• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians who reject the New Testament

beezer

After 50 years as a former Christian, I don't know what I could be called? Maybe a Deist, like Thomas Paine was, someone who believes in God most certainly but reject all organized religion and for the reasons he gave in his book the age of reason.

I reject the bible as the word of God as its the word of medieval goat herders and desert dwellers and lots of it don't stand up to critical analysis. The NT was written by Greek Scholars decades after the events and nothing can be verified that Jesus said what he supposed to have said and anyway, he supposed to have come back in their generation and most if not all the apostles thought the same including Paul and as he didn't appear to have returned then that rules out all claims about him being eternal and most of John's Gospel that was written by clear vested interests towards the end of the first century by the Joannine community leaders who wanted people to believe that Jesus was the incarnation. He wasn't and anyway he said himself that only one was good and that was God ie he added, 'why call me good"..

Atonement by blood sacrifice was a pagan idea when Children were sacrificed to the Gods for a failed harvest. The Jews practiced the same for atonement of their sins.

Its taken me a long long time to really study the historical references to the bible and the NT and the word of God it isn't and in my view it undermines God and they made him in their own image.

Until men and women can really think for themselves and study these so called holy scriptures in a critical way instead of accepting everything that is written, they will never understand God who is not even near their imagination.

I may fit in with the idea of Quakers who think that God is in every living thing and didn't need to become a man to understand how we live, that was nonsensenical thinking of the highest order.

The Christian Church are worshipping a man, not God and maybe that's why God has almost given up that Church for that simple reason. Judaism is probably more attuned to the idea of Jehova but without all the Abrahamic laws and stuff which were clearly part of their own ideas. Would God tell them to stone children to death for swearing? Go tell Saul to kill all the men, women and children? Say that menstruating women are unclean and be kept separate and need to offer a sacrifice in the Temple?

Its all there in the OT..

God's word?

Not in my opinion it isn't!

bretzter

I think any actual Christian,who wishes to consider him/herself a Christian,
of any Christian denomination has to accept the NT in order for him/her to
even consider themselves to be a Christian.
Because a Christian is nothing but a follower/believer of the long awaited
Messiah,Christ and Savior Jesus.
His miraculous birth,his message and teachings,numerous miracles,his
death,resurrection, and ascension into heaven.
In fact,if it weren´t for Christ´s arrival,there´d not be one Christian alive,or
a religion called Christianity.
And since all Scripture is inspired of God,written by men or not,that would
be like denying the Holy Spirit itself.
Now as for the others,these are just letters of Christ´s apostles,including
Paul,throughout their journeys when Jesus sent them on their way.
And especially those of Paul.
This guy,not only because of his background,but he seemed to literally go
everywhere in the Mediterranean region,and not only the Middle Eastern one.
Turkey,Cyprus,Greece,Macedonia,Rome,Istrea,Spain,you name it he,or
else someone he knew was actually there.
Be it Barnabas,Timothy,etc.
And on top of it all,his having to endure hardships and sufferings along the way.
I suggest that when people would not only skim over the apostles writings,
but through prayer and meditation/pondering on that what was read,as to grasp
their real meaning,they would come to the conclusion these books too are of vital
importance to a Christian,and learn to appreciate them.
Because what was prophesied in them thousands of years ago,is actually going
on around us,in our time today.
If that be so,how were they to know were they not written with help of the Holy
Spirit.
And Revelations?.
Sure that may have written by John on the island of Patmos,but was revealed to
him by none other than Jesus Christ himself.