• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Collateral Murder

Because it wasnt the same mission!, at the time of the shooting they were in fire support for the on going operation.

The second incident is unrelated to that operation and i am assuming would be in different circumstances.I am sure that That particular Apache saw lots of vehicles thnt day and every other day .
It seems to be impossible to verify because the "unedited" video on the wikileaks site appears to have a break at 31:16. I thought I remembered pretty clearly in an unedited video they spotted another vehicle in the very same mission, but perhaps I'm remembering the recorded transcripts/testimonies from the investigation.

In any case I don't see how it's okay to shoot unarmed civilians all of a sudden because you are in fire support of an ongoing operation. That sucks for Iraqis -- they all become targets every time the Americans decide to do an operation.

kai

ragamuffin
It seems to be impossible to verify because the "unedited" video on the wikileaks site appears to have a break at 31:16. I thought I remembered pretty clearly in an unedited video they spotted another vehicle in the very same mission, but perhaps I'm remembering the recorded transcripts/testimonies from the investigation.

In any case I don't see how it's okay to shoot unarmed civilians all of a sudden because you are in fire support of an ongoing operation. That sucks for Iraqis -- they all become targets every time the Americans decide to do an operation.

I remember a statement stating later that day they didnt engage a vehicle ( cant remember why) and that they didnt engaged another party of armed men because there was a boy there and they waited for the boy to leave but i cant go through all that info again.

Whats clear from this is that they weren't marauding around Baghdad firing on anything that moved.

They didn't believe they were firing on unarmed civilians they believed the van to be the same vehicle that was depositing and picking up insurgents that morning and was part of the same group they had just engaged.( we now all agree that was a mistake)

The ground troops were under small arms fire before during and after the incident from various points.There was a lot going on there.

Its very important to take all this into consideration and isolate it from the actual events it was part of.

P. S.

one statement says they saw groups of men that another unit had engaged but couldn't see which group had weapons because of "target obscuration by buildings" so didn't engage, they also spotted 3-4 military aged males get into a vehicle near a building that insurgents had fled into and drive away but didn't engage they don't say why but they don't mention the men being armed so i assume that's why. They also used Hellfire missiles at some insurgents in a building and Your right this is all the same mission. it went on from 09:30 to 1400.

i have to repeat that whats clear from this, is that they weren't marauding around Baghdad firing on anything that moved in fact . If we take it that the van wasn't the vehicle depositing and picking up insurgents that day then they made a mistake in what was a very hectic morning,

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
If you want to balance your viewing of the edited wikileaks video with an imbedded journalist's perspective, as well as an overview of that entire morning and the subsequent findings of the investigation, I recommend this excellent book:

Amazon.com: The Good Soldiers (9780374165734): David Finkel: Books

This is the best book I've ever read when it comes to accurately describing the mindset of today's American GI.

I love the book because it's absolutely non-political. It's only "agenda" seems to be giving the general public a look inside the life and mind of a deployed soldier.

The unit the journalist (Washington Post reporter David Finkel) was with is the unit in the wikileaks video and he was with that unit on the day in question. Pages 105-114 describe the incident and the investigation.

kai said:
i have to repeat that whats clear from this, is that they weren't marauding around Baghdad firing on anything that moved in fact . If we take it that the van wasn't the vehicle depositing and picking up insurgents that day then they made a mistake in what was a very hectic morning,
I never said they were shooting anything that moves. I said they wrongfully shot unarmed civilians when they shot the van. You said they made "the best decision given the information they had at the time", how can a mistake also be the best decision?

kai

ragamuffin
I never said they were shooting anything that moves. I said they wrongfully shot unarmed civilians when they shot the van. You said they made "the best decision given the information they had at the time", how can a mistake also be the best decision?

My point is their behaviour throughout the mission shows that they took care to not shoot unarmed civilians.

A mistake is sometimes the end product of that " best decision at the time" as it turned out that there were civilians in the van and not insurgents.

