• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comments on the Bhagavad Gita from people you wouldn't think of

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Albert Einstein: When I read the Bhagavad-Gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous.

Henry David Thoreau: In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous and cosmogonal philosophy of the Bhagavad-gita, in comparison with which our modern world and its literature seem puny and trivial.

Dr. Albert Schweitzer: The Bhagavad-Gita has a profound influence on the spirit of mankind by its devotion to God which is manifested by actions.

Carl Jung: The idea that man is like unto an inverted tree seems to have been current in by gone ages. The link with Vedic conceptions is provided by Plato in his Timaeus in which it states..." behold we are not an earthly but a heavenly plant." This correlation can be discerned by what Krishna expresses in chapter 15 of Bhagavad-Gita.

Herman Hesse: The marvel of the Bhagavad-Gita is its truly beautiful revelation of life's wisdom which enables philosophy to blossom into religion.

Ralph Waldo Emerson: I owed a magnificent day to the Bhagavad-gita. It was the first of books; it was as if an empire spoke to us, nothing small or unworthy, but large, serene, consistent, the voice of an old intelligence which in another age and climate had pondered and thus disposed of the same questions which exercise us.

Rudolph Steiner: In order to approach a creation as sublime as the Bhagavad-Gita with full understanding it is necessary to attune our soul to it.

Aldous Huxley: The Bhagavad-Gita is the most systematic statement of spiritual evolution of endowing value to mankind. It is one of the most clear and comprehensive summaries of perennial philosophy ever revealed; hence its enduring value is subject not only to India but to all of humanity.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I've seen some of those quotes before, part of which convinced me to put time into reading the Gita. It is such a wonderful text and Krishna to me, will always be such a great divinity. He is everything I imagined God to be like. I love him so much!

I love the book loads too, I often feel like reading it again and I tresure it. I learned much from it and found it to be amazingly "advanced" comparatively to other religious texts. Everyone could benefit from reading it. :) Even if they're not into Hinduism (but I'm considering it).

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
There are similar lists for western thinkers on Buddhism. During the 18 and 1900's, many philosophers, scientists, and artists were extremely interested in Eastern ideas. Many people would probably be surprised to learn that Einstein was so interested in Hinduism and Buddhism.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen some of those quotes before, part of which convinced me to put time into reading the Gita. It is such a wonderful text and Krishna to me, will always be such a great divinity. He is everything I imagined God to be like. I love him so much!

I love the book loads too, I often feel like reading it again and tresure it. I learned much from it and found it to be amazingly "advanced" comparatively to other religious texts. Everyone could benefit from reading it. :) Even if they're not into Hinduism (but I'm considering it).

Here is an on-line version of the Gita. I use it often. The Bhagavad Gita with Commentaries of Ramanuja, Madhva, Shankara and Others.

Jai Sri Krishna!

There are similar lists for western thinkers on Buddhism. During the 18 and 1900's, many philosophers, scientists, and artists were extremely interested in Eastern ideas. Many people would probably be surprised to learn that Einstein was so interested in Hinduism and Buddhism.

Yes, there was a big interest in all things Eastern by authors and thinkers. Herman Hesse wrote "Siddhartha" and "Journey to the East". I read "Siddhartha" a couple of times, beginning in high school. In fact, I still have my original paperback version.

It does help that many of these famous dudes were the typical American Transcendentalists, who found truth inwards and in nature, wherever they found upliftment for the internal soul. :p

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
And would that more people paid attention to them!

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Unfortunately, all of these great western thinkers are known by what their specialty was, whether religion, art, philosophy, etc. So what they had to say about Eastern religion generally gets bypassed. Like I said earlier, I'm willing to bet that most people have no idea that Einstein had such a high regard for Hinduism and Buddhism. Or that C.G. Jung incorporated Eastern ideas into his psychology. Or that Emerson's poetry was inspired by both the Gita and Buddhist scriptures.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, all of these great western thinkers are known by what their specialty was, whether religion, art, philosophy, etc. So what they had to say about Eastern religion generally gets bypassed. Like I said earlier, I'm willing to bet that most people have no idea that Einstein had such a high regard for Hinduism and Buddhism. Or that C.G. Jung incorporated Eastern ideas into his psychology. Or that Emerson's poetry was inspired by both the Gita and Buddhist scriptures.

Very true. Even Carl Sagan spoke about the Vedic cosmology in his documentaries. But the east in general is ignored in western nations. In ancient history class you could learn about almost any civilisation in the world, except India and some other select few Asian nations.
Even the Beatles were hugely into Hinduism at one stage. But most people haven't a clue about it.

It's mystifying.

kaisersose

There have been a couple of discussion on this topic in the past. At least the first statement attributed to Einstein is bogus. The people who defended this claim were unable to produce any reliable source for the quote or explain the statement in the context of Einstein's Atheistic/Agnostic outlook.

I cannot comment on the other statements, but if this was one single list on the internet, then they are all questionable as well.

I do not think the BG's worth rises or falls on the opinions of celebrities.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There have been a couple of discussion on this topic in the past. ...

I do not think the BG's worth rises or falls on the opinions of celebrities.

And now there's one more discussion.

Its "worth" is not the point. :cool: Hint: "Comments on the Bhagavad Gita coming from people you wouldn't think of".

