• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Closeted Chosen Ones

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I wonder how many people in the world think that their gods chosen one. I’m not talking about someone with a Messiah complex who thought they were Jesus, were sick for a brief period, went into the hospital, got some medication and now don’t think that way anymore. I’m talking about people who have been thinking this way, in secret, for many years. Also, out of all those people, I wonder how many think that when they die all of existence ends.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I wonder how many people in the world think that their gods chosen one. I’m not talking about someone with a Messiah complex who thought they were Jesus, were sick for a brief period, went into the hospital, got some medication and now don’t think that way anymore. I’m talking about people who have been thinking this way, in secret, for many years. Also, out of all those people, I wonder how many think that when they die all of existence ends.

To thine own self be true.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Out of the 8 billion people currently alive, I’d wager a guess that there are quite a few.
There’s probably a lot but in relation to 8 billion I’m guessing not that many. I think most people know that they’re not “the one”.

Tinkerpeach

Probably not that many since it’s a mental problem and out of all the possible mental conditions I would think that particular one would be a very small percentage.

Most people that think they are the chosen one like to make it known in some way or another.

RestlessSoul

I suspect most of us, if we’re honest about it, have trouble shaking off the delusion that we are the centre of the universe. That’s a function of the ego, I think.

Sumadji

I suspect most of us, if we’re honest about it, have trouble shaking off the delusion that we are the centre of the universe. That’s a function of the ego, I think.
If there's nothing for me after death, if it all just goes black for me forever after, then to myself I am the centre of the universe. The only universe I can experience is the one that presents itself to me?

RestlessSoul

If there's nothing for me after death, if it all just goes black for me forever after, then to myself I am the centre of the universe. The only universe I can experience is the one that presents itself to me?

Yeah, exactly; it’s easy to fall into that way of thinking. So I need to shift my perspective somehow, to escape that pervasive egotism. I begin by acknowledging that I am a small part of something far greater than myself.

Sumadji

Yeah, exactly; it’s easy to fall into that way of thinking. So I need to shift my perspective somehow, to escape that pervasive egotism. I begin by acknowledging that I am a small part of something far greater than myself.
The only universe is the one that I experience, including whatever I absorb of space travel and science and philosophy and religion. It’s all I can ever know about the universe. It ceases to exist if when I die the lights go out. I cannot experience anything. You cease to exist. All knowledge ceases to exist … for me?

@King Phenomenon
Am interested to know what you believe will happen to you between your death and your next rebirth? Will you just know nothing, and suddenly be back here, starting a new cycle?

Last edited:

GoodAttention

The only universe is the one that I experience, including whatever I absorb of space travel and science and philosophy and religion. It’s all I can ever know about the universe. It ceases to exist if when I die the lights go out. I cannot experience anything. You cease to exist. All knowledge ceases to exist … for me?

Suppose, on your death, I place your in a pod and I launch you into space.

Any direction of your choosing, and as your body decomposes (yes, this will be the setup), it will power and propel itself out of our solar system.

This will continue until you reach your final velocity, and every year, or perhaps longer, a camera charged by photovoltaic cells will send a photo back to Earth on your anniversary. All that will be left of you is an eyelash, perfectly preserved.

Sumadji

Suppose, on your death, I place your in a pod and I launch you into space.

Any direction of your choosing, and as your body decomposes (yes, this will be the setup), it will power and propel itself out of our solar system.

This will continue until you reach your final velocity, and every year, or perhaps longer, a camera charged by photovoltaic cells will send a photo back to Earth on your anniversary. All that will be left of you is an eyelash, perfectly preserved.
Cool. But this will be happening in your experienced universe, not mine? I won't be able to experience anything about it, so for me it's not happening? It doesn't impact on me in any way?

GoodAttention

Cool. But this will be happening in your experienced universe, not mine? I won't be able to experience anything about it, so for me it's not happening?

I would love to tell you a single eye lash meant your existence could still be experienced, but no, there is no logic behind my words, only wishful thinking.

On the other hand, every year you would not only remind us of your previous existence, but hopefully also "shine light" on a part of the universe no one has experienced.

Sumadji

I would love to tell you a single eye lash meant your existence could still be experienced, but no, there is no logic behind my words, only wishful thinking.

On the other hand, every year you would not only remind us of your previous existence, but hopefully also "shine light" on a part of the universe no one has experienced.
It's like the multiverse theory trying to explain this universe by proposing infinite others, but none of which we will ever be able to see or know in any way?

GoodAttention

It's like the multiverse theory trying to explain this universe by proposing infinite others, but none of which we will ever be able to see or know in any way?

Not at all. Think of the Voyager space craft, 50 years on and still sending us information.

Now imagine a billion such vessels in 100 years send humans on Earth photos and other information back.

One universe, our universe, being explored.