How do you think blue on blue happens? hey if we were infallible or precognitive or had xray vision there wouldn't ever be any mistakes .

But we have to make do with making the best decisions, given the information we have at the time.

and don't tell me Spinks you dont know the process of working something out making a decision ,acting on it and finding out later that you were wrong.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For example, in WWII after a German battleship was sunk, the sailors struggling in the water were not treated by the British as "terrorists" who could be shot like fish in a barrel, despite the undoubted fact that some of them were assisting the wounded.
No, because a sailor in the water isn't a threat to you whether he's helping the wounded or not. But if a German destroyer had come around to pick up survivors, the British would've considered it fair game.

The unarmed and wounded Germans were rescued and offered help by the British in accordance with the rules of war.
Depends on the situation. Often, in the middle of a battle or on a convoy mission, ships wouldn't stop to pick up anyone, friend or foe, because if they did, they'd be sunk themselves.

kai

ragamuffin
If you want to balance your viewing of the edited wikileaks video with an imbedded journalist's perspective, as well as an overview of that entire morning and the subsequent findings of the investigation, I recommend this excellent book:

Amazon.com: The Good Soldiers (9780374165734): David Finkel: Books

This is the best book I've ever read when it comes to accurately describing the mindset of today's American GI.

I love the book because it's absolutely non-political. It's only "agenda" seems to be giving the general public a look inside the life and mind of a deployed soldier.

The unit the journalist (Washington Post reporter David Finkel) was with is the unit in the wikileaks video and he was with that unit on the day in question. Pages 105-114 describe the incident and the investigation.

Cheers for the book. Kathryn i will try and get that.

P.S.
I got it for £3.65 on the UK version of Amazon

Last edited:
No, because a sailor in the water isn't a threat to you whether he's helping the wounded or not. But if a German destroyer had come around to pick up survivors, the British would've considered it fair game.
What if an unarmed civilian boat came around to pick up survivors? Fair game?
Depends on the situation. Often, in the middle of a battle or on a convoy mission, ships wouldn't stop to pick up anyone, friend or foe, because if they did, they'd be sunk themselves.
You're missing the point. Yes sometimes they didn't help but here's what they did not (and should not) do: shoot them like fish in a barrel.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What if an unarmed civilian boat came around to pick up survivors? Fair game?
If they knew for a fact that it was a civilan boat, no. If they had reason to suspect that it was actually an enemy boat in disguise, maybe.

You're missing the point. Yes sometimes they didn't help but here's what they did not (and should not) do: shoot them like fish in a barrel.
There's a difference between deliberately shooting at the wounded and deliberately shooting at the enemy despite the fact that wounded are present.

My point is their behaviour throughout the mission shows that they took care to not shoot unarmed civilians.

A mistake is sometimes the end product of that " best decision at the time" as it turned out that there were civilians in the van and not insurgents.

How do you think blue on blue happens? hey if we were infallible or precognitive or had xray vision there wouldn't ever be any mistakes .

But we have to make do with making the best decisions, given the information we have at the time.

and don't tell me Spinks you dont know the process of working something out making a decision ,acting on it and finding out later that you were wrong.
We're not talking about how things turn out in hindsight. We're talking about making the right decision given the information available to you at the time. If you shoot a civilian without PID any weapons, that is the wrong decision given the information available to you at the time. It is not a simple mistake because you find out, in hindsight, that he was a civilian. It's the wrong decision, because the information available to you at the time did not justify shooting.

I have to let this go, clearly we are not going to see eye-to-eye. Good discussion though, I agree to disagree with you. :)

kai

ragamuffin
We're not talking about how things turn out in hindsight. We're talking about making the right decision given the information available to you at the time. If you shoot a civilian without PID any weapons, that is the wrong decision given the information available to you at the time. It is not a simple mistake because you find out, in hindsight, that he was a civilian. It's the wrong decision, because the information available to you at the time did not justify shooting.

Of course we are if the people in the van were armed it wouldn't even have been on wikileaks.

