, because they haven't earned it and they have nothing to compare it to. The wise parent drops his children off in Tierra del Fuego with a pocket knife and a map and leaves them to find their way home. Most of them never make it home, but those who do really appreciate it when they get there. It would be unreasonable to blame the parent for the fate of the others, when -- after all -- he did give them a map and a pocket knife. It's not the parent's fault if they failed to make good use of it.

Let me ask you this, why do you not ask such questions and then search the bible for an answer?
He's asking for an explanation of the Christian perspective, and therefore it's not the Bible itself but Christian interpretations of the Bible that are of interest. Considering that some parts of the Bible flatly contradict other parts, it would be impossible to arrive at a clear biblical perspective, and even if it were possible, there would be no reason to expect it to be the same as the Christian perspective.