Satyamavejayanti

Albert Einstein: When I read the Bhagavad-Gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous.

Henry David Thoreau: In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous and cosmogonal philosophy of the Bhagavad-gita, in comparison with which our modern world and its literature seem puny and trivial.

Dr. Albert Schweitzer: The Bhagavad-Gita has a profound influence on the spirit of mankind by its devotion to God which is manifested by actions.

Carl Jung: The idea that man is like unto an inverted tree seems to have been current in by gone ages. The link with Vedic conceptions is provided by Plato in his Timaeus in which it states..." behold we are not an earthly but a heavenly plant." This correlation can be discerned by what Krishna expresses in chapter 15 of Bhagavad-Gita.

Herman Hesse: The marvel of the Bhagavad-Gita is its truly beautiful revelation of life's wisdom which enables philosophy to blossom into religion.

Ralph Waldo Emerson: I owed a magnificent day to the Bhagavad-gita. It was the first of books; it was as if an empire spoke to us, nothing small or unworthy, but large, serene, consistent, the voice of an old intelligence which in another age and climate had pondered and thus disposed of the same questions which exercise us.

Rudolph Steiner: In order to approach a creation as sublime as the Bhagavad-Gita with full understanding it is necessary to attune our soul to it.

Aldous Huxley: The Bhagavad-Gita is the most systematic statement of spiritual evolution of endowing value to mankind. It is one of the most clear and comprehensive summaries of perennial philosophy ever revealed; hence its enduring value is subject not only to India but to all of humanity.

Add this one to the list,

Julius R Oppenheimer 1904-1967, Physicist, known as the father of the atomic bomb quotes>
"What we shall find in Modern Physics is an exemplification,
an encouragement and a refinement of old Hindu wisdom.
source: The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra".

"Access to the Vedas is the greatest privilege this
century may claim over all previous centuries.
source: India as a Creative Civilization - by N. S. Rajaram",

"The juxtaposition of Western civilization’s
terrifying scientific achievement with the most
description of the mystical experience given
the Bhagavad Gita, India’s greatest literary monument.
source: The Eye of Shiva: Eastern Mysticism And
Science - by Amaury de Riencourt"

While witnessing the first Atomic bomb explosion at the Trinity Test in
New Mexico on July 16, 1945 he emotionally exclaimed two
couplets from the Bhagavad Gita:
'If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once
into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one...'
‘Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.’

Wannabe Yogi

There have been a couple of discussion on this topic in the past. At least the first statement attributed to Einstein is bogus.

True ! But he did have positive things to say about Buddhism.

I cannot comment on the other statements, but if this was one single list on the internet, then they are all questionable as well.

Both Thoreau and Emerson wrote on the subject of Hinduism. It is a well know fact.

Aldous Huxley had a Hindu Guru and wrote an Introduction to the Gita.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
  • Hinduism and Buddhism offer much more sophisticated worldviews (or philosophies) and I see nothing wrong with these religions.
  • Hindu polytheism isn't really polytheism but monotheism in disguise.
Mark Twain even commented:

Land of religions, cradle of human race, birthplace of human speech (maybe he subscribed to the Out of India theory :p), grandmother of legend, great grandmother of tradition. The land that all men desire to see and having seen once even by a glimpse, would not give that glimpse for the shows of the rest of the globe combined.

It is a good and gentle religion, but inconvenient. (maybe he meant the rituals?)

India had the start of the whole world in the beginning of things. She had the first civilization; she had the first accumulation of material wealth; she was populous with deep thinkers and subtle intellects; she had mines, and woods, and a fruitful soul.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Hindu polytheism isn't really polytheism but monotheism in disguise.Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Monotheism talks of God who art in heaven or named so and so, who ALONE is to be worshiped and worshiped in a particular way. I don't think any teaching of Hinduism has ever adopted such a position. They anthropomorphize and celebrate the perfection and wholesomeness of all existence in various expressions and call on all to participate according to their propensity. Particular expressions, taken in isolation, are mistaken by non-Hindus as monotheism.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think what he means is that westerners think Hinduism is polytheistic (they do), but it's not; I think he's using the word "montheistic" to point out to those westerners and uninformed that Hinduism has only one God, Brahman. Especially considering Dawkins is a consummate atheist. Just my guess.

kaisersose

I think what he means is that westerners think Hinduism is polytheistic (they do), but it's not; I think he's using the word "montheistic" to point out to those westerners and uninformed that Hinduism has only one God, Brahman. Especially considering Dawkins is a consummate atheist. Just my guess.

As has been discussed earlier on this forum, Hinduism is as polytheistic as it gets.

But this is not the problem. The problem is with the all-too-common mindset that polytheism is somehow inferior to monotheism and hence, a need to stay away from it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As has been discussed earlier on this forum, Hinduism is as polytheistic as it gets.

I must be in a minority then, because I've always considered Hinduism monotheistic, with the deities simply expansions or manifestations of Brahman. I thought that was the majority view. :shrug:

But this is not the problem. The problem is with the all-too-common mindset that polytheism is somehow inferior to monotheism and hence, a need to stay away from it.

Well on that I cannot agree more. :yes: I attribute that mind-set to the Abrahamic traditions.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I always thought there were a variety of 'theisms' in Hinduism, such as polytheism, monotheism, henotheism, pantheism, panentheism, etc.