Its the outcome of a decision that renders it right or wrong . just like a US weapons operator firing on a contact that turns out to be a British or another US unit, its the same thing and it happens.

your entitled to you opinion and maybe you wouldn't have opened fire and maybe with a bit of combat experience you would have but i am glad you will probably never be in that position.. i agree with the military investigation

I have to let this go, clearly we are not going to see eye-to-eye. Good discussion though, I agree to disagree with you. :)

and yes i have to let this go to!! and i gladly agree to disagree with you.

now theres one thing we have to do ,and thats get the hell out of this thread:D .

If they knew for a fact that it was a civilan boat, no. If they had reason to suspect that it was actually an enemy boat in disguise, maybe.
What do you mean by "reason to suspect"? You mean, at some point in the past, they have encountered an enemy boat in disguise? One can never know for a fact that a civilian is a civilian. One approach to this dilemma is to protect civilian lives and assume innocence until evidence shows otherwise, at some increased risk of letting some enemies get away, and at some increased risk to soldiers. Another approach is to risk civilian lives, while ensuring fewer enemies escape and ensuring greater safety for soldiers. I believe in approach #1. Hypothetically, when fighting an insurgency protecting innocent lives is the primary objective, killing the enemy and putting your own soldiers at risk is the means to accomplish this. If our primary objective is to protect our own soldiers then this would best be accomplished by not sending them to insurgent-infested Iraq in the first place.

That's why Crazyhorse-18 doesn't fire on people without PID weapons. They assumed the guys in the van had weapons instead of evaluating the information in front of them. That was not the "best decision".
There's a difference between deliberately shooting at the wounded and deliberately shooting at the enemy despite the fact that wounded are present.
But there's a difference between that, and what we're talking about. We're talking about shooting two unarmed civilians who are helping one wounded enemy. To use the WWII analogy, consider one civilian boat helping a wounded German sailor at sea. Open fire? Come on.

kai

ragamuffin
But they did evaluate the information in front of them and and that information led them to believe the van to be the same vehicle that was moving insurgents around the area that morning.which is why it was designated as a target and other vehicles were not.

this sea survivors thing really doesnt fit the bill. and i am really getting out of here.

Spinkles dont worry about me save yourself man

kai said:
Its the outcome of a decision that renders it right or wrong . just like a US weapons operator firing on a contact that turns out to be a British or another US unit, its the same thing and it happens.
No that wouldn't be the wrong decision, that would be the right decision with a bad outcome. (I'm assuming that it's generally acceptable to fire on a contact. Right?)

A better analogy would be a US weapons operator, who says he sees/hears contact, when in fact there was no contact to be seen/heard. He fires in a direction of the imaginary contact, that ends up killing British or another US unit.

kai

ragamuffin
No that wouldn't be the wrong decision, that would be the right decision with a bad outcome. (I'm assuming that it's generally acceptable to fire on a contact. Right?) well if you say so, but in my book thats the wrong decision leading to a bad outcome. Yes you fire on a contact when you beleive its a contact then you live with the outcome of that decision to fire

A better analogy would be a US weapons operator, who says he sees/hears contact, when in fact there was no contact to be seen/heard. He fires in a direction of the imaginary contact, that ends up killing British or another US unit.

No thats a lie

Just when you thought you were out ---they pull you back in.

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
LOL you are joking, right? Maybe I'm wrong that it's a better analogy but I couldn't possibly be lying ...

no i am not joking. not you lying Lol, but the weapons operator. a better one is an unmarked van heading towards your check point. it wont stop you open fire and when you investigate there's civilians and two kids in there. someone films it and years later its on wikileaks titled "collateral murder".

Last edited:
no i am not joking. not you lying Lol, but the weapons operator. a better one is an unmarked van heading towards your check point. it wont stop you open fire and when you investigate there's civilians and two kids in there. someone films it and years later its on wikileaks titled "collateral murder".
So if the weapons operator in my hypothetical is lying, then the pilots in the collateral murder video are lying. They said the guys in the van were picking up bodies and weapons. Not true.