• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*clears throat* (tiny announcement)

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
After months upon months of dithering, dathering, and a good spot of lathering (bubble baths are fun :)), I've decided to finally get started on writing a story I've been playing around with for a while. I doubt it'll go anywhere further then my hard drive, but it should be fun none-the-less.

I've already got the title nailed down, so as far as I'm concerned my work is nearly finished... ;)

(I'd cross my fingers, but it's a real bugger to type that way)

Random

Nordicßearskin said:
After months upon months of dithering, dathering, and a good spot of lathering (bubble baths are fun :)), I've decided to finally get started on writing a story I've been playing around with for a while. I doubt it'll go anywhere further then my hard drive, but it should be fun none-the-less.

I've already got the title nailed down, so as far as I'm concerned my work is nearly finished... ;)

Cool, NBS, hope your writing works out for you.

I write screenplays in my spare time, so I know how you feel. I always thought of writing as purely a hobby, but you never know dude: if it is fated that someone sees your stuff, likes it and shows another, well...you just don't always know how life will turn out and the smallest things can bloom into the biggest in a short space of time. ;)

Lots of luck and a word of advice: don't write anything, not a single word or passage, that you personally don't like: if you don't like it in the first instance, it creates the likelihood another person won't either.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Thank you for your kind words, and your advice.

As a matter of fact, ever since I can remember I've always wanted to be a writer. When I was much smaller I even took to carrying around folders upon folders of ideas and drawings for various imaginary stories of mine. I earned a few colourful nicknames at school. *smiles*

lunamoth

Will to love
Sounds like a great endeavor. Best wishes with it! I've always wanted to be able to write. Sigh, maybe I'll try it someday. :)

luna

standing_alone

Awesome! Whether only known to you and your hard drive or printed for all to see, writing can be very rewarding. Best of luck with getting your ideas to paper/word processor. :)

NordicBearskin said:
When I was much smaller I even took to carrying around folders upon folders of ideas and drawings for various imaginary stories of mine.

Awesome! Another great idea is to carry a small notebook on you so whenever you are out and about and see something or someone that you think would be interesting for a story, you can write it down while it's still fresh in your mind, but I'm sure you probably already knew that. :)

ayani

excellent! can you tell us some more about what you're writing? sci-fi? drama? autobiographical?

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Y'all are wonderful! :eek: I can't tell you, or perhaps y'all, how amazingly amazing these responses have made me feel. I'm half tempted to pour champagne and orange juice down my modem in the hopes that some will reach, erm... Y'all. ('Tis the perfect breakfast drink)

standing_alone said:
Another great idea is to carry a small notebook on you so whenever you are out and about and see something or someone that you think would be interesting for a story, you can write it down while it's still fresh in your mind
An excellent piece of advice, and one I'll be sure to heed. I vaguely recall P.G.Woodhouse complaining that for every book he wrote, three more had to be crafted in note-form first.

I've got some catching up to do.

gracie said:
can you tell us some more about what you're writing? sci-fi? drama? autobiographical?
With a willing heart, able body and dubious mind! *smiles*

From the beginning I've had three aims. I wanted to be able to identify with the central character; I wanted the story to be fantasy based, not so much for the wizards and elves angle, but for the ability to have so much creative control over the environment and background of the story, as well as being able to really immerse myself inside it. I'm actually really looking forward to suggesting some ideas on how a society like ours could develop if the circumstances were slightly different.

Thirdly, I wanted a central premise of the story to deal with decline, loss and old age. One of the stories that had the most influence on me growing up was The EarthSea Quartet, in which the last book dealt with the struggles of a once-powerful and important wizard to accept that in his old age he had become a weak, forgotten shadow of his former self. If I could capture a hint of the haunting quality that I found then, I'd be happy. :)

As for the story itself, it concerns a disillusioned monk who decides to become a hermit and builds a pole with a platform to live on top of. Living within the sky, he converses with clouds, wind-spirits, dragons and a certain talking fly named Liu, whose tales and conversations contrast with the stark realities of what his life has become. I know it doesn't sound much, but I'm hopeful.

Oh, and for Luna, the working title is Hollow Sky.

Finally and once again, thank you all for your encouragement!

CDRaider

Nordicßearskin said:
Y'all are wonderful! :eek: I can't tell you, or perhaps y'all, how amazingly amazing these responses have made me feel. I'm half tempted to pour champagne and orange juice down my modem in the hopes that some will reach, erm... Y'all. ('Tis the perfect breakfast drink)

An excellent piece of advice, and one I'll be sure to heed. I vaguely recall P.G.Woodhouse complaining that for every book he wrote, three more had to be crafted in note-form first.

I've got some catching up to do.

With a willing heart, able body and dubious mind! *smiles*

From the beginning I've had three aims. I wanted to be able to identify with the central character; I wanted the story to be fantasy based, not so much for the wizards and elves angle, but for the ability to have so much creative control over the environment and background of the story, as well as being able to really immerse myself inside it. I'm actually really looking forward to suggesting some ideas on how a society like ours could develop if the circumstances were slightly different.

Thirdly, I wanted a central premise of the story to deal with decline, loss and old age. One of the stories that had the most influence on me growing up was The EarthSea Quartet, in which the last book dealt with the struggles of a once-powerful and important wizard to accept that in his old age he had become a weak, forgotten shadow of his former self. If I could capture a hint of the haunting quality that I found then, I'd be happy. :)

As for the story itself, it concerns a disillusioned monk who decides to become a hermit and builds a pole with a platform to live on top of. Living within the sky, he converses with clouds, wind-spirits, dragons and a certain talking fly named Liu, whose tales and conversations contrast with the stark realities of what his life has become. I know it doesn't sound much, but I'm hopeful.

Oh, and for Luna, the working title is Hollow Sky.

Finally and once again, thank you all for your encouragement!

If you have questions or want ideas I don't have any off hand but my hobby is sociology! I study a ton of societies and people and how they interact and a ton of different theories and stuff.

:bow: <--- for committing to writing it. That takes a lot. I hope you update us on it.

OMGosh that sounds like a beautiful story. Seriously... you have to let me read it!

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
CDRaider said:
Do you do pen names or your name?
Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. Tempted as I am to write under a pseudynom in order to include fiendish riddles within it, I suspect I'll just use my regular name.

CDRaider said:
If you have questions or want ideas I don't have any off hand but my hobby is sociology!
Thank you! I may well take you up on that offer. :)

CDRaider said:
Seriously... you have to let me read it!
If I actually manage to get anywhere with this, youll be among the first to know. *looks vaguely for another smiling smilie*

CDRaider

Nordicßearskin said:
Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. Tempted as I am to write under a pseudynom in order to include fiendish riddles within it, I suspect I'll just use my regular name.
I acutally write under a pen name but I don't tell anyone what it is because then there is no point in having a pen name! I acutally introduce my poetry to other people as this poet I just heard about and get their reactions.

Nordicßearskin said:
Thank you! I may well take you up on that offer. :)
please do!!!! I've always wanted to write a story... I acutally had a really awesome sci-fi/fantasy dream that would have made a good basis to a story but I just dont' have the imagination to make it into a real story!

I was so proud of this dream because it was so unique but then I made the mistake of letting a non-sci-fi reader read it and they bruised my ego like all hell. lol

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Nordicßearskin said:

I wish you the best of luck! I see you have set your sights low (as in saying that your book will probably not leave the Hard drive) - I made the mistake (pre computer days) of trying to write two novels and a non- fiction book on a steam-powered typewriter.

I thought they would all be popular, but soon found that I grew accustomed to rejection letters from Publishers.......:rolleyes: