• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Who is Jesus to you?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

uu_sage

While I'm not a Trinitarian, I view Jesus as a prophet of God who bore witness to God whom he called Father (Abba=Daddy) and saw the light of divinity in all God's children. He sought to reform his native Judaism to reflect the prophetic tradition of Micah, Amos and Elijah. He welcomed those whom the religious authorities and the Romans considered "sinners, outcasts, and undesirables such as prostitutes, tax collectors and adulterers" He challenged the Romans and their politics of Empire and as a result he got crucified for preaching God's extravagant grace and love and for inciting revolution against Rome. He is accessible to me through his teaching and example. He is my prophet, my way shower, my master and my friend.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
My understanding of Jesus is some what uncertain.

There is little evidence that the earliest Church saw him as God. About as far as one can go along those lines, is that he was the son of God.
As my general Belief is that we all contain God's spirit, this at most makes Jesus a special case.

Jesus Sayings and teachings show him to have views that were no longer Mainstream Jewish. and he seemed to have had considerable trouble accepting the authority of their officials.

My thoughts and prayers are certainly Directed towards God. But my beliefs are based on Jesus Teachings and commands. As far as I can discern Jesus always prayed to his Father and ascribed to him all power.

Jesus also ascribed power to Faith (in God) This must be as true today as it was then.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
To me, Jesus is my role model, my King and my shephard. If it were not for Jesus, none of us could approach God the Father (Jehovah) and therefore I feel greatly indebted to him and like other christians, i have the utmost respect and admiration for him. To me he is not a baby in a manger, nor a dead man on a 'cross'... he is a powerful spirit in heaven to whom all authority has been given. I see him in his role as Gods spokesperson, Gods son, Gods executioner. Most of all I love him for leading me to God.

Jeremy Mason

To me, Jesus is my role model, my King and my shephard. If it were not for Jesus, none of us could approach God the Father (Jehovah) and therefore I feel greatly indebted to him and like other christians, i have the utmost respect and admiration for him. To me he is not a baby in a manger, nor a dead man on a 'cross'... he is a powerful spirit in heaven to whom all authority has been given. I see him in his role as Gods spokesperson, Gods son, Gods executioner. Most of all I love him for leading me to God.

Do you understand that Biblically speaking Jesus Christ is God?
subscribed.gif
Did Jesus say he was God???

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Do you understand that Biblically speaking Jesus Christ is God?
subscribed.gif
Did Jesus say he was God???

:no:

biblically, Jesus is the 'Son' of God

the relative position of Jesus was explained by the use of the 'father/son' relationship. We understand what a 'son' implies...it implies a progeny of another. If the writers really wanted us to understand that Jesus is God, then why use the 'father/son' relationship to do so. It would have been much better to use a more fitting comparison such as a husband and wife...we would understand how they could be 'one' because a husband and wife are said to become one, though both are individuals.

but to explain God and Jesus as having the relationship of a father to his son shows that one is a creation of the other. They are not one and the same...the latter comes from the same stock, but he is not the same as the stock.

Jeremy Mason

:no:

biblically, Jesus is the 'Son' of God

the relative position of Jesus was explained by the use of the 'father/son' relationship. We understand what a 'son' implies...it implies a progeny of another. If the writers really wanted us to understand that Jesus is God, then why use the 'father/son' relationship to do so. It would have been much better to use a more fitting comparison such as a husband and wife...we would understand how they could be 'one' because a husband and wife are said to become one, though both are individuals.

but to explain God and Jesus as having the relationship of a father to his son shows that one is a creation of the other. They are not one and the same...the latter comes from the same stock, but he is not the same as the stock.

Do you understand the plurality of divinity?

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
i have watch some videos and one of their topics is that according to them there's no verse in the Bible where you can find such as like this "If you accept Jesus Christ as your "PERSONAL" Lord and savior you will be saved" (Yes they are right and I agree on that.) And they said that entering the door which is Jesus Christ (according to them is in the Bible), and they read this verse John 10:9

Jesus said, "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." - John 10:9

Now this is my question, regarding the word DOOR in John 10:9,

Is this Allegorical? Literal? or Theological?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Do you understand the plurality of divinity?

i understand the plurality of the hebrew word translated as 'God'

Elohim is a noun in Hebrew which is the plural of majesty or excellence.

Im sure if you ask a hebrew speaking person they will tell you the same thing. Ask a follower of Judaism if God is a trinity.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
i have watch some videos and one of their topics is that according to them there's no verse in the Bible where you can find such as like this "If you accept Jesus Christ as your "PERSONAL" Lord and savior you will be saved" (Yes they are right and I agree on that.) And they said that entering the door which is Jesus Christ (according to them is in the Bible), and they read this verse John 10:9

Jesus said, "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." - John 10:9

Now this is my question, regarding the word DOOR in John 10:9,

Is this Allegorical? Literal? or Theological?

its a simile...Jesus was likening himself to a door because a door lets people into another room or place

Jesus is the way to God...he is like a door that opens into the presence of God. It is not a literal door...Jesus acts as a door from one place to another.

Jeremy Mason

i understand the plurality of the hebrew word translated as 'God'

Elohim is a noun in Hebrew which is the plural of majesty or excellence.

OK...now we are getting somewhere.

John 10:30-39 NIV
30 I and the Father are one.” 31 Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, 32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”
33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”
34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’d]"? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? 37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.” 39 Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.

Why did the Jewish opponents want to stone Jesus?

Gen 1:26 NIV
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

"our image" and "our likeness"? Sounds like more than one to me. Who could "our" be?

confusedius

The Shadow
To me. Jesus is the Son of God. To me, Jesus was and is His own being, free to ignore God, free to sin, free to be tempted. To me, less means a foolish game was being played, with mankind the fools.

It is hard for me to understand how anyone could study the Bible, read the words and actions of God, and of Jesus, and not see two different beings, two different "personalities" if you will, even two different opinions on some things. At the very least, Jesus countermanded a number of the rules supposedly handed down by God in the Old Testament. How could God, a perfect being, change His mind?

Beyond that, Jesus provides to me real-world advice, inspiration to try to make the world better, and much-needed light for a difficult journey. In countless ways, He has affected, for the better, my reaction to the struggles of life.

What a wonderful question you asked- thank you!

James

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Now I know that many of us would say his well-known titles and roles: Prince of Peace, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Saviour, Messiah, King of Kings.

That's not what I mean to ask. We all know Jesus's many titles and functions.

I'm asking about how you think Jesus is accessible to you --- and that answers the question regarding who Jesus is.

Example:

Do you feel that Jesus is close to you (and Christians) at all times? Then Jesus is omnipresent and always present in spirit (after all, you don't see his human body).

Do you feel that Jesus is far away, accessible only by sacrificial prayer and supplication? Then Jesus is omnipotent but shares his gifts only with the faithful.

By His own word.....brother and fellow servant.

Accessible by the parables He left behind.

Jordan St. Francis

From the earliest age I've had an awareness of a presence that is both extraordinarily intimate to me, within me, and yet in another way quite distinct and external to my person. Rarely have I been without the awareness of this "other" within, speaking in the voice of my conscience, comforting me, encouraging me and also calling me to accountability.

I've always believed and have been taught that this is God. Foremost, this presence is infinitely loving. I associate this also with the love and care of my parents and broader family and have always felt a kind of synergy working between what I received from them in the way of tender care, the awareness of God within, and the proclamation of this God through the scriptures and the mystery of the liturgy, the sacraments and the beauty of nature.

I suppose I would say I learned how to feel and connect with the love of God at the hands of others who showed me God is love by their words and deeds. Now I imagine the Christian is not alone in the perception of God inside their souls, so I suppose I have not addressed the question how do I experience Jesus specifically ?

Since Jesus is a historical person, experience of Him as such is, I believe, connected to the Church. What can be an otherwise vague and intangible sense of God's presence was made concrete and tangible to the disciples of Christ in the past and is made visible and tangible to us today through word and sacrament. The Scriptures and the traditions of the Church help us to better understand who this Jesus is by ever remembering what He did, as his mission and person are one. His Incarnation, life and Passion express precisely who he is. The Holy Mass, offered daily, renews the memory of His deeds and makes them present again.

Foremost, for me, I come to Christ in eucharistic worship. Placing myself before this specific mode of His presence and learning to respond to the greatness and depth of such a gift, I hold the Holy Eucharist in my heart all the day long (or strive to). Even when I eat a meal- a sandwich, break off a peace of bread with jam, drink from a cup of juice or a pint of beer with friends- I feel eucharistic awe well up, and alight these simple acts with joy. Of course, it extends beyond food, though the meal is important to me as something quite more than consuming bodily nourishment.

Lately, as I hope I am coming towards some measure of maturity, it is specifically the attempt to self empty, to engage in small but not insignificant acts of self sacrifice that I feel Christ present- paradoxically, first as an absence followed by an intensified presence. It is near the dark and fearful gap between what I know I should do, the satisfactions, sloth or apathy of the present moment, and that not yet present sublime happiness, that He abides.